Vista Home Premium crashes during completing insatllation phase.

scott_swalling@hotmail.com

Vista Home Premium crashes during completing insatllation phase.
hi I have recent received a full OEM version of Home Premium. Have
checked both on the manufactuers websites for my devices/third party
software and the MS Ugrade Advisor. everything is compatible and has
drivers available.

I am running and IDE drive which did perform a CHKDSK when starting XP
Pro everytime for the last month. But XP Pro run smoothly once it had
booted and the disk did not display any errors.

Now, I have tried cleanly installing VHP several times after
formatting the drive. During the final phase of install "Completing
Installation" the install fails, blues screens "which I can not
capture" restarts and tells me that is needs to be reinstalled because
it was unsuccessful.

Does anyone know if Vista has an issue with bad sectors on hard drives
as previous versions of MS Windows flag and then ignored the bad
sectors during the install. even during the memory test the machine
crashes and reboots.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers,

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Home Premium crashes during completing insatllation phase.
Hi,

Vista handles bad sectors fairly similarly to the way previous versions did.
However, if you suspect you have them then I would recommend that you
replace the hard drive as the problem is not likely to get better.

Try installing with all unnecessary peripherals disconnected, and, if
possible, memory stripped to a single known-good stick. No overclocking
either. Make sure boot time protection in the system BIOS is disabled as
well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/