identities

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Catherine E. Thompson

identities
I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for personal.
With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop and
all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
email address . Is this correct? I certainly prefer the "change
identities" function with windows xp.
PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

brink

Re: identities

Catherine E. Thompson;543852 Wrote:
> I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for
> personal.
> With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop
> and
> all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
> email address . Is this correct? I certainly prefer the "change
> identities" function with windows xp.
> PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

Hi Catherine,

You might consider switching to Windows Live Mail (WLM) instead of
Winodows Mail. It supports Pop3, IMAP, HTTP website (EX: Hotmail)
email, and is a lot more stable. Plus, WLM will minimize to a tray bar
icon and has a separate Inbox for each email account. WLM will
automatically import Windows Mail messages, accounts, and settings into
it.
_Contacts_ will have to be manually imported from within WLM. (Tools,
Contacts, File, Import, Address book for current Windows User.) To
see the _Menu_bar_, press ALT+M and check "Show all menus".

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-live...downloads.html

You can read more about it's features here:
'Windows Live Mail' (http://morethanmail.spaces.live.com/)

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*

Re: identities

"Catherine E. Thompson" <naturalmoves@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for personal.
>With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop and
>all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
>email address . Is this correct? I certainly prefer the "change
>identities" function with windows xp.
> PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

Windows Mail doesn't support identities. However, you can add a second
email account to the same user's setup under Windows Mail and have all
the incoming mail from both email accounts go into one Inbox.

mac

Re: identities

"Catherine E. Thompson" <naturalmoves@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for personal.
>With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop and
>all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
>email address . Is this correct? I certainly prefer the "change
>identities" function with windows xp.
> PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

http://www.oehelp.com/WMIDs/Default.aspx

Not free.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: identities
"Catherine E. Thompson" <naturalmoves@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for personal.
>With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop and
>all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
>email address . Is this correct?

No.

> I certainly prefer the "change identities" function with windows xp.
> PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

You can work two ways after adding the second account from Tools | Accounts:

1. Just let all the mail come to the same Inbox. WinMail will
automatically reply using the account that downloaded the mail.

2. Make a new folder and use a Message Rule from the Tools menu to move
mail to it. Here's one of my rules:
Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the message is from the mail.fjsmjs.com account
Move it to the fjsmjs folder
and Stop processing more rules

Or, You can get Windows Live Mail which automatically uses different folders
for different accounts.

I use method 2 in Windows Mail.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Linda Espinosa

Re: identities
what was the answer?
"Catherine E. Thompson" <naturalmoves@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have two different email addresses, one for business, one for personal.
>With Vista it looks like I have to set up a whole new user with desktop and
>all files saved etc. in order to get my mail downloaded from my second
>email address . Is this correct? I certainly prefer the "change
>identities" function with windows xp.
> PLease help if anyone knows a better way. Thanks.c

Dave

Re: identities
There are 4 replies to her question.

--