Cannot send/receive email - BTinternet.com

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

sandgrown

Cannot send/receive email - BTinternet.com

Hi
New user so apologies in advance if I do something wrong!

New PC today with Vista/Windows Mail and cannot send or receive mail. I
am sure set up is correct with appropriate ticks in 'server requires
authentication' etc. My ISP Helpdesk using that little programme that
takes over my keyboard/screen has tried for over an hour to set up my
mail and has failed too and their IT staff say it must be a Windows Mail
software issue.
When trying to send/receive mail, I get the following error message;

WINDOWS SECURITY.

LOGON TO WINDOWS MAIL.
PLEASE VERIFY THAT BOTH THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD ARE CORRECT FOR YOUR
MAIL SERVER.

USER NAME ....
PASSWORD ....

However if the ISP Helpdesk or I use exactly the same
settings/password/account name etc via the ISP's own webmail it is
perfect.

I have read through previous posts but nothing has worked.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

--
sandgrown
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Cannot send/receive email - BTinternet.com
If you are sure you are using the correct username and password,
one possible cause for that error is account corruption. One thing
you might try as a possible quick fix is to delete that corrupted
account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.
If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.

Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)