Windows Mail can compact the message store."

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Mr. Ray

Windows Mail can compact the message store."
You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
The popup messages should cease.
--
RC
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...

There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Mr. Ray" <cloutier.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5ADDEB56-20BD-4B47-9C7A-EB780E692D0F@microsoft.com...
> You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
> then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
> unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
> The popup messages should cease.
> --
> RC

I want to get rid of the message compact

RE: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
There is no maintenance tab

"Mr. Ray" wrote:

> You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
> then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
> unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
> The popup messages should cease.
> --
> RC

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

<Iwanttogetridofthemessagecompact@discussions.micr osoft.com> wrote in
message news:F8E37473-B680-473F-A545-283DB0591C8D@microsoft.com...
> There is no maintenance tab
>
> "Mr. Ray" wrote:
>
>> You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail
>> "tool"
>> then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
>> unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100
>> runs.
>> The popup messages should cease.
>> --
>> RC

It's under Advanced. Like RC said.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
See screenshot below.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"I want to get rid of the message compact" <Iwanttogetridofthemessagecompact@discussions.micr osoft.com> wrote in message
> There is no maintenance tab
>
> "Mr. Ray" wrote:
>
>> You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
>> then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
>> unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
>> The popup messages should cease.
>> --
>> RC

Papa Bear

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
I actually do compact mine when asked, however i thought it was just to free
up space. Is that correct or not? What is the importance of actually
performing this if it isn't for clearing up some space?

Regards,

BigNic

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...
>
> There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>

> "Mr. Ray" <cloutier.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5ADDEB56-20BD-4B47-9C7A-EB780E692D0F@microsoft.com...
> > You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
> > then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
> > unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
> > The popup messages should cease.
> > --
> > RC

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
It frees up space in the index file for pointers to the deleted messages.
However, it's more important that it allows you to access the database
for all the messages faster.

"Papa Bear" <Papa Bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I actually do compact mine when asked, however i thought it was just to
>free
> up space. Is that correct or not? What is the importance of actually
> performing this if it isn't for clearing up some space?
>
> Regards,
>
> BigNic
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...
>>
>> There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>>

>> "Mr. Ray" <cloutier.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail
>> > "tool"
>> > then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance"
>> > then
>> > unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100
>> > runs.
>> > The popup messages should cease.
>> > --
>> > RC

Steve Cochran

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
It shrinks down the database for faster performance.

steve

"Papa Bear" <Papa Bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I actually do compact mine when asked, however i thought it was just to
>free
> up space. Is that correct or not? What is the importance of actually
> performing this if it isn't for clearing up some space?
>
> Regards,
>
> BigNic
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...
>>
>> There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>>

>> "Mr. Ray" <cloutier.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail
>> > "tool"
>> > then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance"
>> > then
>> > unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100
>> > runs.
>> > The popup messages should cease.
>> > --
>> > RC

Fortuitous

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
I do not understand. Why should the compaction be done?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> That's like turning off the seatbelt warning buzzer on your car...
>
> There is a good reason why compaction should be done periodically.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>

> "Mr. Ray" <cloutier.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5ADDEB56-20BD-4B47-9C7A-EB780E692D0F@microsoft.com...
> > You can stop the pop up from coming up everytime by going to the mail "tool"
> > then click "options" then click "advanced" then click "maintenance" then
> > unclick the box that says " Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs.
> > The popup messages should cease.
> > --
> > RC

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact the message store."
It's a necessary housekeeping chore. Like periodically taking out the
garbage at home. Eventually the garbage would take up so much
space that you can't live in the house anymore.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)