Winows mail smtp or port error?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Stephen Flanagan

Winows mail smtp or port error?
Have just got windows vista (64 bit) and have set up my e-mails to use
Windows Mail. Can receive on 3 e-mail addresses (1 on BT & 2 on virgin.net)
however can only send on the BT one as they are my broadband supplier. I
have changed the smtp settings to use mail.btinternet.com from
smtp.virgin.net but still can't send on virgin. Have ticked the box for my
server requires authentication. However when I try to send I get a small
dialogue box asking me to input my user name and password which I do but it
keeps re-appearing until I cancel sending the mail. I did try auto set up
for smtp via BT Yahoo but it states it's for Outlook express and didn't work
anyway. I'm sure its a setting I need to change or a port (using 25 at the
moment).

I can send on virgin via the web site but would like to send via Windows
Mail. Any ideas out there?

I had this trouble on my old PC as my virgin addresses are from an old dial
up when I was with virgin, in the end although I have BT
Broadband @ £27.99/m was told I had to pay an extra £1.50 a month for BY
Yahoo Premium mail which is what I am doing. I'm sure BT are robbing me bit
having spent hours trying to configure it's easier to pay £1.50 a month and
it worked on my old PC!

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Re: Winows mail smtp or port error?

"Stephen Flanagan" <stephen.flanagan2@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Have just got windows vista (64 bit) and have set up my e-mails to use
> Windows Mail. Can receive on 3 e-mail addresses (1 on BT & 2 on
> virgin.net) however can only send on the BT one as they are my broadband
> supplier. I have changed the smtp settings to use mail.btinternet.com
> from smtp.virgin.net but still can't send on virgin. Have ticked the box
> for my server requires authentication. However when I try to send I get a
> small dialogue box asking me to input my user name and password which I do
> but it keeps re-appearing until I cancel sending the mail. I did try
> auto set up for smtp via BT Yahoo but it states it's for Outlook express
> and didn't work anyway. I'm sure its a setting I need to change or a port
> (using 25 at the moment).
>
> I can send on virgin via the web site but would like to send via Windows
> Mail. Any ideas out there?
>
> I had this trouble on my old PC as my virgin addresses are from an old
> dial up when I was with virgin, in the end although I have BT
> Broadband @ £27.99/m was told I had to pay an extra £1.50 a month for BY
> Yahoo Premium mail which is what I am doing. I'm sure BT are robbing me
> bit having spent hours trying to configure it's easier to pay £1.50 a
> month and it worked on my old PC!
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Steve

Connections using port 25 are often blocked if they cross over from one
internet provider's equipment to another's before they reach the server.

See if this helps:

<http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/105644-can-t-send-email-virgin-net-address.html>

Stephen Flanagan

Re: Winows mail smtp or port error?
Thanks Robert, links helped. Solution if others are interested was not
changing port but reverting to the virgin smtp setting for outgoing server
i.e. smtp.virgin.net and selecting log on option using my BT Yahoo Mail
username and password, i.e a bit of mix and match. Full details are
available at the following site http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt

Many many thanks

Steve

<robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "Stephen Flanagan" <stephen.flanagan2@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Have just got windows vista (64 bit) and have set up my e-mails to use
>> Windows Mail. Can receive on 3 e-mail addresses (1 on BT & 2 on
>> virgin.net) however can only send on the BT one as they are my broadband
>> supplier. I have changed the smtp settings to use mail.btinternet.com
>> from smtp.virgin.net but still can't send on virgin. Have ticked the box
>> for my server requires authentication. However when I try to send I get
>> a small dialogue box asking me to input my user name and password which I
>> do but it keeps re-appearing until I cancel sending the mail. I did try
>> auto set up for smtp via BT Yahoo but it states it's for Outlook express
>> and didn't work anyway. I'm sure its a setting I need to change or a
>> port (using 25 at the moment).
>>
>> I can send on virgin via the web site but would like to send via Windows
>> Mail. Any ideas out there?
>>
>> I had this trouble on my old PC as my virgin addresses are from an old
>> dial up when I was with virgin, in the end although I have BT
>> Broadband @ £27.99/m was told I had to pay an extra £1.50 a month for BY
>> Yahoo Premium mail which is what I am doing. I'm sure BT are robbing me
>> bit having spent hours trying to configure it's easier to pay £1.50 a
>> month and it worked on my old PC!
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Connections using port 25 are often blocked if they cross over from one
> internet provider's equipment to another's before they reach the server.
>
> See if this helps:
>
> <http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/105644-can-t-send-email-virgin-net-address.html>

Re: Winows mail smtp or port error?
You're welcome.