windows mail attachments

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

jv2472

windows mail attachments
Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened it
from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?
Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail attachments
No, it gets saved to some random-named temporary file.
It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Needless to say, never edit documents opened directly from your
email program. Save the attachment first, then open the saved file.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:986E30B1-E7C7-41A0-8CF4-096553C862A3@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened it
> from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?

jv2472

Re: windows mail attachments
Thank you Gary. When it's 3 a.m. and you are getting a report finished for
the next day and you didn't receive the data you needed until 5 p.m., you
sorta forget what you are doing. Thanks for your help.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> No, it gets saved to some random-named temporary file.
> It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
> Needless to say, never edit documents opened directly from your
> email program. Save the attachment first, then open the saved file.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)
>

> "jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:986E30B1-E7C7-41A0-8CF4-096553C862A3@microsoft.com...
> > Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened it
> > from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail attachments
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. We all make mistakes from time to time.

--

"jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9735F737-EF37-4ABA-AE3D-712F67E213EE@microsoft.com...
> Thank you Gary. When it's 3 a.m. and you are getting a report finished for
> the next day and you didn't receive the data you needed until 5 p.m., you
> sorta forget what you are doing. Thanks for your help.
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> No, it gets saved to some random-named temporary file.
>> It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
>> Needless to say, never edit documents opened directly from your
>> email program. Save the attachment first, then open the saved file.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)
>>

>> "jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:986E30B1-E7C7-41A0-8CF4-096553C862A3@microsoft.com...
>> > Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened it
>> > from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?

Location: Indiana
lnicolei is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can find it I just did that myself. You have to make sure that in the control panel file and folder options, view, show hidden files is marked. Also you can't explore for the file you have to actually go into "my computer" and in the browser type "C:\Users\{YOUR LOGIN NAME}\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5" there will be some files in there like 60nh2 blah blah blah. But in those files will be all of your temporary internet files. It should be in there as long as you haven't cleared them out in the internet options and you did actually save them. Let me know if it works. I spent HOURS trying to find mine. I did.
SALLY NAVALES

Re: windows mail attachments

"jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened
> it
> from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?

jdlaw27 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: windows mail attachments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALLY NAVALES View Post
"jv2472" <jv2472@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to recover a modified email attachment if you only opened
> it
> from the email, modified it and just hit the save icon?
No. Do not listen to the above. It is much easier than that: If you opened a Windows Mail Attachment and then inadvertantly began editing it without saving under a new file name/location and then after spending time (maybe hours) editing/revising, saving along the way, then exit the document -- it does appear lost to you. But getting it back is easy!

Open Windows Mail. Go to the message that had the original file attachment. Open that attachment. Then once in your program, like word, or excel, or whatever -- click on "file - open" you will see the documents you have been working on in the "user/appdata/microsoft/windows/ ...." whatever -- and there should be more than one file and they will be in the form "document.doc," "document(1).doc," "document(2).doc," etc. depending on how many times you may have opened and edited that attachment. One of these is your file. You can right-click and look at properties to see the dates to determine the right one. Open it, save it under new name/location, and then absolutely, under no circustances ... ever ... ever do it again!

Actually, we have all done this many times even though we know better.