Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Snert51

Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
Running Windows Vista,Windows Mail & Windows Live One Care. When I go to set
up newsgroup account .I follow directions and get all the way up to where is
says that I need to download list of avaible newsgroups. I then get the
message that I cannot connect to server. Get the following details.
Account:news.windstream.news
Server:news.windstream.news
Protocol:NNTP
Secure(ssl):0
Code:800ccc0e

I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
That doesn't look like a complete error message. For one thing,
the port number is missing. Error messages should always be
copied and pasted verbatim.

The server name news.windstream.news is not valid.
It should be news.windstream.net.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:467BCA04-7DB9-4DC9-9F9E-D63038D239E6@microsoft.com...
> Running Windows Vista,Windows Mail & Windows Live One Care. When I go to set
> up newsgroup account .I follow directions and get all the way up to where is
> says that I need to download list of avaible newsgroups. I then get the
> message that I cannot connect to server. Get the following details.
> Account:news.windstream.news
> Server:news.windstream.news
> Protocol:NNTP
> Secure(ssl):0
> Code:800ccc0e
>
> I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.

snert51

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
It is news.windstream.net, sorry I mistyped it.And the message is
Account: news.windstream.net
Server: news.windstream.net
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL):0
Code: 800ccc0e

That is exactly how it comes up. I did open port 119 in both udp & tcp in
firewall and it did not help.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> That doesn't look like a complete error message. For one thing,
> the port number is missing. Error messages should always be
> copied and pasted verbatim.
>
> The server name news.windstream.news is not valid.
> It should be news.windstream.net.
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:467BCA04-7DB9-4DC9-9F9E-D63038D239E6@microsoft.com...
> > Running Windows Vista,Windows Mail & Windows Live One Care. When I go to set
> > up newsgroup account .I follow directions and get all the way up to where is
> > says that I need to download list of avaible newsgroups. I then get the
> > message that I cannot connect to server. Get the following details.
> > Account:news.windstream.news
> > Server:news.windstream.news
> > Protocol:NNTP
> > Secure(ssl):0
> > Code:800ccc0e
> >
> > I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
The most common reason for this type of problem is a firewall
not allowing the connection. However, you indicated that you
already covered that possibility.
Are you able to get other news servers to work? Windows Mail
comes preconfigured for "Microsoft Communities" which is actually
an alias for msnews.microsoft.com. Give that one a try.
Another possibility is getting a free account from
http://news.motzarella.org so you can test their news server.

--

"snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F277D52C-83E4-40F8-A840-02F04B8FEF35@microsoft.com...
> It is news.windstream.net, sorry I mistyped it.And the message is
> Account: news.windstream.net
> Server: news.windstream.net
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL):0
> Code: 800ccc0e
>
> That is exactly how it comes up. I did open port 119 in both udp & tcp in
> firewall and it did not help.
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> That doesn't look like a complete error message. For one thing,
>> the port number is missing. Error messages should always be
>> copied and pasted verbatim.
>>
>> The server name news.windstream.news is not valid.
>> It should be news.windstream.net.
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:467BCA04-7DB9-4DC9-9F9E-D63038D239E6@microsoft.com...
>> > Running Windows Vista,Windows Mail & Windows Live One Care. When I go to set
>> > up newsgroup account .I follow directions and get all the way up to where is
>> > says that I need to download list of avaible newsgroups. I then get the
>> > message that I cannot connect to server. Get the following details.
>> > Account:news.windstream.news
>> > Server:news.windstream.news
>> > Protocol:NNTP
>> > Secure(ssl):0
>> > Code:800ccc0e
>> >
>> > I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.

snert51

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
Tried news.microsoft.com and news.motzarella.org and got the same message on
both accounts"Cannot connect to srever"

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> The most common reason for this type of problem is a firewall
> not allowing the connection. However, you indicated that you
> already covered that possibility.
> Are you able to get other news servers to work? Windows Mail
> comes preconfigured for "Microsoft Communities" which is actually
> an alias for msnews.microsoft.com. Give that one a try.
> Another possibility is getting a free account from
> http://news.motzarella.org so you can test their news server.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F277D52C-83E4-40F8-A840-02F04B8FEF35@microsoft.com...
> > It is news.windstream.net, sorry I mistyped it.And the message is
> > Account: news.windstream.net
> > Server: news.windstream.net
> > Protocol: NNTP
> > Port: 119
> > Secure(SSL):0
> > Code: 800ccc0e
> >
> > That is exactly how it comes up. I did open port 119 in both udp & tcp in
> > firewall and it did not help.
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> That doesn't look like a complete error message. For one thing,
> >> the port number is missing. Error messages should always be
> >> copied and pasted verbatim.
> >>
> >> The server name news.windstream.news is not valid.
> >> It should be news.windstream.net.
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
Are you sure that error message comes from Windows Mail?
It looks more like the error messages I've seen from another
program with a similar name, Windows Live Mail.

> Tried news.microsoft.com and news.motzarella.org and got the same message
> on
> both accounts"Cannot connect to srever"
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The most common reason for this type of problem is a firewall
>> not allowing the connection. However, you indicated that you
>> already covered that possibility.
>> Are you able to get other news servers to work? Windows Mail
>> comes preconfigured for "Microsoft Communities" which is actually
>> an alias for msnews.microsoft.com. Give that one a try.
>> Another possibility is getting a free account from
>> http://news.motzarella.org so you can test their news server.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It is news.windstream.net, sorry I mistyped it.And the message is
>> > Account: news.windstream.net
>> > Server: news.windstream.net
>> > Protocol: NNTP
>> > Port: 119
>> > Secure(SSL):0
>> > Code: 800ccc0e
>> >
>> > That is exactly how it comes up. I did open port 119 in both udp & tcp
>> > in
>> > firewall and it did not help.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
In that case, it is almost certainly a firewall problem. In case you still think
it may be caused by Windows Mail, install an additional email/news
program for testing purposes, such as Thunderbird.

--

"snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1614CB46-DDB6-49F5-A5D5-66BF3D4138B4@microsoft.com...
> Tried news.microsoft.com and news.motzarella.org and got the same message on
> both accounts"Cannot connect to srever"
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The most common reason for this type of problem is a firewall
>> not allowing the connection. However, you indicated that you
>> already covered that possibility.
>> Are you able to get other news servers to work? Windows Mail
>> comes preconfigured for "Microsoft Communities" which is actually
>> an alias for msnews.microsoft.com. Give that one a try.
>> Another possibility is getting a free account from
>> http://news.motzarella.org so you can test their news server.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F277D52C-83E4-40F8-A840-02F04B8FEF35@microsoft.com...
>> > It is news.windstream.net, sorry I mistyped it.And the message is
>> > Account: news.windstream.net
>> > Server: news.windstream.net
>> > Protocol: NNTP
>> > Port: 119
>> > Secure(SSL):0
>> > Code: 800ccc0e
>> >
>> > That is exactly how it comes up. I did open port 119 in both udp & tcp in
>> > firewall and it did not help.

Gusto1

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> In that case, it is almost certainly a firewall problem. In case you still think
> it may be caused by Windows Mail, install an additional email/news
> program for testing purposes, such as Thunderbird.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "snert51" <snert51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1614CB46-DDB6-49F5-A5D5-66BF3D4138B4@microsoft.com...
> > Tried news.microsoft.com and news.motzarella.org and got the same message on
> > both accounts"Cannot connect to srever"
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> The most common reason for this type of problem is a firewall
> >> not allowing the connection. However, you indicated that you
> >> already covered that possibility.
> >> Are you able to get other news servers to work? Windows Mail
> >> comes preconfigured for "Microsoft Communities" which is actually
> >> an alias for msnews.microsoft.com. Give that one a try.
> >> Another possibility is getting a free account from
> >> http://news.motzarella.org so you can test their news server.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Gusto1

RE: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
Hello- I was having the identical error message after I installed a trial
version of a decoder for yEnc encrypted files. I uninstalled the
application, called Ydcode, and my connection issues were completely
resolved. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1 without any problems at this point.
I've noticed that some folks point to Vista as the source of their troubles,
but in 99% of cases, poorly written applications are the cause of system
stability issues, not the operating system. Vista has proven to be rock
solid for me.

"Snert51" wrote:

> Running Windows Vista,Windows Mail & Windows Live One Care. When I go to set
> up newsgroup account .I follow directions and get all the way up to where is
> says that I need to download list of avaible newsgroups. I then get the
> message that I cannot connect to server. Get the following details.
> Account:news.windstream.news
> Server:news.windstream.news
> Protocol:NNTP
> Secure(ssl):0
> Code:800ccc0e
>
> I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Trying to setup newsgroups cannot connect to server.
Yes, I agree. Poorly written third party apps are the cause of Vista problems.