Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

TomYoung

Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
Hi all:

For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
my credentials" message *is* ticked.

I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
relate to this issue.

Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
the problem?

Thanks.
P Richard Yarbrough

RE: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password

"TomYoung" wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> relate to this issue.
>
> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> the problem?
>
> Thanks.

You may have 'Secure Password Authentication' turned on.
To find out / turn it off:
Open Windows Mail > Tools > Accounts >
Left click to highlight your account and click the Properties button.
In Properties, under the 'Servers' tab, see if 'Log on using Secure Password
Authentication' box is checked. If it is, uncheck it. This should disable the
log on feature.

Also on the Servers tab, make sure you have entered your email account
password in the Password field.

One more thing to check on the Servers tab:
Click settings and select the radio button: 'Use same settings as my
incoming mail server'.

TomYoung

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
On Oct 19, 10:58*am, P Richard Yarbrough
<PRichardYarbro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "TomYoung" wrote:
> > Hi all:

> > For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> > window opens asking for my User Name and Password. *When I respond to
> > this request Mail works as it normally does. *And, yes, the "Remember
> > my credentials" message *is* ticked.

> > I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> > Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> > periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> > Mail issue. *McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> > and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> > Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> > disabled." *I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> > relate to this issue.

> > Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> > the problem?

> > Thanks.

> You may have 'Secure Password Authentication' turned on.
> [snip]

No, it's not turned on.

> Also on the Servers tab, make sure you have entered your email account
> password in the Password field.

I entered the password multiple times before giving up and posting
here. However, the password would *type* in OK (series of round dots)
but the field would be blank the next time I looked at it. I've just
uninstalled and re-installed McAfee and now the password field *is*
filled in and Mail seems to be behaving, for the moment.

Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
The main cause for your problem is McAfee.
McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033

If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:

Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
of overly intrusive antivirus products: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
for the reason explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0197c8e7-d203-4700-bacb-9b9a61c5eb17@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all:
>
> For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> my credentials" message *is* ticked.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> relate to this issue.
>
> Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> the problem?
>
> Thanks.

RLS

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password

I have the same problem but I am not using McAfee, I am using AVG. None
of the fixes that have beenlisted have worked.

--
RLS
RLS's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rls.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TomYoung

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
Removing and reinstalling McAfee, the 1st step I took, seems to have
cured the problem.

Thanks.

On Oct 19, 6:05*pm, "Gary VanderMolen" <G...@NoMail.invalid> wrote:
> The main cause for your problem is McAfee.
> McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
> First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
> Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
> restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.
>
> If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
> McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033
>
> If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
> program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:
>
> Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
> to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
> of overly intrusive antivirus products:http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
> for the reason explained here:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
> "TomYoung" <tgyo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:0197c8e7-d203-4700-bacb-9b9a61c5eb17@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi all:

> > For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> > window opens asking for my User Name and Password. *When I respond to
> > this request Mail works as it normally does. *And, yes, the "Remember
> > my credentials" message *is* ticked.

> > I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> > Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> > periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> > Mail issue. *McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> > and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> > Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> > disabled." *I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> > relate to this issue.

> > Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> > the problem?

> > Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
A temporary fix at best. The same problem will return.

--

"TomYoung" <tgyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:929f712a-f7fb-4305-aa98-5d55b73b5fce@q26g2000prq.googlegroups.com...
Removing and reinstalling McAfee, the 1st step I took, seems to have
cured the problem.

Thanks.

On Oct 19, 6:05 pm, "Gary VanderMolen" <G...@NoMail.invalid> wrote:
> The main cause for your problem is McAfee.
> McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
> First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
> Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
> restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.
>
> If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
> McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal
> tool:http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033
>
> If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
> program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:
>
> Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
> to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
> of overly intrusive antivirus products:http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
> for the reason explained here:http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
> "TomYoung" <tgyo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:0197c8e7-d203-4700-bacb-9b9a61c5eb17@t42g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi all:

> > For the last two days when I open Windows Mail a new Windows Security
> > window opens asking for my User Name and Password. When I respond to
> > this request Mail works as it normally does. And, yes, the "Remember
> > my credentials" message *is* ticked.

> > I'm not sure if this is a Windows Mail issue or a McAfee Security
> > Center problem - both programs were recently updated - but McAfee is
> > periodically reporting a problem that seems like it may relate to the
> > Mail issue. McAfee reports "Privacy Service shut down unexpectedly
> > and Personal Information Protection is now disabled" and "Privacy
> > Service shut down unexpectedly and Parental Controls is now
> > disabled." I can't find anything at the McAfee site that seems to
> > relate to this issue.

> > Can anybody shed some light as to what's going on here and how to fix
> > the problem?

> > Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
Chances are, you installed AVG antivirus using its default install option.
If so, uninstall it, then reinstall, but select 'custom' install, which then
allows you to unselect installing its troublesome email scanning module.

While AVG is uninstalled, try Windows Mail again, just to verify that
the culprit has been found.

--

"RLS" <RLS.3hl27b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:RLS.3hl27b@DoNotSpam.com...

> I have the same problem but I am not using McAfee, I am using AVG. None
> of the fixes that have beenlisted have worked.
>

> --
> RLS
> RLS's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rls.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1057759.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Pyro

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Chances are, you installed AVG antivirus using its default install option.
> If so, uninstall it, then reinstall, but select 'custom' install, which then
> allows you to unselect installing its troublesome email scanning module.
>
> While AVG is uninstalled, try Windows Mail again, just to verify that
> the culprit has been found.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "RLS" <RLS.3hl27b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:RLS.3hl27b@DoNotSpam.com...
> >
> > I have the same problem but I am not using McAfee, I am using AVG. None
> > of the fixes that have beenlisted have worked.
> >

> > --
> > RLS
> > RLS's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rls.htm
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1057759.htm
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Pyro

Re: Mail keeps asking for User Name and Password
I'm also having the same problem but I am using Bullguard.

Just following the threads here, I went into e-mail tools and changed my
password and it sometimes works okay and other times still keeps prompting me
for my password. Seems that a number of antivirus programs are causing the
same problem.