Recovered Messages

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Young Mandy

Recovered Messages
Help/Advice please

Used the easy transfer (using usb external drive) to save and transfer my
old (VISTA) email messages on Windows Mail to my reformatted VISTA.
Somehow some files must have got corrupted on transfer, no real problem as I
seem to have all there I want. However I now get a folder appearing
everytime I start up Windows Mail Saying Recovered Messages with the date
and the time. In these recovered messages are EXACTLY the same as I already
have . Everytime I delete the folders they reappeare everytime I start up
Windows Mail. Is there anything I can do without having to reformat
everything again (eg Delete windows mail and then reinstall it or better
still just permanently delete these Recovered Messages

TIA

Mandy XXXXX

Steve Cochran

Re: Recovered Messages
Where is it recovering them from? If its in the Windows Mail directory,
then you can remove the messages that are being recovered each time, but you
have to find them to do that.

steve

"Young Mandy" <mandyallannospamplease@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help/Advice please
>
> Used the easy transfer (using usb external drive) to save and transfer my
> old (VISTA) email messages on Windows Mail to my reformatted VISTA.
> Somehow some files must have got corrupted on transfer, no real problem as
> I seem to have all there I want. However I now get a folder appearing
> everytime I start up Windows Mail Saying Recovered Messages with the date
> and the time. In these recovered messages are EXACTLY the same as I
> already have . Everytime I delete the folders they reappeare everytime I
> start up Windows Mail. Is there anything I can do without having to
> reformat everything again (eg Delete windows mail and then reinstall it or
> better still just permanently delete these Recovered Messages
>
> TIA
>
> Mandy XXXXX

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBN?=

Re: Recovered Messages
I have exactly this problem, though I transferred my mail from XP. There are
no new recovered messages to find: every time I open Mail, a whole tree of
empty folders appears in the Recovered Mail folder. I delete them all, one by
one, and they always come back. Any advice would be very gratefully received.
Michael

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> Where is it recovering them from? If its in the Windows Mail directory,
> then you can remove the messages that are being recovered each time, but you
> have to find them to do that.
>
> steve
>
> "Young Mandy" <mandyallannospamplease@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Help/Advice please
> >
> > Used the easy transfer (using usb external drive) to save and transfer my
> > old (VISTA) email messages on Windows Mail to my reformatted VISTA.
> > Somehow some files must have got corrupted on transfer, no real problem as
> > I seem to have all there I want. However I now get a folder appearing
> > everytime I start up Windows Mail Saying Recovered Messages with the date
> > and the time. In these recovered messages are EXACTLY the same as I
> > already have . Everytime I delete the folders they reappeare everytime I
> > start up Windows Mail. Is there anything I can do without having to
> > reformat everything again (eg Delete windows mail and then reinstall it or
> > better still just permanently delete these Recovered Messages
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Mandy XXXXX

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

Re: Recovered Messages
I have the exact same problem how do I stop the recovered messages folder
from coming up everytime I start Windows Mail

"Michael M" wrote:

> I have exactly this problem, though I transferred my mail from XP. There are
> no new recovered messages to find: every time I open Mail, a whole tree of
> empty folders appears in the Recovered Mail folder. I delete them all, one by
> one, and they always come back. Any advice would be very gratefully received.
> Michael
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
> > Where is it recovering them from? If its in the Windows Mail directory,
> > then you can remove the messages that are being recovered each time, but you
> > have to find them to do that.
> >
> > steve
> >
> > "Young Mandy" <mandyallannospamplease@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Help/Advice please
> > >
> > > Used the easy transfer (using usb external drive) to save and transfer my
> > > old (VISTA) email messages on Windows Mail to my reformatted VISTA.
> > > Somehow some files must have got corrupted on transfer, no real problem as
> > > I seem to have all there I want. However I now get a folder appearing
> > > everytime I start up Windows Mail Saying Recovered Messages with the date
> > > and the time. In these recovered messages are EXACTLY the same as I
> > > already have . Everytime I delete the folders they reappeare everytime I
> > > start up Windows Mail. Is there anything I can do without having to
> > > reformat everything again (eg Delete windows mail and then reinstall it or
> > > better still just permanently delete these Recovered Messages
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Mandy XXXXX

Steve Cochran

Re: Recovered Messages
Don't delete the recovered messages folders and see if that fixes it.

You can also try compacting and repairing the database. See
www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/

steve

"Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the exact same problem how do I stop the recovered messages folder
> from coming up everytime I start Windows Mail
>
> "Michael M" wrote:
>
>> I have exactly this problem, though I transferred my mail from XP. There
>> are
>> no new recovered messages to find: every time I open Mail, a whole tree
>> of
>> empty folders appears in the Recovered Mail folder. I delete them all,
>> one by
>> one, and they always come back. Any advice would be very gratefully
>> received.
>> Michael
>>
>> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>>
>> > Where is it recovering them from? If its in the Windows Mail
>> > directory,
>> > then you can remove the messages that are being recovered each time,
>> > but you
>> > have to find them to do that.
>> >
>> > steve

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

Re: Recovered Messages
I still get the folders everytime I start.The program that you are
recomending if I use it will I loose all my folders and emails that I have
saved?

Hugh

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> Don't delete the recovered messages folders and see if that fixes it.
>
> You can also try compacting and repairing the database. See
> www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
>
> steve
>
> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the exact same problem how do I stop the recovered messages folder
> > from coming up everytime I start Windows Mail
> >
> > "Michael M" wrote:
> >
> >> I have exactly this problem, though I transferred my mail from XP. There
> >> are
> >> no new recovered messages to find: every time I open Mail, a whole tree
> >> of
> >> empty folders appears in the Recovered Mail folder. I delete them all,
> >> one by
> >> one, and they always come back. Any advice would be very gratefully
> >> received.
> >> Michael

Steve Cochran

Re: Recovered Messages
No you won't lose the messages. See here on how to back things up first:
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm

>I still get the folders everytime I start.The program that you are
> recomending if I use it will I loose all my folders and emails that I have
> saved?
>
> Hugh
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
>> Don't delete the recovered messages folders and see if that fixes it.
>>
>> You can also try compacting and repairing the database. See
>> www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the exact same problem how do I stop the recovered messages
>> >folder
>> > from coming up everytime I start Windows Mail

Hugh

Re: Recovered Messages
Thanks Steve but it didn't work I am still getting the recovered messages
floder and sub folders. I went back thru the original steps of finding the
windows mail. ms message store folder but the search comes back empty?

ttfn
hugh

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> No you won't lose the messages. See here on how to back things up first:
> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm
>
> steve
>
> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I still get the folders everytime I start.The program that you are
> > recomending if I use it will I loose all my folders and emails that I have
> > saved?
> >
> > Hugh
> >
> > "Steve Cochran" wrote:
> >
> >> Don't delete the recovered messages folders and see if that fixes it.
> >>
> >> You can also try compacting and repairing the database. See
> >> www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
> >>
> >> steve

Steve Cochran

Re: Recovered Messages
They are hidden files and folders, which you have to enable. The message
store source is located via Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store
Folder. You can move everything out of that directory to a subdirectory
under Documents. Then WinMail will start fresh and you can then import
from the directory to which you moved the files.

> Thanks Steve but it didn't work I am still getting the recovered messages
> floder and sub folders. I went back thru the original steps of finding the
> windows mail. ms message store folder but the search comes back empty?
>
> ttfn
> hugh
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
>> No you won't lose the messages. See here on how to back things up first:
>> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I still get the folders everytime I start.The program that you are
>> > recomending if I use it will I loose all my folders and emails that I
>> > have
>> > saved?
>> >
>> > Hugh

Gary W

Re: Recovered Messages

I've just registered because I read these posts that discuss the exact
same problem that I'm experiencing. To Steve Cochran and any others, do
I move absolutely ALL FOLDERS and files in the windows mail directory?
Then exactly how do I "import", by dragging an dropping? And lastly, has
anyone tried this and how did it work? I bought a new HP and their
technical help could only point me to this forum as they had no clue how
to solve

--
Gary W