Recovering deleted email

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhcG5h?=

Recovering deleted email
Accidently I deleted some important email from my deleted folder. Is there a
way to recover the deleted emails.
Thanks
John Inzer

Re: Recovering deleted email
Swapna wrote:
> Accidently I deleted some important
> email from my deleted folder. Is
> there a way to recover the deleted emails.
> Thanks

The following message is about a different
issue but maybe it will give you an idea of
how to find and recover the lost messages.

Found a way to deal with ghost emails...
http://tinyurl.com/2stm5z

--

John Inzer
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Carmine Castiglia

"Swapna" <Swapna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Accidently I deleted some important email from my deleted folder. Is there
> way to recover the deleted emails.
> Thanks

By default, if you click a message header and simply hit the DELete key (or
right-click and select Delete), the message will be moved to the "Deleted
Items" folder where it will remain (again, by default) until you once again
delete it from that folder or use the "Empty 'Deleted Items' folder"
function. Notice I said "by default"...

If you Shift-DELete or hold a Shift key while clicking Delete, the message
will be immediately trashed, bypassing the Deleted Items folder. Also, in
menu -> Tools -> Options -> Advanced tab -> Maintenance button, there is an
option "Empty messages from the 'Deleted Items' folder on exit". Put a
check in that box and Windows Mail will do exactly that.

So - presuming that you are in the default configuration, your accidentally
deleted emails should be sitting in the "Deleted Items" folder. Find them
and simply drag them back into the Inbox folder and you should be all set.
On the other hand, if they are not in Deleted Items, I'm afraid you are out
of luck...

Carmine Castiglia
http://www.infosystemspro.com
PalmOS apps for engineers and machinists

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhcG5h?=

Re: Recovering deleted email
I do see .eml files in my deleted email folder under
C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
However each file is 0 KB and when I drag the .eml file from the deleted
folder back into Window Mail program there is nothing in the body of the text.

I do see approximately 4 MB of data under a file within
C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
called Windows Mail.MSMESSAGESTORE
Does any one know if this folder has my deleted emails and if so how do I go
about opening it.
thanks

>I do see .eml files in my deleted email folder under
> C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
> However each file is 0 KB and when I drag the .eml file from the deleted
> folder back into Window Mail program there is nothing in the body of the
> text.
>
> I do see approximately 4 MB of data under a file within
> C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
> called Windows Mail.MSMESSAGESTORE
> Does any one know if this folder has my deleted emails and if so how do I
> go
> about opening it.
> thanks

Actually, in my previous message, I was referring to the "Deleted Items"
folder which appears (normally) in the left pane of the Windows Mail
application, along with Inbox, Sent Items, etc.

Carmine

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhcG5h?=

Re: Recovering deleted email
The problem started with me deleting the emails in the deleted folder. There
is nothing in the deleted folder of the windows mail application.

"Carmine Castiglia" wrote:

> "Swapna" <Swapna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do see .eml files in my deleted email folder under
> > C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
> > However each file is 0 KB and when I drag the .eml file from the deleted
> > folder back into Window Mail program there is nothing in the body of the
> > text.
> >
> > I do see approximately 4 MB of data under a file within
> > C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
> > called Windows Mail.MSMESSAGESTORE
> > Does any one know if this folder has my deleted emails and if so how do I
> > go
> > about opening it.
> > thanks
> >

> Actually, in my previous message, I was referring to the "Deleted Items"
> folder which appears (normally) in the left pane of the Windows Mail
> application, along with Inbox, Sent Items, etc.
>
> Carmine

Steve Cochran

Re: Recovering deleted email
No. You are out of luck. Once you delete them from the deleted items
folder, then are gone for good and irrecoverable. The MSMessageStore file
is just the database that holds abstracted information about the messages.
There are no messages in that file.

steve

> The problem started with me deleting the emails in the deleted folder.
> There
> is nothing in the deleted folder of the windows mail application.
>
> "Carmine Castiglia" wrote:
>

>> "Swapna" <Swapna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I do see .eml files in my deleted email folder under
>> > C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
>> > However each file is 0 KB and when I drag the .eml file from the
>> > deleted
>> > folder back into Window Mail program there is nothing in the body of
>> > the
>> > text.
>> >
>> > I do see approximately 4 MB of data under a file within
>> > C:\Users\Swapna\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
>> > called Windows Mail.MSMESSAGESTORE
>> > Does any one know if this folder has my deleted emails and if so how do
>> > go
>> > about opening it.
>> > thanks
>> >

>> Actually, in my previous message, I was referring to the "Deleted Items"
>> folder which appears (normally) in the left pane of the Windows Mail
>> application, along with Inbox, Sent Items, etc.
>>
>> Carmine

xani

Re: Recovering deleted email

acsidentaly deleted sent mail

--
xani
Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Re: Recovering deleted email
Anything you delete will go into the Deleted Items folder.
So unless you subsequently emptied the Deleted Items folder, it should
still be there.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com