Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Jim Beaver

Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
After going through hell for a few days with Windows Mail, I switched to
Windows Live Mail, which is clearly a better set-up for me. But there are
still a few problems.

My Contacts list now has duplicates for each contact. I went to Help for
clean-up advice and got the following instructions:

To clean up duplicate contacts:

1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with the Windows Live ID
(The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live,
MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network,
Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.) that
you use to sign in to Windows Live Mail.
2. Follow the instructions in Clean up duplicate contacts.

The problem is, the Windows Live Hotmail website prompts me to switch from
my current email set-up to Hotmail. I don't want to change my email
accounts to Hotmail. Am I understanding this correctly? Am I being
prompted to change email providers (email addresses, etc.), or to change
from Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Hotmail? And what's the benefit/need
for that? Anyway, what am I missing here about simply trying to clean up my
Contact List?

Second problem: when I switched from OE on my old computer to Windows Mail
on my new one, I was able (with a lot of figuring out) to move my Groups
intact from OE and install them as Groups within WM. But when I switched to
WLM, it transferred the Group names, but none of the contacts. They're
still there in the main Contact list, but all my Groups now show as empty.

A. Is there a means I've missed for recapturing the Groups?
B. Is it possible to export/import Groups from OE, if I need to start over,
i.e., import JUST the group and not the entire contact list?

So far the only problem I've noticed with WLM (other than the difficulty of
cleaning up the Contact list) is that the Contact list part is EXTREMELY
slow. It takes nearly 20 seconds merely to drag a contact from the main
list to a Group. If it weren't for that, I think I could just drag-and-drop
to recreate my Groups.

Jim Beaver

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
Don't worry about the prompt you are getting from the Windows Live
Hotmail site. I believe this refers to converting a standard Hotmail
account to a Live Hotmail account. Live Hotmail will not interfere with
your current email providers or your current default email client.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message news:GFk2j.65770$RX.34513@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
> After going through hell for a few days with Windows Mail, I switched to
> Windows Live Mail, which is clearly a better set-up for me. But there are
> still a few problems.
>
> My Contacts list now has duplicates for each contact. I went to Help for
> clean-up advice and got the following instructions:
>
> To clean up duplicate contacts:
>
> 1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with the Windows Live ID
> (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live,
> MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network,
> Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.) that
> you use to sign in to Windows Live Mail.
> 2. Follow the instructions in Clean up duplicate contacts.
>
> The problem is, the Windows Live Hotmail website prompts me to switch from
> my current email set-up to Hotmail. I don't want to change my email
> accounts to Hotmail. Am I understanding this correctly? Am I being
> prompted to change email providers (email addresses, etc.), or to change
> from Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Hotmail? And what's the benefit/need
> for that? Anyway, what am I missing here about simply trying to clean up my
> Contact List?
>
> Second problem: when I switched from OE on my old computer to Windows Mail
> on my new one, I was able (with a lot of figuring out) to move my Groups
> intact from OE and install them as Groups within WM. But when I switched to
> WLM, it transferred the Group names, but none of the contacts. They're
> still there in the main Contact list, but all my Groups now show as empty.
>
> A. Is there a means I've missed for recapturing the Groups?
> B. Is it possible to export/import Groups from OE, if I need to start over,
> i.e., import JUST the group and not the entire contact list?
>
> So far the only problem I've noticed with WLM (other than the difficulty of
> cleaning up the Contact list) is that the Contact list part is EXTREMELY
> slow. It takes nearly 20 seconds merely to drag a contact from the main
> list to a Group. If it weren't for that, I think I could just drag-and-drop
> to recreate my Groups.
>
> Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Re: Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
Is there a specific path to get to the Contact List cleanup? Step-by-step,
I mean. The instructions given in Windows Live Mail Help don't seem to get
me to the Cleanup, even though the instructions only have two steps (To
clean up duplicate contacts:
1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with the Windows Live ID
(The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live,
MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network,
Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.)
that
you use to sign in to Windows Live Mail.
2. Follow the instructions in Clean up duplicate contacts.)

These instructions just send me off into a world of Hotmail, with no visible
instructions for step 2. Searching Help within Hotmail turns up nothing
under Cleanup.

Jim Beaver

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Don't worry about the prompt you are getting from the Windows Live
> Hotmail site. I believe this refers to converting a standard Hotmail
> account to a Live Hotmail account. Live Hotmail will not interfere with
> your current email providers or your current default email client.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>

> "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
> news:GFk2j.65770$RX.34513@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
>> After going through hell for a few days with Windows Mail, I switched to
>> Windows Live Mail, which is clearly a better set-up for me. But there
>> are still a few problems.
>>
>> My Contacts list now has duplicates for each contact. I went to Help for
>> clean-up advice and got the following instructions:
>>
>> To clean up duplicate contacts:
>>
>> 1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with the Windows Live ID
>> (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live,
>> MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network,
>> Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.)
>> that you use to sign in to Windows Live Mail.
>> 2. Follow the instructions in Clean up duplicate contacts.
>>
>> The problem is, the Windows Live Hotmail website prompts me to switch
>> from my current email set-up to Hotmail. I don't want to change my email
>> accounts to Hotmail. Am I understanding this correctly? Am I being
>> prompted to change email providers (email addresses, etc.), or to change
>> from Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Hotmail? And what's the
>> benefit/need for that? Anyway, what am I missing here about simply
>> trying to clean up my Contact List?
>>
>> Second problem: when I switched from OE on my old computer to Windows
>> Mail on my new one, I was able (with a lot of figuring out) to move my
>> Groups intact from OE and install them as Groups within WM. But when I
>> switched to WLM, it transferred the Group names, but none of the
>> contacts. They're still there in the main Contact list, but all my
>> Groups now show as empty.
>>
>> A. Is there a means I've missed for recapturing the Groups?
>> B. Is it possible to export/import Groups from OE, if I need to start
>> over, i.e., import JUST the group and not the entire contact list?
>>
>> So far the only problem I've noticed with WLM (other than the difficulty
>> of cleaning up the Contact list) is that the Contact list part is
>> EXTREMELY slow. It takes nearly 20 seconds merely to drag a contact from
>> the main list to a Group. If it weren't for that, I think I could just
>> drag-and-drop to recreate my Groups.
>>
>> Jim Beaver

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
The steps to clean up Contacts are easily figured out once you are in Hotmail.
In Windows Live Hotmail, click on Contacts. After Contacts opens, click on
Options (near the upper right corner), then "Clean up duplicate contacts."

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message news:cum2j.65792$RX.46181@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
> [...]
>>>
>>> Second problem: when I switched from OE on my old computer to Windows
>>> Mail on my new one, I was able (with a lot of figuring out) to move my
>>> Groups intact from OE and install them as Groups within WM. But when I
>>> switched to WLM, it transferred the Group names, but none of the
>>> contacts. They're still there in the main Contact list, but all my
>>> Groups now show as empty.
>>>
>>> A. Is there a means I've missed for recapturing the Groups?
>>> B. Is it possible to export/import Groups from OE, if I need to start
>>> over, i.e., import JUST the group and not the entire contact list?
>>>
>>> So far the only problem I've noticed with WLM (other than the difficulty
>>> of cleaning up the Contact list) is that the Contact list part is
>>> EXTREMELY slow. It takes nearly 20 seconds merely to drag a contact from
>>> the main list to a Group. If it weren't for that, I think I could just

Jim Beaver

Re: Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
Unfortunately (unless I made an error along the way), this only cleans up
duplicate contacts in my new Hotmail account, which apparently I had to open
in order to get past the Windows Live Hotmail screen. And I don't HAVE any
contacts in the new Hotmail account.

Sorry to drag this out, but getting from the Windows Live Hotmail
welcome/sign in page to MY OWN Contacts list is the problem. Thanks.

> The steps to clean up Contacts are easily figured out once you are in
> Hotmail.
> In Windows Live Hotmail, click on Contacts. After Contacts opens, click
> on Options (near the upper right corner), then "Clean up duplicate
> contacts."
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>

> "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
> news:cum2j.65792$RX.46181@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
>> Is there a specific path to get to the Contact List cleanup?
>> Step-by-step, I mean. The instructions given in Windows Live Mail Help
>> don't seem to get me to the Cleanup, even though the instructions only
>> have two steps (To clean up duplicate contacts:
>> 1. Sign in to the Windows Live Hotmail website with the Windows Live ID
>> (The user name and password that you use to sign in to any Windows Live,
>> MSN, or Office Live sites and services. If you have a Passport Network,
>> Hotmail, or Messenger account, you can use it as your Windows Live ID.)
>> that
>> you use to sign in to Windows Live Mail.
>> 2. Follow the instructions in Clean up duplicate contacts.)
>>
>> These instructions just send me off into a world of Hotmail, with no
>> visible instructions for step 2. Searching Help within Hotmail turns up
>> nothing under Cleanup.
>>
>> Jim Beaver
>>

>> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Don't worry about the prompt you are getting from the Windows Live
>>> Hotmail site. I believe this refers to converting a standard Hotmail
>>> account to a Live Hotmail account. Live Hotmail will not interfere with
>>> your current email providers or your current default email client.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]
>>>

>>> "Jim Beaver" <jumblejim@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
>>> news:GFk2j.65770$RX.34513@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Cleaning up address book in Windows Live Mail
It doesn't just clean up Hotmail contacts. When you log in to Windows
Live Mail (WLM) with a Live ID, WLM Contacts synchronize with Hotmail
Contacts (and vice versa). If you have made many changes in one session,
it may take a couple of syncs before everything is equalized.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]