set associations for an attachment

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

FireBrick

set associations for an attachment
I keep getting a message
Set associations for this file

It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.

It says to Set Association in the Control Panel

I can't find a Set Association module.

please and thankyou.

--
-----------------------------
Bill H. in Chicagoland
t-4-2

Re: set associations for an attachment
Save your attachment to folder of your choice. Open it on Microsoft Power
Point or Office Excel, or notepad.
"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting a message
> Set associations for this file
>
> It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
>
> It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
>
> I can't find a Set Association module.
>
> please and thankyou.
>

> --
> -----------------------------
> Bill H. in Chicagoland
> webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
> Current Weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: set associations for an attachment
"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting a message
> Set associations for this file
>
> It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
>
> It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
>
> I can't find a Set Association module.

Save the file on the desktop, right click it and choose the proper program.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Gary VanderMolen

Re: set associations for an attachment
Associations can be set in the Default Programs applet,
which you can access either from the Start menu or via the
Control Panel. It is very strange, though, that .jpg doesn't
already have its association set. Can you save the attachment
and then open it outside of Windows Mail?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message news:OrZgm7a9IHA.5756@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I keep getting a message
> Set associations for this file
>
> It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
>
> It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
>
> I can't find a Set Association module.
>
> please and thankyou.
>

> --
> -----------------------------
> Bill H. in Chicagoland
> webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
> Current Weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

mac

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Save your attachment to folder of your choice. Open it on Microsoft Power
> Point or Office Excel, or notepad.

"t-4-2"

We sure need all the help that we can get in this newsgroup.

But: ---------------------

Please, t-4-2, unless you are CERTAIN, that your advice is correct, then
please refrain from Guessing.

..jpg files are not opened by default, in any of the applications that you
are advising, above.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP : Mail.

FireBrick

Re: set associations for an attachment
thanks for the help
when I installed Paint Shop Pro, I inadvertently did not select 'ALL' for
the file types.
I found it and fixed it.

thanks guys

"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Associations can be set in the Default Programs applet,
which you can access either from the Start menu or via the
Control Panel. It is very strange, though, that .jpg doesn't
already have its association set. Can you save the attachment
and then open it outside of Windows Mail?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting a message
> Set associations for this file
>
> It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
>
> It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
>
> I can't find a Set Association module.
>
> please and thankyou.
>

> --
> -----------------------------
> Bill H. in Chicagoland
> webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
> Current Weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Brink

Re: set associations for an attachment

Hello Bill,

Double check in Default Programs in the Control Panel to make sure that
"Windows Photo Gallery" has all of it's default associations (ex: .jpg,
etc...) set to it. This tutorial will show you how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83...ociations.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Gary VanderMolen

Re: set associations for an attachment
You're very welcome.

--

"FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message news:uXMtAKd9IHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> thanks for the help
> when I installed Paint Shop Pro, I inadvertently did not select 'ALL' for
> the file types.
> I found it and fixed it.
>
> thanks guys
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Associations can be set in the Default Programs applet,
> which you can access either from the Start menu or via the
> Control Panel. It is very strange, though, that .jpg doesn't
> already have its association set. Can you save the attachment
> and then open it outside of Windows Mail?
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message
>>I keep getting a message
>> Set associations for this file
>>
>> It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
>>
>> It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
>>
>> I can't find a Set Association module.
>>
>> please and thankyou.
>>

>> --
>> -----------------------------
>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>> webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
>> Current Weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

kessa

Re: set associations for an attachment
Hi Gary
I have the problem with .jpg too. Have set up file assoc. etc but will not
open an attatchment in windows mail unless I save it first to say My Docs.
Surely there is a way around this. I have to open .jpg files constantly all
day, I don't want to have to save it every time I want to read/print it out.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Associations can be set in the Default Programs applet,
> which you can access either from the Start menu or via the
> Control Panel. It is very strange, though, that .jpg doesn't
> already have its association set. Can you save the attachment
> and then open it outside of Windows Mail?
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com> wrote in message news:OrZgm7a9IHA.5756@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> >I keep getting a message
> > Set associations for this file
> >
> > It was a simple .jpg sent as an attachment in an email from a friend.
> >
> > It says to Set Association in the Control Panel
> >
> > I can't find a Set Association module.
> >
> > please and thankyou.
> >

> > --
> > -----------------------------
> > Bill H. in Chicagoland
> > webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080/
> > Current Weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Brink

Re: set associations for an attachment

Hi Kessa,

If you have already double checked in 'Default Programs - Program
Default Associations'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/83...ociations.html)
in the Control Panel to make sure that "Windows Photo Gallery" has all
of it's default associations (ex: .jpg, etc...) set to it, then you
might check these settings in Windows Mail.

1. Click on Tools and Options.
2. Click on the Security tab.
3. Uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved....."
4. Uncheck "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail.".
5. Click OK.

Hope this helps,
Shawn