Installed avast,cannot connect to internet

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

lakota

Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
I was told that the problems with my Windows mail was because of my McAfee
AV program. So doing what I was told I needed to do, I installed the Avast AV
program. Now when I try to connect to the internet, I get a page saying page
cannot be found. I contacted my tech support and my computer is connecting to
the internet but nothing happens. The only way I can do anything, like
now(which is a really stupid thing to do) is to disable the Avast. Why, if
this is the AV that is recommended am I having problems getting on the
internet? I never had this problem with McAfee. What am I supposed to do.
There are so many places here that blame everything on Norton and McAfee and
say that there is not a Vista problem. Well is this an Avast problem? I need
help now to fix this problem. By the way, I have uninstalled my McAfee so if
this Avast doesn't work, then what? I did what I was told to do to make this
Windows Mail and Vista work.
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
"lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was told that the problems with my Windows mail was because of my McAfee
> AV program. So doing what I was told I needed to do, I installed the Avast
> AV
> program. Now when I try to connect to the internet, I get a page saying
> page
> cannot be found. I contacted my tech support and my computer is connecting
> the internet but nothing happens. The only way I can do anything, like
> now(which is a really stupid thing to do) is to disable the Avast. Why, if
> this is the AV that is recommended am I having problems getting on the
> internet? I never had this problem with McAfee. What am I supposed to do.
> There are so many places here that blame everything on Norton and McAfee
> and
> say that there is not a Vista problem. Well is this an Avast problem? I
> need
> help now to fix this problem. By the way, I have uninstalled my McAfee so
> if
> this Avast doesn't work, then what? I did what I was told to do to make
> this
> Windows Mail and Vista work.

I use Avast but I didn't install the email part. I've never had a problem
(two different machines).

Do you get any error message?
Can other programs connect?
Can you connect if you temporarily uninstall Avast?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

lakota

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
I don't get any message.When I click on the Internet icon it says it is
connecting and it looks like it is going to my home page but the only thing
that comes up is that it cannot display that page and gives a list of reasons
like trouble with site, not connected to internet,etc. If I run a diagnostics
it doesn't find a problem. If I disable the Avast, everything works fine.I
tried disabling the Avast and reloading my McAfee and no problems except when
I open my mail I get amessage that McAfee encountered a problem and had to
close.I didn't have all this trouble before installing Avast.

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was told that the problems with my Windows mail was because of my McAfee
> > AV program. So doing what I was told I needed to do, I installed the Avast
> > AV
> > program. Now when I try to connect to the internet, I get a page saying
> > page
> > cannot be found. I contacted my tech support and my computer is connecting
> > the internet but nothing happens. The only way I can do anything, like
> > now(which is a really stupid thing to do) is to disable the Avast. Why, if
> > this is the AV that is recommended am I having problems getting on the
> > internet? I never had this problem with McAfee. What am I supposed to do.
> > There are so many places here that blame everything on Norton and McAfee
> > and
> > say that there is not a Vista problem. Well is this an Avast problem? I
> > need
> > help now to fix this problem. By the way, I have uninstalled my McAfee so
> > if
> > this Avast doesn't work, then what? I did what I was told to do to make
> > this
> > Windows Mail and Vista work.

> I use Avast but I didn't install the email part. I've never had a problem
> (two different machines).
>
> Do you get any error message?
> Can other programs connect?
> Can you connect if you temporarily uninstall Avast?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> www.fjsmjs.com
> Do not send email

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
You're the first person I've come across who had trouble with Avast.

At least you know for sure now that McAfee interferes with Windows Mail,
so you should leave McAfee uninstalled. By the way, you should never
have two antivirus programs installed, even if one is disabled.
You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Avast if you want to give it
another chance.

Another option is to install the free version of AVG antivirus. Just be sure
to select custom install and unselect the email scanning module.
http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10761481.html
--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4310870D-A1B6-48D4-8FAB-05736F34397B@microsoft.com...
>I don't get any message.When I click on the Internet icon it says it is
> connecting and it looks like it is going to my home page but the only thing
> that comes up is that it cannot display that page and gives a list of reasons
> like trouble with site, not connected to internet,etc. If I run a diagnostics
> it doesn't find a problem. If I disable the Avast, everything works fine.I
> tried disabling the Avast and reloading my McAfee and no problems except when
> I open my mail I get amessage that McAfee encountered a problem and had to
> close.I didn't have all this trouble before installing Avast.
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was told that the problems with my Windows mail was because of my McAfee
>> > AV program. So doing what I was told I needed to do, I installed the Avast
>> > AV
>> > program. Now when I try to connect to the internet, I get a page saying
>> > page
>> > cannot be found. I contacted my tech support and my computer is connecting
>> > the internet but nothing happens. The only way I can do anything, like
>> > now(which is a really stupid thing to do) is to disable the Avast. Why, if
>> > this is the AV that is recommended am I having problems getting on the
>> > internet? I never had this problem with McAfee. What am I supposed to do.
>> > There are so many places here that blame everything on Norton and McAfee
>> > and
>> > say that there is not a Vista problem. Well is this an Avast problem? I
>> > need
>> > help now to fix this problem. By the way, I have uninstalled my McAfee so
>> > if
>> > this Avast doesn't work, then what? I did what I was told to do to make
>> > this
>> > Windows Mail and Vista work.

>> I use Avast but I didn't install the email part. I've never had a problem
>> (two different machines).
>>
>> Do you get any error message?
>> Can other programs connect?
>> Can you connect if you temporarily uninstall Avast?
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
>> www.fjsmjs.com
>> Do not send email

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
Could this be the problem?

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

From Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don' help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

NB: If you're running ZA Free firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead
of disabling it. You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else
online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
anti-virus application has been re-enabled!

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653)"
[or "Security Update for Windows XP (KB939653)"] via Add/Remove Programs
(make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right) and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.

"lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't get any message.When I click on the Internet icon it says it is
> connecting and it looks like it is going to my home page but the only
> thing
> that comes up is that it cannot display that page and gives a list of
> reasons
> like trouble with site, not connected to internet,etc. If I run a
> diagnostics
> it doesn't find a problem. If I disable the Avast, everything works fine.I
> tried disabling the Avast and reloading my McAfee and no problems except
> when
> I open my mail I get amessage that McAfee encountered a problem and had
> close.I didn't have all this trouble before installing Avast.
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "lakota" <lakota@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was told that the problems with my Windows mail was because of my
>> >McAfee
>> > AV program. So doing what I was told I needed to do, I installed the
>> > Avast
>> > AV
>> > program. Now when I try to connect to the internet, I get a page saying
>> > page
>> > cannot be found. I contacted my tech support and my computer is
>> > connecting
>> > the internet but nothing happens. The only way I can do anything, like
>> > now(which is a really stupid thing to do) is to disable the Avast. Why,
>> > if
>> > this is the AV that is recommended am I having problems getting on the
>> > internet? I never had this problem with McAfee. What am I supposed to
>> > do.
>> > There are so many places here that blame everything on Norton and
>> > McAfee
>> > and
>> > say that there is not a Vista problem. Well is this an Avast problem? I
>> > need
>> > help now to fix this problem. By the way, I have uninstalled my McAfee
>> > so
>> > if
>> > this Avast doesn't work, then what? I did what I was told to do to make
>> > this
>> > Windows Mail and Vista work.

>> I use Avast but I didn't install the email part. I've never had a
>> problem
>> (two different machines).
>>
>> Do you get any error message?
>> Can other programs connect?
>> Can you connect if you temporarily uninstall Avast?

catarina_acab@hotmail.com

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
Hey, I have the same problem as Lakota!!!
It doesn't happen with every page on the Internet... Just some... For
example: "It" let's you open youtube, but doesn't let you open
hotmail, or Google... or vice-versa... or other pages... but
sometimes, if I refresh the page multiple times, I can open it!... I
really can't understand!

The thing is, I've installed avast! three days ago, I think, and since
then... It's been happening!... I did it because Panda detected a
virus in Trackmania (my brother installed the game he downloaded from
the internet) and put it in "quarantine" and my mother installed
avast! to see if it did something because something happened and I
can't even open the "quarantine" thing to see the stuff in it...

So, do you think the problem's been happening because of avast!?...
And, if so, do you think that if I uninstall it and install... AVG,
for example, it will stop?

Thanks
KatarinaMP

catarina_acab@hotmail.com

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
by the way... I'm using xp, not vista...
And I'm portuguese, so... Sorry for the mistakes...

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
This newsgroup deals only with Vista Windows Mail issues.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

<catarina_acab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1194898217.437710.145990@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> by the way... I'm using xp, not vista...
> And I'm portuguese, so... Sorry for the mistakes...

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
You should probably post this issue in a newsgroup dealing with
Internet Explorer issues.

I suggest that, as a test, you uninstall all third party security
programs to see if that corrects the problem.
--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

<catarina_acab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1194898110.423826.137850@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Hey, I have the same problem as Lakota!!!
> It doesn't happen with every page on the Internet... Just some... For
> example: "It" let's you open youtube, but doesn't let you open
> hotmail, or Google... or vice-versa... or other pages... but
> sometimes, if I refresh the page multiple times, I can open it!... I
> really can't understand!
>
> The thing is, I've installed avast! three days ago, I think, and since
> then... It's been happening!... I did it because Panda detected a
> virus in Trackmania (my brother installed the game he downloaded from
> the internet) and put it in "quarantine" and my mother installed
> avast! to see if it did something because something happened and I
> can't even open the "quarantine" thing to see the stuff in it...
>
> So, do you think the problem's been happening because of avast!?...
> And, if so, do you think that if I uninstall it and install... AVG,
> for example, it will stop?
>
> Thanks
> KatarinaMP

JackE

Re: Installed avast,cannot connect to internet
This avast problem happened to me also on my son's new computer. When I
uninstalled it, I was able to connect to the internet without any problem.
It's not an IE problem or a connection problem.

The new computer came with a trial version of symantec, which is set to run
automatically on start up. I didn't try disabling it. Do you think that
would solve the problem and allow me to connect to the internet with avast
running?