What is an SMPT server?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Fernanda

What is an SMPT server?
I'm trying to set up my Windows Vista Mail and its asking me for a POP 3
incoming and outgoing server. What is that please? I use yahoo as my regular
email.
Julian

Re: What is an SMPT server?

"Fernanda" <Fernanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up my Windows Vista Mail and its asking me for a POP 3
> incoming and outgoing server. What is that please? I use yahoo as my
> regular
> email.

In the UK

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:
mail.btinternet.com port: 110

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:
mail.btinternet.com port: 25

Elsewhere consult your local Yahoo web help pages via Google.

Ric Messier

Re: What is an SMPT server?

"Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Fernanda" <Fernanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to set up my Windows Vista Mail and its asking me for a POP 3
>> incoming and outgoing server. What is that please? I use yahoo as my
>> regular
>> email.

Consult:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html

Use pop.mail.yahoo.com for your POP3 (incoming) server and
smtp.mail.yahoo.com for your SMTP (outgoing) server. Yahoo requires some
other settings to work completely correctly so check the page noted above.

Ric

norm

Re: What is an SMPT server?
Ric Messier wrote:

> "Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Fernanda" <Fernanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to set up my Windows Vista Mail and its asking me for a POP 3
>>> incoming and outgoing server. What is that please? I use yahoo as my
>>> regular
>>> email.

> Consult:
> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
>
> Use pop.mail.yahoo.com for your POP3 (incoming) server and
> smtp.mail.yahoo.com for your SMTP (outgoing) server. Yahoo requires some
> other settings to work completely correctly so check the page noted above.
>
> Ric

Doesn't yahoo require a fee to use an email client rather than the web
based email?

--
norm
Gary VanderMolen

Re: What is an SMPT server?
"norm" <noone@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message news:u0LPMUP6HHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Ric Messier wrote:

>> Consult:
>> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
>>
>> Use pop.mail.yahoo.com for your POP3 (incoming) server and smtp.mail.yahoo.com for your SMTP (outgoing) server. Yahoo requires
>> some other settings to work completely correctly so check the page noted above.
>>
>> Ric
>>

> Doesn't yahoo require a fee to use an email client rather than the web based email?

In the US, yes. Due to the OP's use of the web interface, we don't know
where the OP resides, so we should probably cover all bases.
--
Gary VanderMolen

norm

Re: What is an SMPT server?
Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> "norm" <noone@afakeddomain.net> wrote in message news:u0LPMUP6HHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Ric Messier wrote:

>>> Consult:
>>> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html
>>>
>>> Use pop.mail.yahoo.com for your POP3 (incoming) server and smtp.mail.yahoo.com for your SMTP (outgoing) server. Yahoo requires
>>> some other settings to work completely correctly so check the page noted above.
>>>
>>> Ric
>>>

>> Doesn't yahoo require a fee to use an email client rather than the web based email?

> In the US, yes. Due to the OP's use of the web interface, we don't know
> where the OP resides, so we should probably cover all bases.

It looks to have a cost in the uk, so it might be possible that it will
have a cost worldwide:
http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/Ya..._2286-500.html
The op should indeed look at the site mentioned earlier, though.

--
norm