can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Donna

can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
At some point after I re-imported my email folders into Windows Mail after
reformating my hard drive, I noticed that a "Recovered Messages" folder
joined my Local Folder list. Every time I open Windows Mail it adds another
folder (entitled with the time and date) within this Recovered Messages
folder. All these folders are empty, and I can delete each one
individually, but this main Recovered Messages folder can't be deleted, and
it keeps producing all these other folders. How can I get rid of it?

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with Windows Mail
6.0.6000.16386.

Donna

Gary VanderMolen

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
The easiest way to stop new 'Recovered Messages' folders from generating
is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:80ABF355-6ABF-4348-9CF8-4A0C64D0A5F0@microsoft.com...
> At some point after I re-imported my email folders into Windows Mail after
> reformating my hard drive, I noticed that a "Recovered Messages" folder
> joined my Local Folder list. Every time I open Windows Mail it adds another
> folder (entitled with the time and date) within this Recovered Messages
> folder. All these folders are empty, and I can delete each one
> individually, but this main Recovered Messages folder can't be deleted, and
> it keeps producing all these other folders. How can I get rid of it?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with Windows Mail
> 6.0.6000.16386.
>
> Donna

Steve Cochran

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
Try compacting and repairing the database with my Windows Mail utility
(www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/). Also try updating to Vista SP1 and see if that
helps
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...svistasp1.mspx ).

steve

"Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> At some point after I re-imported my email folders into Windows Mail after
> reformating my hard drive, I noticed that a "Recovered Messages" folder
> joined my Local Folder list. Every time I open Windows Mail it adds
> another
> folder (entitled with the time and date) within this Recovered Messages
> folder. All these folders are empty, and I can delete each one
> individually, but this main Recovered Messages folder can't be deleted,
> and
> it keeps producing all these other folders. How can I get rid of it?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with Windows Mail
> 6.0.6000.16386.
>
> Donna

Donna

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
Is there another way to stop the Recovered Messages folder from generating?
I have to pay for my internet time by the minute and I don't want to be
dependent on being connected to the internet while I work on my email.
Besides, I like Windows Mail better than Windows Live Mail.

Donna

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> The easiest way to stop new 'Recovered Messages' folders from generating
> is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)
>

> "Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> At some point after I re-imported my email folders into Windows Mail
>> after
>> reformating my hard drive, I noticed that a "Recovered Messages" folder
>> joined my Local Folder list. Every time I open Windows Mail it adds
>> another
>> folder (entitled with the time and date) within this Recovered Messages
>> folder. All these folders are empty, and I can delete each one
>> individually, but this main Recovered Messages folder can't be deleted,
>> and
>> it keeps producing all these other folders. How can I get rid of it?
>>
>> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with Windows Mail
>> 6.0.6000.16386.
>>
>> Donna

Gary VanderMolen

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
You can do a "reset" of WM by following the rather laborious
instructions here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62...-problems.html

Scroll down that page and read the section "How to Backup and Reset
Windows Mail".

What makes you think that WLM would cause you to be connected
to the Internet longer than when you use WM? There is no difference
in that regard.

--

"Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:54D0F16D-890A-4B71-820C-F81757D03FE9@microsoft.com...
> Is there another way to stop the Recovered Messages folder from generating? I have to pay for my internet time by the minute and
> I don't want to be dependent on being connected to the internet while I work on my email. Besides, I like Windows Mail better
> than Windows Live Mail.
>
> Donna
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:urmJdR1nIHA.4212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> The easiest way to stop new 'Recovered Messages' folders from generating
>> is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)
>>

>> "Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:80ABF355-6ABF-4348-9CF8-4A0C64D0A5F0@microsoft.com...
>>> At some point after I re-imported my email folders into Windows Mail after
>>> reformating my hard drive, I noticed that a "Recovered Messages" folder
>>> joined my Local Folder list. Every time I open Windows Mail it adds another
>>> folder (entitled with the time and date) within this Recovered Messages
>>> folder. All these folders are empty, and I can delete each one
>>> individually, but this main Recovered Messages folder can't be deleted, and
>>> it keeps producing all these other folders. How can I get rid of it?
>>>
>>> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with Windows Mail
>>> 6.0.6000.16386.
>>>
>>> Donna

Donna

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
Thanks for your help. I followed the laborious instructions and everything
seems fine now.

I see now that you can turn WLM offline. Maybe I will try that program at
another time. I just don't feel like learning another mail program right
now!

> You can do a "reset" of WM by following the rather laborious
> instructions here:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62...-problems.html
>
> Scroll down that page and read the section "How to Backup and Reset
> Windows Mail".
>
> What makes you think that WLM would cause you to be connected
> to the Internet longer than when you use WM? There is no difference
> in that regard.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)
>

> "Donna" <donnagailrider@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there another way to stop the Recovered Messages folder from
>> generating? I have to pay for my internet time by the minute and I don't
>> want to be dependent on being connected to the internet while I work on
>> my email. Besides, I like Windows Mail better than Windows Live Mail.
>>
>> Donna
>>
>> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> The easiest way to stop new 'Recovered Messages' folders from generating
>>> is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

Gary VanderMolen

Re: can't delete "Recovered Messages" folder
You're welcome, Donna.