Windows Mail is deleting my original emails

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

John H

Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox is
empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the original
message.

How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server incase
my hard drive ever fails.
Dave

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it has
been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.

Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
[x] Leave a copy of messages on server
[x] Remove from server after xx days

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"John H" <John H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox is
> empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the
> original
> message.
>
> How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server incase
> my hard drive ever fails.

rollie

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
I have the same problem as John, but in tools advanced, there is no place to
check "leave a copy of message on server".

"Dave" wrote:

> As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it has
> been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
> Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
> but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.
>
> Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
> [x] Leave a copy of messages on server
> [x] Remove from server after xx days
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "John H" <John H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox is
> > empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the
> > original
> > message.
> >
> > How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server incase
> > my hard drive ever fails.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
Don't you get a screen like the one I have attached?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLM)

"rollie" <rollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85D1A51B-D3E4-4457-BEF4-F379D92B1D69@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem as John, but in tools advanced, there is no place to
> check "leave a copy of message on server".
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it has
>> been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
>> Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
>> but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.
>>
>> Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
>> [x] Leave a copy of messages on server
>> [x] Remove from server after xx days
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "John H" <John H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox is
>> > empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the
>> > original
>> > message.
>> >
>> > How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server incase
>> > my hard drive ever fails.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
"rollie" <rollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem as John, but in tools advanced, there is no place
> check "leave a copy of message on server".
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it
>> has
>> been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
>> Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
>> but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.
>>
>> Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
>> [x] Leave a copy of messages on server
>> [x] Remove from server after xx days
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "John H" <John H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox
>> > is
>> > empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the
>> > original
>> > message.
>> >
>> > How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server
>> > incase
>> > my hard drive ever fails.

Is it an IMAP or a POP3 account?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Dave

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
You may have gone into Tools - Options, instead of Tools - Accounts

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"rollie" <rollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem as John, but in tools advanced, there is no place
> check "leave a copy of message on server".
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it
>> has
>> been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
>> Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
>> but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.
>>
>> Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
>> [x] Leave a copy of messages on server
>> [x] Remove from server after xx days
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "John H" <John H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I use Cox webmail. If I log into their mail system at cox.net my inbox
>> > is
>> > empty, because every time Windows Mail send/recieves it deletes the
>> > original
>> > message.
>> >
>> > How do I stop this? I want to keep my email stored on Cox's server
>> > incase
>> > my hard drive ever fails.

Joel

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
I have the same problem, I go to Tools, Accounts, then Advanced. I have
checked leave a copy of message on server. However the e-mails get deleted
from the server right away. this recently started happening and I have no
idea why.

"Dave" wrote:

> You may have gone into Tools - Options, instead of Tools - Accounts
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "rollie" <rollie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same problem as John, but in tools advanced, there is no place
> > check "leave a copy of message on server".
> >

> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> As you have noticed, WM by default deletes mail on the server after it
> >> has
> >> been downloaded. This is to prevent your server inbox from filling up.
> >> Most ISP's have a limit. You can set WM to leave messages on the server,
> >> but you probably should have it delete them after a few days.
> >>
> >> Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
> >> [x] Leave a copy of messages on server
> >> [x] Remove from server after xx days
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Re: Windows Mail is deleting my original emails
Some email providers (I believe gmail.com is one of them) ignore any
attempts to save a copy of the messages on the server after you
download them.

news410678B-C8A3-4A60-BCF2-BD61F2ADFA1F@microsoft.com...