COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging

Rizriz

COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging
I have installed my Windows Vista Upgrade and when looking through everything
that was sent to me to upgrade to Vista I noticed a bright red sticker on the
packaging that reads:
"Attention!
The Certification of Authenticity (COA) label is attached to this packaging.
You will be prompted to enter the product key from the COA label when
installing this product. To validate your product, remove the COA label and
affix it to your PC."

The question that I have refers to the last sentence on this label. Do I
really have to remove this label and stick it to me laptop? If so, where do I
put it and why do I have to do this?
--
Rizriz
Rick Rogers

Re: COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging
Hi,

No you don't, but don't lose it either. If you should ever need to reinstall
it, you will need the Product Key on it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rizriz" <Rizriz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed my Windows Vista Upgrade and when looking through
>everything
> that was sent to me to upgrade to Vista I noticed a bright red sticker on
> the
> packaging that reads:
> "Attention!
> The Certification of Authenticity (COA) label is attached to this
> packaging.
> You will be prompted to enter the product key from the COA label when
> installing this product. To validate your product, remove the COA label
> and
> affix it to your PC."
>
> The question that I have refers to the last sentence on this label. Do I
> really have to remove this label and stick it to me laptop? If so, where
> do I
> put it and why do I have to do this?
> --
> Rizriz

Seth

Re: COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging
"Rizriz" <Rizriz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed my Windows Vista Upgrade and when looking through
>everything
> that was sent to me to upgrade to Vista I noticed a bright red sticker on
> the
> packaging that reads:
> "Attention!
> The Certification of Authenticity (COA) label is attached to this
> packaging.
> You will be prompted to enter the product key from the COA label when
> installing this product. To validate your product, remove the COA label
> and
> affix it to your PC."
>
> The question that I have refers to the last sentence on this label. Do I
> really have to remove this label and stick it to me laptop? If so, where
> do I
> put it and why do I have to do this?

If you can manage to not lose it not being stuck to the computer, then by
all means.

Stick it inside the battery compartment. Out of site and won't get messed
up, there if you need it later.

John Barnes

Re: COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging
As Rick said, but if you did an upgrade, I would seriously consider making
an image copy of your system so you never have to reinstall the previous
operating system and go thru the upgrade process again.

"Rizriz" <Rizriz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed my Windows Vista Upgrade and when looking through
>everything
> that was sent to me to upgrade to Vista I noticed a bright red sticker on
> the
> packaging that reads:
> "Attention!
> The Certification of Authenticity (COA) label is attached to this
> packaging.
> You will be prompted to enter the product key from the COA label when
> installing this product. To validate your product, remove the COA label
> and
> affix it to your PC."
>
> The question that I have refers to the last sentence on this label. Do I
> really have to remove this label and stick it to me laptop? If so, where
> do I
> put it and why do I have to do this?
> --
> Rizriz

John Hanley

Re: COA Label on Vista Upgrade Packaging
One thing I do when buying new computer hardware or software: I take a
closeup photo of each of the labels: COA, Product Key, Model Number, Serial
Number, etc, using the macro setting on my digital camera. This includes
the labels on the computer case (some are on the bottom) and also may be on
the shipping box. Then I download those photos onto my computer hard drive
for posterity. It may seem like overkill, but having those labels on a
backup disc saved my bacon at least once in my life.