Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Mail hangs the system

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
andrew
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Mail hangs the system
When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
everything jumps back into action!

I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
"C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000)
for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
(61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty
hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
diagnosing the problem."

A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and I'd
need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!

Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system

"andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FC24E253-7424-4CC2-9732-C29863F02184@microsoft.com...
> When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
> so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
> everything jumps back into action!
>
> I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
> "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
> Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0
> (0x0000000000000000)
> for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
> (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to
> faulty
> hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
> diagnosing the problem."
>
> A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and
> I'd
> need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance


What if any antivirus programs do you have? Some of them cause assorted
problems in Windows Mail, although seldom immediately.

Does your computer have a hardware test program that came with it?
If so, try running that program.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
andrew
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
Thanks for responding, Robert.

I'm using the AVG (free edition) antivirus, which I finally switched to
after Norton caused endless problems, not least with Outlook Express!

I've tried a memory scan (no problems reported) but am unaware of any
further hardware checks I can do?

"robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:

>
> "andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FC24E253-7424-4CC2-9732-C29863F02184@microsoft.com...
> > When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
> > so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
> > everything jumps back into action!
> >
> > I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
> > "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
> > Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0
> > (0x0000000000000000)
> > for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
> > (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to
> > faulty
> > hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
> > diagnosing the problem."
> >
> > A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and
> > I'd
> > need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance

>
> What if any antivirus programs do you have? Some of them cause assorted
> problems in Windows Mail, although seldom immediately.
>
> Does your computer have a hardware test program that came with it?
> If so, try running that program.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
andrew
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
I should have added:

The hang takes place between the Windows Mail spash screen and the
application window appearing. At this point I've not got as far as sending or
receiving anything.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
After you uninstalled Norton, did you run the cleanup program to
handle what the uninstall left behind?

<http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

Sometimes you even have to remove your email account under
Windows Mail, then restart Windows Mail and create the account
again.

When you installed AVG, did you use the standard install? If so, it
may help to uninstall it and then do a custom install where you tell it
to leave out the part that scans email.

Outlook Express won't run under Vista.

The hardware test procedures usually depend on what type of PC
you have. You may have to ask the company that made it for
more hardware test programs you can run.

"andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:72AC4399-A3BD-47F1-AFA3-B50735505FCE@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for responding, Robert.
>
> I'm using the AVG (free edition) antivirus, which I finally switched to
> after Norton caused endless problems, not least with Outlook Express!
>
> I've tried a memory scan (no problems reported) but am unaware of any
> further hardware checks I can do?
>
> "robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:
>
>>
>> "andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:FC24E253-7424-4CC2-9732-C29863F02184@microsoft.com...
>> > When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute
>> > or
>> > so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on.
>> > Finally,
>> > everything jumps back into action!
>> >
>> > I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
>> > "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
>> > Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0
>> > (0x0000000000000000)
>> > for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long
>> > time
>> > (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to
>> > faulty
>> > hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
>> > diagnosing the problem."
>> >
>> > A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and
>> > I'd
>> > need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance

>>
>> What if any antivirus programs do you have? Some of them cause assorted
>> problems in Windows Mail, although seldom immediately.
>>
>> Does your computer have a hardware test program that came with it?
>> If so, try running that program.
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
"andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5DCC3E21-CDC5-4936-9E3B-A8B555B4BDB8@microsoft.com...
>I should have added:
>
> The hang takes place between the Windows Mail spash screen and the
> application window appearing. At this point I've not got as far as sending
> or
> receiving anything.
>


Make sure email scanning is turned off in AVG.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com
Do not reply with email

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
dado
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Mail hangs the system
I had the same problem and I also tried to use Thunderbird and other email
clients and now it is ok as I discovered that I had a lot of email adresses (
about 7.000 )
now I have imported only those that I really needs and the problem was gone

"andrew" wrote:

> When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
> so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
> everything jumps back into action!
>
> I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
> "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
> Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000)
> for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
> (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty
> hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
> diagnosing the problem."
>
> A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and I'd
> need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2008
andrew
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Mail hangs the system
Thanks, dado.
I don't have many email addresses (I don't think I know 70 people, much less
7000!)...but I DO have a lot of saved messages. I'll try to get around to
exporting or weeding them and see if it helps.

Thanks Frank, too, for your thought of turning off email scanning. I'm
trying that...but it's hard to test as the problem isn't consistent. It seems
to depend on what else Vista might be doing at the time (presumably it's
sometimes busy with something far more interesting than launching Windows
Mail..!)



"dado" wrote:

> I had the same problem and I also tried to use Thunderbird and other email
> clients and now it is ok as I discovered that I had a lot of email adresses (
> about 7.000 )
> now I have imported only those that I really needs and the problem was gone
>
> "andrew" wrote:
>
> > When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
> > so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
> > everything jumps back into action!
> >
> > I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
> > "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
> > Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000)
> > for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
> > (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty
> > hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
> > diagnosing the problem."
> >
> > A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and I'd
> > need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
On the chance that this problem is being caused by something in
your Windows Mail, you may want to try switching to Windows Live
Mail: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)


"andrew" <andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A825B060-0833-4D38-8E03-80F56C1E360D@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, dado.
> I don't have many email addresses (I don't think I know 70 people, much less
> 7000!)...but I DO have a lot of saved messages. I'll try to get around to
> exporting or weeding them and see if it helps.
>
> Thanks Frank, too, for your thought of turning off email scanning. I'm
> trying that...but it's hard to test as the problem isn't consistent. It seems
> to depend on what else Vista might be doing at the time (presumably it's
> sometimes busy with something far more interesting than launching Windows
> Mail..!)
>
>
>
> "dado" wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem and I also tried to use Thunderbird and other email
>> clients and now it is ok as I discovered that I had a lot of email adresses (
>> about 7.000 )
>> now I have imported only those that I really needs and the problem was gone
>>
>> "andrew" wrote:
>>
>> > When I start Windows Mail, it often hangs the whole system for a minute or
>> > so. Even Ctrl-Shft-Esc won't work to help me see what's going on. Finally,
>> > everything jumps back into action!
>> >
>> > I tracked down a log entry that says "A request to write to the file
>> > "C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
>> > Mail\Backup\temp\WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000)
>> > for 2097152 (0x00200000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time
>> > (61 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty
>> > hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance
>> > diagnosing the problem."
>> >
>> > A hardware problem seems unlikely, as everything else works fine....and I'd
>> > need a bit more information to go back to my 'hardware vendor' anyway!
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks in advance



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
andrew
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail hangs the system
After further experimentation, I've found that:

- Disabling the AVG email scanner doesn't change the situation
- Windows Live Mail has a similar problem
- Whether the hang takes place or not seems to be related solely to how soon
after boot-up I start the mail program. If I leave the machine alone for 5
minutes or more, then there's not a problem - but the hang takes place if I
try it much before this.

So it seems to be linked to some of the many activities that Vista decides
to do 'behind the scenes' on bootup. I've had a go at disabling a few
(non-OS) startups, but it's noticeable that heavy hard drive activity
continues for several minutes after boot-up. I've not managed to determine
exactly what's going on, even with Task Manager.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs JPhilo microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 11 01-27-2010 17:23
Duplicate Updates & System Hangs!!! stillarfish microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 12-25-2007 16:48
KB933566 - Causing Windows Mail hangs MooJuice microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 06-12-2007 23:53
System hangs. Task Manager useless =?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 05-09-2007 22:23
My entire system hangs every 3 to 4 minutes =?Utf-8?B?SW5keUJpbGw2Ng==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-11-2007 19:35




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120