instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop

Kezflake

instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my pc.
As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
whilst watching tv.

For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I need a
licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now my
pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine copy
(promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's / laptops.

Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.

Thanx
Paul Randall

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
Who exactly told you this: "When i ordered it it said it would work on 3
pc's / laptops"? Was it posted on a website? If you have proof, you might
be able to get the vendor to send you another license.

Consumer oriented Microsoft Windows OS packages generally allow installation
on only one computer.

I personally think you may have confused some words you heard or saw that
really applied to some software package other than a Microsoft Windows OS.
Many Symantec packages allow installation on three computers belonging to
one owner. Many Adobe packages and Microsoft Office packages allow
installation on one desktop and one laptop computer belonging to one person.

-Paul Randall

"Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my
>pc.
> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
> whilst watching tv.
>
> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I need
> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now
> my
> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine
> copy
> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's / laptops.
>
> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>
> Thanx

...winston

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
Did you purchases two licenses for use on each machine ?

...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

"Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto
>my pc.
> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to
> game
> whilst watching tv.
>
> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I
> need a
> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think)
> now my
> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a
> genuine copy
> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's /
> laptops.
>
> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>
> Thanx

Michael Solomon

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you purchases two licenses for use on each machine ?
>
> ...winston
> MS-MVP Windows Live Mail
>
> "Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my
>>pc.
>> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
>> whilst watching tv.
>>
>> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I
>> need a
>> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now
>> my
>> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine
>> copy
>> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's /
>> laptops.
>>
>> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>>
>> Thanx

Hey Winston...it appears by your sig, Congrats are in order...

Take Care, good luck.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

Rick Rogers

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
I suspect rather that this was a system builder 3-pack, commonly found on
many sites.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Who exactly told you this: "When i ordered it it said it would work on 3
> pc's / laptops"? Was it posted on a website? If you have proof, you
> might be able to get the vendor to send you another license.
>
> Consumer oriented Microsoft Windows OS packages generally allow
> installation on only one computer.
>
> I personally think you may have confused some words you heard or saw that
> really applied to some software package other than a Microsoft Windows OS.
> Many Symantec packages allow installation on three computers belonging to
> one owner. Many Adobe packages and Microsoft Office packages allow
> installation on one desktop and one laptop computer belonging to one
> person.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my
>>pc.
>> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
>> whilst watching tv.
>>
>> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I
>> need a
>> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now
>> my
>> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine
>> copy
>> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's /
>> laptops.
>>
>> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>>
>> Thanx

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
If you are installing Windows vista on a desktop and a laptop, you
need to purchase two licenses, not one.

Wrong?
You are attempting to install one license on two computers.

"When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's / laptops"
Some Versions of Microsoft Office, but not windows Vista.
Check the site/advertising again, if there is a discrepancy, take it
up to the seller.

Uninstall Windows Vista from one computer and install the original
operating system.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto
>my pc.
> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to
> game
> whilst watching tv.
>
> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying
> I need a
> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I
> think) now my
> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a
> genuine copy
> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's /
> laptops.
>
> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>
> Thanx

...winston

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
Thanks Michael!!

...winston
MS-MVP Windows Live Mail

"Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message >>
> Hey Winston...it appears by your sig, Congrats are in order...
>
> Take Care, good luck.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon
> Backup is a PC user's best friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Bruce Chambers

Kezflake wrote:
> I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my pc.
> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
> whilst watching tv.
>
> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I need a
> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now my
> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine copy
> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's / laptops.
>
> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>
> Thanx

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

If you have Vista Ultimate, it's sometimes possible to qualify for
additional licenses, at a reduced cost:

Windows Vista: Windows Vista Family Discount
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ydiscount.mspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Barnett MVP

Re: instaling on 2 a pc & a laptop
You can only install one copy of the operating system on one computer. If
you have two computers you need two licences.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Kezflake" <Kezflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought my copy of Vista home premeum yesterday and instaled it onto my
>pc.
> As well as a pc I use a laptop for when im not working but want to game
> whilst watching tv.
>
> For some reason it won't let me instal on both :'0( it keeps saying I need
> licence. Both my pc and laptop were running xp (proffesional I think) now
> my
> pc has Vista and my laptop has nothing at all. It's definatly a genuine
> copy
> (promise) and When i ordered it it said it would work on 3 pc's / laptops.
>
> Anyone know what im'm doing wrong? or how to solve the problem.
>
> Thanx

Michael Solomon

> Thanks Michael!!
>
> ...winston
> MS-MVP Windows Live Mail
>
> "Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message >>
>> Hey Winston...it appears by your sig, Congrats are in order...
>>
>> Take Care, good luck.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon
>> Backup is a PC user's best friend