Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

TomYoung

Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
(This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)

Hi all:

For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
my credentials" message *is* ticked.

I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
relate to this issue.

Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
the problem?

Thanks.

Tom Young
Sunny Central

RE: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
Hi, in reply to you Tom Young, I have been having the same problem, I cannot
use my email because computer keeps asking for User Name and Password. Have
you found the answer yet?
Molly Kennedy

"TomYoung" wrote:

> (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
> Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)
>
> Hi all:
>
> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> relate to this issue.
>
> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> the problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Young

amitesh

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password

please check your network or proxy setting

--
amitesh
TomYoung

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
On Oct 19, 11:47*pm, Sunny Central <Sunny
Cent...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi, in reply to you Tom Young, I have been having the same problem, I cannot
> use my email because computer keeps asking for User Name and Password. *Have
> you found the answer yet?
> Molly Kennedy
>
> "TomYoung" wrote:
> > (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
> > Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)

> > Hi all:

> > For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> > window opens asking for my User Name and Password. *When I respond to
> > this request Mail works as it normally does. *And, yes, the "Remember
> > my credentials" message *is* ticked.

> > I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> > Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> > periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> > Mail issue. *McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> > and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> > Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> > disabled." *I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> > relate to this issue.

> > Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> > the problem?

> > Thanks.

> > Tom Young

Removing and reinstalling McAfee seems to have done the trick. Mail
is no longer asking for User Name and Password.

Tom Young
hooflngpoo

RE: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
if not the fact that i cant login, its to remember each one (username and
password)
so if you dont mind i need help with both.
"TomYoung" wrote:

> (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
> Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)
>
> Hi all:
>
> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> relate to this issue.
>
> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> the problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Young

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
That type of error is usually caused by interference from a non-
compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off your antivirus email scanning function does not resolve
your problem, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it
is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive antivirus
programs: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Sunny Central" <Sunny Central@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, in reply to you Tom Young, I have been having the same problem, I cannot
> use my email because computer keeps asking for User Name and Password. Have
> you found the answer yet?
> Molly Kennedy
>
> "TomYoung" wrote:
>
>> (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
>> Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
>> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
>> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
>> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
>> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
>> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
>> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
>> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
>> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
>> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
>> relate to this issue.
>>
>> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
>> the problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tom Young

TomYoung

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
It's the same problem I was having. If I filled out the User Name and
Password prompts then Mail worked normally. It's just that I had to
go through the process every time I opened Mail.

Completely uninstalling and then reinstalling McAfee has fixed the
Mail problem.

Tom Young

On Oct 20, 9:10*am, hooflngpoo <hooflng...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> if not the fact that i cant login, its to remember each one (username and
> password)
> so if you dont mind i need help with both.
>
> "TomYoung" wrote:
> > (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
> > Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)

> > Hi all:

> > For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> > window opens asking for my User Name and Password. *When I respond to
> > this request Mail works as it normally does. *And, yes, the "Remember
> > my credentials" message *is* ticked.

> > I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> > Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> > periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> > Mail issue. *McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> > and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> > Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> > disabled." *I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> > relate to this issue.

> > Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> > the problem?

> > Thanks.

> > Tom Young

Ed Campbell

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
I have been having the same problem as the other users in this post. I am
using Mcafee anti virus and I have disabled e-mail scanning and I also tried
to install the Live Mail. Both of those attempts failed to fix the problem.
I have the exact same error with Live mail as I had with Vista mail.

Any other suggestions? Kind of stuck here.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> That type of error is usually caused by interference from a non-
> compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> If turning off your antivirus email scanning function does not resolve
> your problem, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it
> is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive antivirus
> programs: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
> explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Sunny Central" <Sunny Central@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, in reply to you Tom Young, I have been having the same problem, I cannot
> > use my email because computer keeps asking for User Name and Password. Have
> > you found the answer yet?
> > Molly Kennedy
> >
> > "TomYoung" wrote:
> >
> >> (This may be a duplicate posting, but the original never showed up.
> >> Apologies in advance if you end up seeing this twice.)
> >>
> >> Hi all:
> >>
> >> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> >> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> >> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> >> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> >> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> >> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> >> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> >> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> >> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> >> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> >> relate to this issue.
> >>
> >> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> >> the problem?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Tom Young

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033

If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:

--

"Ed Campbell" <Ed Campbell @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4486010D-D5BF-4100-B958-6E18FE333853@microsoft.com...
>I have been having the same problem as the other users in this post. I am
> using Mcafee anti virus and I have disabled e-mail scanning and I also tried
> to install the Live Mail. Both of those attempts failed to fix the problem.
> I have the exact same error with Live mail as I had with Vista mail.
>
> Any other suggestions? Kind of stuck here.
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> That type of error is usually caused by interference from a non-
>> compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
>> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
>> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
>> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>>
>> If turning off your antivirus email scanning function does not resolve
>> your problem, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it
>> is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive antivirus
>> programs: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
>> explained here:
>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Sunny Central" <Sunny Central@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, in reply to you Tom Young, I have been having the same problem, I cannot
>> > use my email because computer keeps asking for User Name and Password. Have
>> > you found the answer yet?
>> > Molly Kennedy

Ed Campbell

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
I totally deleted Mcafee. (Using uninstall and the tool you referenced
earlier)
Cleared out the Windows Live Mail account
rebooted
Recreated the Windows Live mail account (no Anti virus installed at all)
Logged into the Comcast Web mail to validate that the account was ok (It was)
logged out of comcast web mail
Logged into windows live mail
Could not access because of password / userid issues.

Still stuck :-(

Any other suggestions.

Thanks.