Where can I access Windows Mail emails?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Sharon

Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded with
Windows Mail).
How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log on
anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
computer that does not use Vista.
Thank you
Sharon
DL

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
Mail is for Vista, it is the new incarnation of Outlook Express, which is
instaled as part of the o/s in pre Vista o/s

"Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
> home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded
> with
> Windows Mail).
> How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log
> on
> anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
> computer that does not use Vista.
> Thank you
> Sharon

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
You can't install Windows Mail on a Windows XP computer, but you can
install Windows Live Mail or use Outlook Express. All three of those
programs perform fairly similar basic email functions.

So, it would simply be a matter of adding your work email account to
whatever email program the other computers have.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21DC9C4-4E0F-4FC5-BE33-493BC479C19E@microsoft.com...
>I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
> home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded with
> Windows Mail).
> How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log on
> anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
> computer that does not use Vista.
> Thank you
> Sharon

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
"Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
> home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded
> with
> Windows Mail).
> How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log
> on
> anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
> computer that does not use Vista.
> Thank you
> Sharon

Set it up in Outlook Express just like you did in Vista. They are exactly
the same in this are (Accounts).

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Sharon

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
Hello Gary
Thank you for your reply. Sorry, but I am still not sure what I need to do.
I downloaded Windows Live Mail as you suggested but this came up with the
screen that I use to view my MSN emails (which I use for personal emails). I
currently use Windows Mail for my business emails and want to be able to view
my business emails from any PC and not just on PCs loaded with Windows Vista.
How can I use Windows Live Mail to view my Windows Mail emails? I'm not
allowed to use an email address ending in "@msn.com" for my business emails.
Thank you
Sharon

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> You can't install Windows Mail on a Windows XP computer, but you can
> install Windows Live Mail or use Outlook Express. All three of those
> programs perform fairly similar basic email functions.
>
> So, it would simply be a matter of adding your work email account to
> whatever email program the other computers have.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21DC9C4-4E0F-4FC5-BE33-493BC479C19E@microsoft.com...
> >I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
> > home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded with
> > Windows Mail).
> > How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log on
> > anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
> > computer that does not use Vista.
> > Thank you
> > Sharon

Sharon

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
Fantastic!! I've just created my business accounts on Outlook Express and my
business emails were automatically loaded onto Outlook Express. I just have
a couple of questions now:
1) Can I access Outlook Express on most computers (it's not like Windows
Mail which is only on PCs with Vista?)
2) Outlook Express now holds 66 of my business emails going back to
15/7/2008 but I have 207 emails in my inbox on Windows Mail going back to Jan
2008. Where are the rest of my emails?
3) Outlook Express has only downloaded the latest 66 emails from my inbox
but has not loaded any sent emails or emails filed in folders. Can I only
view these items through Windows Mail?
Thank you very much for your help
Sharon

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
> > home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded
> > with
> > Windows Mail).
> > How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log
> > on
> > anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
> > computer that does not use Vista.
> > Thank you
> > Sharon

> Set it up in Outlook Express just like you did in Vista. They are exactly
> the same in this are (Accounts).
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
Actually, I did not specifically recommend that you download
Windows Live Mail, although I offered it as a possibility. My suggestion
was basically for you to simply add your work email account to
whatever email program the other computers already have.

It sounds like you may have downloaded Windows Live Hotmail instead
of Windows Live Mail. You can uninstall that Hotmail program if you
don't need it.

Why can't you simply add your business email account to any existing
email program on all of your computers?
Most email accounts are not tied to a specific email program.
Whatever business email your Windows Mail program downloads
can also be downloaded with any other email program.

--

"Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02F9E557-BBBA-4D5B-951A-515D387FE421@microsoft.com...
> Hello Gary
> Thank you for your reply. Sorry, but I am still not sure what I need to do.
> I downloaded Windows Live Mail as you suggested but this came up with the
> screen that I use to view my MSN emails (which I use for personal emails). I
> currently use Windows Mail for my business emails and want to be able to view
> my business emails from any PC and not just on PCs loaded with Windows Vista.
> How can I use Windows Live Mail to view my Windows Mail emails? I'm not
> allowed to use an email address ending in "@msn.com" for my business emails.
> Thank you
> Sharon
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> You can't install Windows Mail on a Windows XP computer, but you can
>> install Windows Live Mail or use Outlook Express. All three of those
>> programs perform fairly similar basic email functions.
>>
>> So, it would simply be a matter of adding your work email account to
>> whatever email program the other computers have.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E21DC9C4-4E0F-4FC5-BE33-493BC479C19E@microsoft.com...
>> >I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
>> > home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded with
>> > Windows Mail).
>> > How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log on
>> > anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
>> > computer that does not use Vista.
>> > Thank you
>> > Sharon

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
Comments inline.

"Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:930EE837-DC8E-466E-80B4-67E20A5B2155@microsoft.com...
> Fantastic!! I've just created my business accounts on Outlook Express and my
> business emails were automatically loaded onto Outlook Express. I just have
> a couple of questions now:
> 1) Can I access Outlook Express on most computers (it's not like Windows
> Mail which is only on PCs with Vista?)

Yes, Outlook Express is most likely installed on all Windows computers
except for Vista.

> 2) Outlook Express now holds 66 of my business emails going back to
> 15/7/2008 but I have 207 emails in my inbox on Windows Mail going back to Jan
> 2008. Where are the rest of my emails?

By default, POP email programs like Windows Mail will delete messages
from the server after downloading them.

> 3) Outlook Express has only downloaded the latest 66 emails from my inbox
> but has not loaded any sent emails or emails filed in folders. Can I only
> view these items through Windows Mail?

That would require a full synchronization capability. IMAP and HTTP email
accounts can do it, but POP email accounts cannot. With POP accounts,
sent emails and folder emails can only be viewed on the one computer
that was directly involved in creating or filing that email.

Hope that helps.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

> Thank you very much for your help
> Sharon
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use Windows Mail for my business emails and can access the emails on my
>> > home PC and also my laptop (both have Windows Vista and came pre-loaded
>> > with
>> > Windows Mail).
>> > How can I access my work emails on other computers? With MSN, I can log
>> > on
>> > anywhere in the world, but I have had problems getting Windows Mail on any
>> > computer that does not use Vista.
>> > Thank you
>> > Sharon

>> Set it up in Outlook Express just like you did in Vista. They are exactly
>> the same in this are (Accounts).
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
>> Do not reply with email

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
See Gary's commints.
WinMail = OE for Vista
You can drag WinMail's EML files into a folder in OE and it will accept them
(and show the subject).