Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Johnop

Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
I have had a succesful connection for over a year. Suddenly I can't send. I
get the following message:

inactivity. Subject 'Read: Help Yourself Wholefoods 5x2 proof for Apr.22',
Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: SMTP,
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

There does not appear to be any problem with my server. I can go online and
send from my providers site. There is no long period of inactivity and no
apparent network problems. I have not been able to send from home for 3 days
now. Any Clues?

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send

"Johnop" <Johnop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had a succesful connection for over a year. Suddenly I can't send. I
> get the following message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'Read: Help Yourself Wholefoods 5x2 proof for Apr.22',
> Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: SMTP,
> Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> There does not appear to be any problem with my server. I can go online
> and
> send from my providers site. There is no long period of inactivity and no
> apparent network problems. I have not been able to send from home for 3
> days
> now. Any Clues?

Does your connection to that server cross over from one internet provider's
equipment to another's before it gets to the server? Wireless connections
sometimes start out through a neighbor's internet provider instead of yours.
If so, connections to port 25 are often blocked to cause problems for
spammers, and you need to ask your email provider if their outgoing mail
server listens for outgoing mail on any port other than port 25, and if so,
where to find the details of switching to the other port. Incoming mail and
webmail use different ports, and therefore aren't affected by this. Just
trying all the ports is a very slow way to find out, since there are about
65,000 ports available.

See if this helps you find any information you need:

<http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12611>

Also, check if messages you have been trying to send are piling up in
the Outbox, and staying there for an unreasonable time. If so, move
these messages to the Drafts folder or delete them. If any refuse to
do either, download and install this hotfix, with Windows Mail not
running:

Although it's labelled as for mail stuck in the Outbox, it also works in
other folders. If you don't know whether you have a 32-bit version
of Vista or a 64-bit version, try the hotfix for the 32-bit version first.
Certain common antivirus programs, such as most of those from
Norton or McAfee, tend to cause stuck messages and other problems
in Windows Mail, so if you have such a program, remember where
to find the hotfix, and hope it will install again if you need it again.
The Vista SP1 update also includes this hotfix, but takes longer to
install. A recent version of the Trend antivirus program also causes
assorted problems in Windows Mail.

If this doesn't fix your problem, click on any error messages you get
when you try to send yourself a message, and copy the entire error
messages to your next message. Also, tell us what if antivirus programs
you have.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
"Johnop" <Johnop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had a succesful connection for over a year. Suddenly I can't send. I
> get the following message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'Read: Help Yourself Wholefoods 5x2 proof for Apr.22',
> Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: SMTP,
> Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> There does not appear to be any problem with my server. I can go online
> and
> send from my providers site. There is no long period of inactivity and no
> apparent network problems. I have not been able to send from home for 3
> days
> now. Any Clues?

Email scanning should be turned off in any anti-virus. Also exclude EML
files from the scan. It provides no protection not provided by the regular
resident protection.
Besides that, McAfee and Norton are not compatible with Windows Mail and
Outlook Express and should be uninstalled. The latest version of Trend's
anti-virus seems to be causing problems too.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

ryan.austin@austintech.us

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
Just fixed one of these today. The issue I came across was webroot
spysweeper's email shield. I turned it off and problem was gone.

Definitely a software issue. Look for conflicts between antiviruses
and start disabling email scanners.
garysgold

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send

Might find something of use here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62...-problems.html

Gary

--
garysgold

Vista Home Premiumx32 SP1
Q6600 Quad Core 2.40 GHz
4 GB Ram 800 MHz
Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB
500 GB HD
Exp. Index=5.5
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
In case you hadn't noticed, the custom in newsgroup posts
is to quote the message you're responding to.
My newsreader (like most) is configured to hide previously read messages.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"garysgold" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:c443ba35d98c4191e0b26bc878350df2@nntp-gateway.com...

> Might find something of use here:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62...-problems.html
>
> Gary
>

> --
> garysgold
>
> Vista Home Premiumx32 SP1
> Q6600 Quad Core 2.40 GHz
> 4 GB Ram 800 MHz
> Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB
> 500 GB HD
> Exp. Index=5.5

jhammer931 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
I disabled Nortons outgoing e-mail scanning and now it works fine. Thanks for the advice.
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
Amazing how that works. Thanks for your feedback.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"jhammer931" <jhammer931.3eapk5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:jhammer931.3eapk5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I disabled Nortons outgoing e-mail scanning and now it works fine.
> Thanks for the advice.
>

> --
> jhammer931

MountainAccountant

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send
Have been fighting with this for several days after using Windows Mail for
over a year. My ISP could only tell me it was related to MS Exchange Mail
Servers, and not them. Could send from their site. Could receive anything.
Coudln't send from Windows Mail. I read your comments today, turned off the
Webroot Spysweeper's Email Shield, and now it seems to be working fine.
Thanks so much!
One more question: How do I scan my emails for viruses now?
--
Mtn Accountant

"ryan.austin@austintech.us" wrote:

> Just fixed one of these today. The issue I came across was webroot
> spysweeper's email shield. I turned it off and problem was gone.
>
> Definitely a software issue. Look for conflicts between antiviruses
> and start disabling email scanners.

Urbain Lambert

Re: Receiving mail OK Windows Mail won't send

"MountainAccountant" <MountainAccountant@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:FC31C164-AE49-43DE-BD32-0F2A294C19D2@microsoft.com...