Install Freezes at last step

kxcntry99

Install Freezes at last step
Hello All,

I am really hoping you can help me with this one....

I have a new computer I have built with the following components
Intel 3.0 gig
1 gig ddr2
512 Geforce 7300GT
160 SATA HD

When I built it I bought a copy of win XP pro with a Vista express upgrade.
XP installed correctly but the upgrade has been giving me lots of trouble. It
should be noted that I received and OEM verision of Vista Business with my
express upgrade.

When I go thru the install I wish to do an upgrade, not a full install. I
enter the product key and the install works fine thru the final step,
"Completing Installation". During this step I get to 53% complete when I get
an error from C++ about "oobe" I do not have the exact error but I can get it
if more specifics are needed. Once I get this error I am told that the
install failed and that it is reverting to XP.

Thinking it was a component issue I tried putting it on another computer I
have. On this second computer I have tried both an upgrade and a full
install, I have removed all extra perriferals (zip disk, RAID card,
Soundcard) to bring it to a bland system. Either way I do the install
(upgrade or full) I get all the way thru to the last step again when it
freezes. I know that the install does some checks and that this last step can
take a long time so I have left it frozen overnight. I come back the next
morning and again I am told that the install failed and that XP has been
restored.

Ideas anyone?
Rick Rogers

Re: Install Freezes at last step
Hi,

Have you cleaned the disk?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"kxcntry99" <kxcntry99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I am really hoping you can help me with this one....
>
> I have a new computer I have built with the following components
> Intel 3.0 gig
> 1 gig ddr2
> 512 Geforce 7300GT
> 160 SATA HD
>
> When I built it I bought a copy of win XP pro with a Vista express
> upgrade.
> XP installed correctly but the upgrade has been giving me lots of trouble.
> It
> should be noted that I received and OEM verision of Vista Business with my
> express upgrade.
>
> When I go thru the install I wish to do an upgrade, not a full install. I
> enter the product key and the install works fine thru the final step,
> "Completing Installation". During this step I get to 53% complete when I
> get
> an error from C++ about "oobe" I do not have the exact error but I can get
> it
> if more specifics are needed. Once I get this error I am told that the
> install failed and that it is reverting to XP.
>
> Thinking it was a component issue I tried putting it on another computer I
> have. On this second computer I have tried both an upgrade and a full
> install, I have removed all extra perriferals (zip disk, RAID card,
> Soundcard) to bring it to a bland system. Either way I do the install
> (upgrade or full) I get all the way thru to the last step again when it
> freezes. I know that the install does some checks and that this last step
> can
> take a long time so I have left it frozen overnight. I come back the next
> morning and again I am told that the install failed and that XP has been
> restored.
>
> Ideas anyone?

stevenazyp

Re: Install Freezes at last step
I get the same type error. I finally am using my upgrade to Vista Home
Premium. I go through all the steps and get to "completing install" at 56%,
then it sticks. I waited it out this time, and got a runtime error, clicked
OK, then my screen went black for about 30 secs with a white mouse cursor,
then a restart with the message so fast about reverting that I couldn't
choose (or read) the other option, and now I'm back to XP again. This whole
process takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, so it's pretty frustrating hanging on
the final step.

Any suggestions other than clean the disk??

Thanks,

Steve

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you cleaned the disk?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "kxcntry99" <kxcntry99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am really hoping you can help me with this one....
> >
> > I have a new computer I have built with the following components
> > Intel 3.0 gig
> > 1 gig ddr2
> > 512 Geforce 7300GT
> > 160 SATA HD
> >
> > When I built it I bought a copy of win XP pro with a Vista express
> > upgrade.
> > XP installed correctly but the upgrade has been giving me lots of trouble.
> > It
> > should be noted that I received and OEM verision of Vista Business with my
> > express upgrade.
> >
> > When I go thru the install I wish to do an upgrade, not a full install. I
> > enter the product key and the install works fine thru the final step,
> > "Completing Installation". During this step I get to 53% complete when I
> > get
> > an error from C++ about "oobe" I do not have the exact error but I can get
> > it
> > if more specifics are needed. Once I get this error I am told that the
> > install failed and that it is reverting to XP.
> >
> > Thinking it was a component issue I tried putting it on another computer I
> > have. On this second computer I have tried both an upgrade and a full
> > install, I have removed all extra perriferals (zip disk, RAID card,
> > Soundcard) to bring it to a bland system. Either way I do the install
> > (upgrade or full) I get all the way thru to the last step again when it
> > freezes. I know that the install does some checks and that this last step
> > can
> > take a long time so I have left it frozen overnight. I come back the next
> > morning and again I am told that the install failed and that XP has been
> > restored.
> >
> > Ideas anyone?

Rick Rogers

Re: Install Freezes at last step
Hi,

It may be currently installed video drivers, antivirus software, or
something else - difficult to tell with an upgrade. Uninstalling video
support software and reverting to a standard VGA driver, and completely
removing any installed antivirus software can often help.

--

"stevenazyp" <stevenazyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > it
>> > if more specifics are needed. Once I get this error I am told that the
>> > install failed and that it is reverting to XP.
>> >
>> > Thinking it was a component issue I tried putting it on another
>> > computer I
>> > have. On this second computer I have tried both an upgrade and a full
>> > install, I have removed all extra perriferals (zip disk, RAID card,
>> > Soundcard) to bring it to a bland system. Either way I do the install
>> > (upgrade or full) I get all the way thru to the last step again when it
>> > freezes. I know that the install does some checks and that this last
>> > step
>> > can
>> > take a long time so I have left it frozen overnight. I come back the
>> > next
>> > morning and again I am told that the install failed and that XP has

kxcntry99

Re: Install Freezes at last step
Thanks for the tip Rick but I get the same result on two different clean
DVD's. Since there is nothing else in the computer than a PCI Express vid
card I am thinking there is something with the drivers there. I have already
uninstalled the Anti virus software.

I have read some about making an "F6 boot disk" using the vista drivers for
the vid card. I suppose i will try making this disk as well as removing any
of the video card support software.

Where could I find specific details about making an F6 boot disk with the
drivers I need?