How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

bobmay

How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail
I have only had Vista for 10 days and already I'm getting messages that my
mailbox is full and some messages are being blocked. I used Outlook Express
for 6 years and never had this problem. A tiny mailbox is no use to anyone,
how can I increase it's capacity ?
Tom Lake

Re: How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail

"bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have only had Vista for 10 days and already I'm getting messages that my
> mailbox is full and some messages are being blocked. I used Outlook
> Express
> for 6 years and never had this problem. A tiny mailbox is no use to
> anyone,
> how can I increase it's capacity ?

It's probably your mailbox on your ISP's Mail Server that's full.
To check it, click on Tools, Accounts, then your email account,
click the Properties button, click the Advanced tab. Now look
under the last category Delivery. If
"Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked, uncheck it or
fill in the box marked "Remove from server after" with the number
of days to retain messages.

Tom Lake

bobmay

"Tom Lake" wrote:

> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have only had Vista for 10 days and already I'm getting messages that my
> > mailbox is full and some messages are being blocked. I used Outlook
> > Express
> > for 6 years and never had this problem. A tiny mailbox is no use to
> > anyone,
> > how can I increase it's capacity ?

> It's probably your mailbox on your ISP's Mail Server that's full.
> To check it, click on Tools, Accounts, then your email account,
> click the Properties button, click the Advanced tab. Now look
> under the last category Delivery. If
> "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked, uncheck it or
> fill in the box marked "Remove from server after" with the number
> of days to retain messages.
>
> Tom Lake

I appreciate the reply but the Advanced tab on my copy of Windows mail does
not have a "delivery" category. Thanks anyway.
Any other ideas ?

Bob.
Dave

Re: How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail
You may be looking in Tools - Options.

Look in Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
at the bottom

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> "Tom Lake" wrote:
>

>> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have only had Vista for 10 days and already I'm getting messages that
>> >my
>> > mailbox is full and some messages are being blocked. I used Outlook
>> > Express
>> > for 6 years and never had this problem. A tiny mailbox is no use to
>> > anyone,
>> > how can I increase it's capacity ?

>> It's probably your mailbox on your ISP's Mail Server that's full.
>> To check it, click on Tools, Accounts, then your email account,
>> click the Properties button, click the Advanced tab. Now look
>> under the last category Delivery. If
>> "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked, uncheck it or
>> fill in the box marked "Remove from server after" with the number
>> of days to retain messages.
>>
>> Tom Lake
>>

> I appreciate the reply but the Advanced tab on my copy of Windows mail
> does
> not have a "delivery" category. Thanks anyway.
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Bob.

bobmay

"Dave" wrote:

> You may be looking in Tools - Options.
>
> Look in Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
> at the bottom
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Tom Lake" wrote:
> >

> >> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> It's probably your mailbox on your ISP's Mail Server that's full.
> >> To check it, click on Tools, Accounts, then your email account,
> >> click the Properties button, click the Advanced tab. Now look
> >> under the last category Delivery. If
> >> "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked, uncheck it or
> >> fill in the box marked "Remove from server after" with the number
> >> of days to retain messages.
> >>
> >> Tom Lake
> >>

> > I appreciate the reply but the Advanced tab on my copy of Windows mail
> > does
> > not have a "delivery" category. Thanks anyway.
> > Any other ideas ?
> >
> > Bob.

> Yep, that was where it was Dave...but the 'leave messages on server' box was already unchecked sooooo that's not it.

Someone must know the answer to this I have only 36 messages in my IN box
and 26 messages in the sent box but it's telling me the quota is maxed out
????
Bob.

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> You may be looking in Tools - Options.
>>
>> Look in Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
>> at the bottom
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I appreciate the reply but the Advanced tab on my copy of Windows mail
>> > does
>> > not have a "delivery" category. Thanks anyway.
>> > Any other ideas ?
>> >
>> > Bob.

>> Yep, that was where it was Dave...but the 'leave messages on server' box
>> was already unchecked sooooo that's not it.

> Someone must know the answer to this I have only 36 messages in my IN box
> and 26 messages in the sent box but it's telling me the quota is maxed out
> ????
> Bob.

Windows Mail doesn't have a quota unless your hard drive is much smaller
than most hard drives. How much is the total size of those messages, and
how much free space is left on your hard drive?

Bob

Re: How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail
Create another folder named Saved Items (or whatever) and move messages
into it.

"robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:

> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> You may be looking in Tools - Options.
> >>
> >> Look in Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
> >> at the bottom
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> >>
> >> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Yep, that was where it was Dave...but the 'leave messages on server' box
> >> was already unchecked sooooo that's not it.

> > Someone must know the answer to this I have only 36 messages in my IN box
> > and 26 messages in the sent box but it's telling me the quota is maxed out
> > ????
> > Bob.

> Windows Mail doesn't have a quota unless your hard drive is much smaller
> than most hard drives. How much is the total size of those messages, and
> how much free space is left on your hard drive?
>

> The total size of the files is tiny (about 10Mb) and the free space on the HD is 249Gb It's not partitioned.

Bob.

> "robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net" wrote:
>

>> "bobmay" <bobmay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Someone must know the answer to this I have only 36 messages in my IN
>> > box
>> > and 26 messages in the sent box but it's telling me the quota is maxed
>> > out
>> > ????
>> > Bob.

>> Windows Mail doesn't have a quota unless your hard drive is much smaller
>> than most hard drives. How much is the total size of those messages, and
>> how much free space is left on your hard drive?
>>

>> The total size of the files is tiny (about 10Mb) and the free space on
>> the HD is 249Gb It's not partitioned.

> Bob.

Sometimes antivirus or other security programs cause assorted problems
in Windows Mail, although seldom immediately. What if any such
programs do you have?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: How to increase size of mailbox in windows mail
You need to go to the mail server via webmail access (using your browser).
If your mail provider does not offer webmail access, go here:
http://mail2web.com
See how many messages are on the server, and delete the ones you
no longer care about.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)