Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Luke Calvert

Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
In Control Panel - Mail - Mail Setup - email accounts, I type in the required
details to set up an existing mail and it doesn't recognise it when it tries
to read the server (red cross instead of tick). I have tried a Yahoo account,
Windows Live account and another one, and tried using "unencrypted" and since
my knowledge of Vista is fairly basic, I am not sure about doing it manually.
I can't receive and send emails in Outlook 2007 because of this. What would
be the problem?
--
Regards

Luke Calvert

Gordon

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
"Luke Calvert" <LukeCalvert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> In Control Panel - Mail - Mail Setup - email accounts, I type in the
> required
> details to set up an existing mail and it doesn't recognise it when it
> tries
> to read the server (red cross instead of tick). I have tried a Yahoo
> account,

Well the Yahoo account won't work unless you either pay for your account, or
have a Yahoo.co.uk or Yahoo.fr account...

> Windows Live account and another one, and tried using "unencrypted" and
> since
> my knowledge of Vista is fairly basic, I am not sure about doing it
> manually.
> I can't receive and send emails in Outlook 2007 because of this. What
> would
> be the problem?

Post the error message(s) in full, as the answer is usually in there
somewhere...

shivs

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook

not sure, but i had the same problem with Outlook 2007 ... seems my
Trend Micro Internet Security blocked Outlook

check to see if any security software is blocking it ... mine works
well now

Comcast told me that I had to remove Vista and re-install WinXP as
Outlook would not work with Vista -- WRONG!

--
shivs

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook

"Luke Calvert" <LukeCalvert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Control Panel - Mail - Mail Setup - email accounts, I type in the
> required
> details to set up an existing mail and it doesn't recognise it when it
> tries
> to read the server (red cross instead of tick). I have tried a Yahoo
> account,
> Windows Live account and another one, and tried using "unencrypted" and
> since
> my knowledge of Vista is fairly basic, I am not sure about doing it
> manually.
> I can't receive and send emails in Outlook 2007 because of this. What
> would
> be the problem?
> --
> Regards
>
> Luke Calvert

You'll get more help for Outlook if you ask in a newsgroup meant for
Outlook,
such as:

microsoft.public.outlook.general

Mention which version of Outlook you're using, and that you're using it
under Vista, in case this makes a difference what answer you should get.

DL

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
Some of the 'free' email services are not available in Outlook, eg Hotmail
requires the premium hotmail service.
When you test the account settings in OL you will receive err.msgs - post
these when you repost to an outlook group

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Some of the 'free' email services are not available in Outlook, eg Hotmail
> requires the premium hotmail service.

Not quite true - if you convert your free Hotmail account to a Live Hotmail
account and use the Outlook Connector you can use Outlook for free
Hotmail...

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
Free Hotmail will work in Outlook (2003 or 2007) if you get the
Outlook Connector:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...225181033.aspx
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Some of the 'free' email services are not available in Outlook, eg Hotmail
> requires the premium hotmail service.
> When you test the account settings in OL you will receive err.msgs - post
> these when you repost to an outlook group
>
> "Luke Calvert" <LukeCalvert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In Control Panel - Mail - Mail Setup - email accounts, I type in the
>> required
>> details to set up an existing mail and it doesn't recognise it when it
>> tries
>> to read the server (red cross instead of tick). I have tried a Yahoo
>> account,
>> Windows Live account and another one, and tried using "unencrypted" and
>> since
>> my knowledge of Vista is fairly basic, I am not sure about doing it
>> manually.
>> I can't receive and send emails in Outlook 2007 because of this. What
>> would
>> be the problem?
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Luke Calvert

DL

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
yes, I forgot that one

"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Free Hotmail will work in Outlook (2003 or 2007) if you get the
> Outlook Connector:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...225181033.aspx
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Some of the 'free' email services are not available in Outlook, eg
>> Hotmail requires the premium hotmail service.
>> When you test the account settings in OL you will receive err.msgs - post
>> these when you repost to an outlook group
>>
>> "Luke Calvert" <LukeCalvert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> In Control Panel - Mail - Mail Setup - email accounts, I type in the
>>> required
>>> details to set up an existing mail and it doesn't recognise it when it
>>> tries
>>> to read the server (red cross instead of tick). I have tried a Yahoo
>>> account,
>>> Windows Live account and another one, and tried using "unencrypted" and
>>> since
>>> my knowledge of Vista is fairly basic, I am not sure about doing it
>>> manually.
>>> I can't receive and send emails in Outlook 2007 because of this. What
>>> would
>>> be the problem?
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Luke Calvert

Gordon

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Free Hotmail will work in Outlook (2003 or 2007) if you get the
> Outlook Connector:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...225181033.aspx

But only if you convert your Hotmail account to a Live Hotmail account...

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Having trouble setting up email account in Vista/Outlook
I don't keep up very much with the Hotmail arena, but at some
point Microsoft was going to make that conversion unilaterally.
I assumed that had already happened.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP