Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

=?Utf-8?B?S2F0aHk=?=

Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and my
daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created User
Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I go
to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then I
can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!
Steve Cochran

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
See the directions for importing OE messages here:
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm

When you get to the stage to import from OE6, do not choose to import from
an Identity. Choose to import from a directory and then specify the
directory for that Identity (see also www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4).

steve

"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and
>my
> daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created
> User
> Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
> Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I
> go
> to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
> tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then
> can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?S2F0aHk=?=

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
Thank you for your reply but I'm sorry, I'm totally confused. Since this is
a new PC, I'm not importing any of my e-mails from my old PC, I'm just trying
to get both identities to work in Microsoft Mail. My daughter's account is
new.

Kathy

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> See the directions for importing OE messages here:
> www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
>
> When you get to the stage to import from OE6, do not choose to import from
> an Identity. Choose to import from a directory and then specify the
> directory for that Identity (see also www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4).
>
> steve
>
> "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and
> >my
> > daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created
> > User
> > Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
> > Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I
> > go
> > to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
> > tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then
> > can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!

DGuess

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and
>my
> daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created
> User
> Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
> Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I
> go
> to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
> tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then
> can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!

There are no longer Identities used in Windows Mail. The dialog even
mentions this.

To get similar to what you are asking, you have to set up another Windows
account and set up her email account in it.

I do believe there is another alternative forthcoming in the future that is
not a Microsoft product but is a solution.

So for now, both email accounts have to share the same program. You can
however filter her mail to folders other than inbox by using the message
rules.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

> Thank you for your reply but I'm sorry, I'm totally confused. Since this
> is
> a new PC, I'm not importing any of my e-mails from my old PC, I'm just
> trying
> to get both identities to work in Microsoft Mail. My daughter's account
> is
> new.

Open Windows Mail and look at Tools | Accounts. Are both accounts listed
there?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
Im with you on this one Kathy - why is it when you ask for help all you get
is some techy giving you more technical information?! I have the same
problem as you - two email accounts with Tesco.net. Both are showing on the
tools/accounts page but only one is receiving any emails. fingers crossed
we get it sorted eh?

"Kathy" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply but I'm sorry, I'm totally confused. Since this is
> a new PC, I'm not importing any of my e-mails from my old PC, I'm just trying
> to get both identities to work in Microsoft Mail. My daughter's account is
> new.
>
> Kathy
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
> > See the directions for importing OE messages here:
> > www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
> >
> > When you get to the stage to import from OE6, do not choose to import from
> > an Identity. Choose to import from a directory and then specify the
> > directory for that Identity (see also www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4).
> >
> > steve
> >
> > "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and
> > >my
> > > daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created
> > > User
> > > Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
> > > Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I
> > > go
> > > to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
> > > tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then
> > > can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
Windows Mail does not use Identities.
Since you set up your daughter as a separate Vista user, in order
to see her mail you will have to log out of your user account,
and then log in to her user account.
If you did not mean to have separate user accounts, you can
simply create both email accounts under one user. In that
case, you'd want to set up a filter rule in Windows Mail so that
downloaded mail is sorted into separate folders, Yours and Daughter's.

--

Gary VanderMolen

"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11CB22B6-6110-484B-8C30-2EC4DBFBCA7B@microsoft.com...
>I just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and I can't get both mine and my
> daughter's e-mail addresses to be identitied in Windows Mail. I created User
> Accounts for each of us in Vista, created the accounts under Windows
> Mail/Tools but when I click on File and Identities to switch Identities, I go
> to a wizard to import the identities and any of the options that I choose
> tells me that all identities have been either imported or deleted and then I
> can't complete the Wizard. Please help!!!!

Steve Cochran

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
Well, if you are gonna complain, then I'll stop trying to help.

steve

"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im with you on this one Kathy - why is it when you ask for help all you
> get
> is some techy giving you more technical information?! I have the same
> problem as you - two email accounts with Tesco.net. Both are showing on
> the
> tools/accounts page but only one is receiving any emails. fingers
> crossed
> we get it sorted eh?
>
> "Kathy" wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your reply but I'm sorry, I'm totally confused. Since this
>> is
>> a new PC, I'm not importing any of my e-mails from my old PC, I'm just
>> trying
>> to get both identities to work in Microsoft Mail. My daughter's account
>> is
>> new.
>>
>> Kathy
>>
>> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>>
>> > See the directions for importing OE messages here:
>> > www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm
>> >
>> > When you get to the stage to import from OE6, do not choose to import
>> > from
>> > an Identity. Choose to import from a directory and then specify the
>> > directory for that Identity (see also www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4).
>> >
>> > steve

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im with you on this one Kathy - why is it when you ask for help all you
> get
> is some techy giving you more technical information?! I have the same
> problem as you - two email accounts with Tesco.net. Both are showing on
> the
> tools/accounts page but only one is receiving any emails. fingers
> crossed
> we get it sorted eh?

Go to the Properties of each and make sure the box on the first page to
include the account is checked.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

Ang

RE: Identities or Multiple e-mail accounts
I have spent hours trying to figure out how to get beyond the same message
telling me that all identities have been imported or deleted. Reached a
point of total exhaustion. My account is working and second account can send
emails but not receive them. I have looked into every possible way to
resolve this and am face to face with a brick wall............help