windows mail error 0x80004005 - mail no longer working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Emma

windows mail error 0x80004005 - mail no longer working
Hi, Ive been using vista and windows mail for a while but now windows mail
has stopped working, when I open it I get the following error message.

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x80004005

I have searched online and found a few sites that reccomend deleting inbox
files or renaming them etc but this is all for outlook express, i know they
are obviously very similar but wanted some clarification about it before i
went in and deleted things! Anyone shed any light???

Thanks - Emma

Re: windows mail error 0x80004005 - mail no longer working

"Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news89B3E91-AF26-44ED-951F-038898DDAC8B@microsoft.com...
> Hi, Ive been using vista and windows mail for a while but now windows mail
> has stopped working, when I open it I get the following error message.
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
> 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> Number:
> 0x80004005
>
> I have searched online and found a few sites that reccomend deleting inbox
> files or renaming them etc but this is all for outlook express, i know
> they
> are obviously very similar but wanted some clarification about it before i
> went in and deleted things! Anyone shed any light???
>
> Thanks - Emma

Unknown errors in Windows Mail are often due to interference from an
antivirus or antispam program. What if any antivirus and antispam
programs do you have?

Also, you might want to check your settings:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/compatible/

In Windows Mail, you can create another folder under Local Folders
and try moving any messages you think you might need to delete
there. Any that will move this way don't need to be deleted, so
you can then move them back if you want to. Let us know if you
find any that refuse to either move or delete, though.

"robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:

> "Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news89B3E91-AF26-44ED-951F-038898DDAC8B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, Ive been using vista and windows mail for a while but now windows mail
> > has stopped working, when I open it I get the following error message.
> >
> > An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
> > 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> > Number:
> > 0x80004005
> >
> > I have searched online and found a few sites that reccomend deleting inbox
> > files or renaming them etc but this is all for outlook express, i know
> > they
> > are obviously very similar but wanted some clarification about it before i
> > went in and deleted things! Anyone shed any light???
> >
> > Thanks - Emma

> Unknown errors in Windows Mail are often due to interference from an
> antivirus or antispam program. What if any antivirus and antispam
> programs do you have?
>
> Also, you might want to check your settings:
>
> http://www.virginmedia.com/help/compatible/
>
> In Windows Mail, you can create another folder under Local Folders
> and try moving any messages you think you might need to delete
> there. Any that will move this way don't need to be deleted, so
> you can then move them back if you want to. Let us know if you
> find any that refuse to either move or delete, though.
>

> Hey, thanks for the reply, ive had a closer look and all the settings are correct for virgin media, it seems that windows mail is just refusing to download new mail, i can still access my sent items, deleted items etc but not my inbox, it is still allowing me to send emails also. Inbox pane reads foldre could not be displayed possible causes are low disc space and low memory. neither are a problem.

I have Norton internet protection centre, came with the laptop!

> "robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:
>

>> "Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news89B3E91-AF26-44ED-951F-038898DDAC8B@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi, Ive been using vista and windows mail for a while but now windows
>> > mail
>> > has stopped working, when I open it I get the following error message.
>> >
>> > An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
>> > 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
>> > Number:
>> > 0x80004005
>> >
>> > I have searched online and found a few sites that reccomend deleting
>> > inbox
>> > files or renaming them etc but this is all for outlook express, i know
>> > they
>> > are obviously very similar but wanted some clarification about it
>> > before i
>> > went in and deleted things! Anyone shed any light???
>> >
>> > Thanks - Emma

>> Unknown errors in Windows Mail are often due to interference from an
>> antivirus or antispam program. What if any antivirus and antispam
>> programs do you have?
>>
>> Also, you might want to check your settings:
>>
>> http://www.virginmedia.com/help/compatible/
>>
>> In Windows Mail, you can create another folder under Local Folders
>> and try moving any messages you think you might need to delete
>> there. Any that will move this way don't need to be deleted, so
>> you can then move them back if you want to. Let us know if you
>> find any that refuse to either move or delete, though.
>>

>> Hey, thanks for the reply, ive had a closer look and all the settings are
>> correct for virgin media, it seems that windows mail is just refusing to
>> download new mail, i can still access my sent items, deleted items etc
>> but not my inbox, it is still allowing me to send emails also. Inbox
>> pane reads foldre could not be displayed possible causes are low disc
>> space and low memory. neither are a problem.

> I have Norton internet protection centre, came with the laptop!
>
> Emma

That can mean that you need to log on to ntlworld.com using webmail, then
delete the oldest message there that you have been unable to download.

Problems in Windows Mail caused by antivirus programs are often reported
incorrectly, such as saying they are due to low disk space or low memory.
Most versions of the Norton antivirus occasionally cause problems in
Windows Mail, so you should uninstall it; just disabling it seldom helps.
You
then often need to run this cleanup program to take care of what the
uninstall
left behind:

<http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

You may even need to remove your email account under Windows Mail,
then restart Windows Mail and add it again.

If this cures your problem, you may want a replacement antivirus program
that doesn't cause such problems. Most versions of the McAfee antivirus
program and a recent version of the Trend antivirus program are bad
choices; they cause problems in Windows Mail too. I recommend either
avast! or AVG, either one with a custom install that tells it to leave out
the part that scans email.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Emma

RE: windows mail error 0x80004005 - mail no longer working
Hello Again,

Ive downloaded and started to use windows live mail and that is working
fine, no error messages etc. Thought id post and let people know there is a
better way!!!

thanks for the input!

Emma

"Emma" wrote:

> Hi, Ive been using vista and windows mail for a while but now windows mail
> has stopped working, when I open it I get the following error message.
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server:
> 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
> 0x80004005
>
> I have searched online and found a few sites that reccomend deleting inbox
> files or renaming them etc but this is all for outlook express, i know they
> are obviously very similar but wanted some clarification about it before i
> went in and deleted things! Anyone shed any light???
>
> Thanks - Emma

Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail error 0x80004005 - mail no longer working
Thanks for your feedback. I recommend that people switch to WLM
whenever WM develops a serious problem. It just isn't worth
spending a lot of time on fixing up a deprecated email client.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP