how to register a software as "trusted" ?

edgardumea

how to register a software as "trusted" ?
Hi !

I use Windows Vista Ultimate and have installed Adobe Photoshop CS3(among
other software of course). It runs smoothly when I launch it from the start
menu, without prompts/whatever.
But, when I right click on a picture and go to "open with..." menu and try
to open it with Photoshop, I get a popup message, saying that an
"unidentified software wants acces to your computer". Clicking "allow",
Photoshop will start up normally, with the desired picture opened.
I'd like to "skip" this popup and open Photoshop & picture automatically. I
suppose this is an UAC thing, but to be honest, I have no idea what to change
there. Additionally, I wouldn't disable such feature, rather "register"
photoshop to be somehow "trusted". Is there anything I can do to fix this ?

Thanks for any tip !
Seth

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
"edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I use Windows Vista Ultimate and have installed Adobe Photoshop CS3(among
> other software of course). It runs smoothly when I launch it from the
> start
> menu, without prompts/whatever.
> But, when I right click on a picture and go to "open with..." menu and try
> to open it with Photoshop, I get a popup message, saying that an
> "unidentified software wants acces to your computer". Clicking "allow",
> Photoshop will start up normally, with the desired picture opened.
> I'd like to "skip" this popup and open Photoshop & picture automatically.
> suppose this is an UAC thing, but to be honest, I have no idea what to
> change
> there. Additionally, I wouldn't disable such feature, rather "register"
> photoshop to be somehow "trusted". Is there anything I can do to fix this
> ?

It's probably not Photoshop that's the issue, but rather the file itself
that you right clicked on.

edgardumea

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
I don't think that's it
The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
publisher(like lol).

"Seth" wrote:

> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi !
> >
> > I use Windows Vista Ultimate and have installed Adobe Photoshop CS3(among
> > other software of course). It runs smoothly when I launch it from the
> > start
> > menu, without prompts/whatever.
> > But, when I right click on a picture and go to "open with..." menu and try
> > to open it with Photoshop, I get a popup message, saying that an
> > "unidentified software wants acces to your computer". Clicking "allow",
> > Photoshop will start up normally, with the desired picture opened.
> > I'd like to "skip" this popup and open Photoshop & picture automatically.
> > suppose this is an UAC thing, but to be honest, I have no idea what to
> > change
> > there. Additionally, I wouldn't disable such feature, rather "register"
> > photoshop to be somehow "trusted". Is there anything I can do to fix this
> > ?

> It's probably not Photoshop that's the issue, but rather the file itself
> that you right clicked on.

dean-dean

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
If you right-click your shortcut to Photoshop, and choose Properties, on the
Compatibility tab, is there a checkmark in the box next to "Run this program
as administrator"? If there is, un-check that, and then click Apply, and
then click OK. If your shortcut doesn't have the Compatibility tab, go to
C:\Program Files\Adobe and find Photoshop.exe, and make the changes by
right-clicking on that file.

>I don't think that's it
> The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
> publisher(like lol).
>
> "Seth" wrote:
>
>> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi !
>> >
>> > I use Windows Vista Ultimate and have installed Adobe Photoshop
>> > CS3(among
>> > other software of course). It runs smoothly when I launch it from the
>> > start
>> > menu, without prompts/whatever.
>> > But, when I right click on a picture and go to "open with..." menu and
>> > try
>> > to open it with Photoshop, I get a popup message, saying that an
>> > "unidentified software wants acces to your computer". Clicking "allow",
>> > Photoshop will start up normally, with the desired picture opened.
>> > I'd like to "skip" this popup and open Photoshop & picture
>> > automatically.
>> > suppose this is an UAC thing, but to be honest, I have no idea what to
>> > change
>> > there. Additionally, I wouldn't disable such feature, rather "register"
>> > photoshop to be somehow "trusted". Is there anything I can do to fix
>> > this
>> > ?

>> It's probably not Photoshop that's the issue, but rather the file itself
>> that you right clicked on.

Paul Smith

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
"edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't think that's it
> The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
> publisher(like lol).

Are these files in one of your user folders or somewhere else on the drive?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

edgardumea

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
@dean-dean: didn't work
@paul: the files are on a separate partition.
I tried opening a jpg from my user folder, but same thing happened.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't think that's it
> > The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
> > publisher(like lol).

> Are these files in one of your user folders or somewhere else on the drive?
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

dean-dean

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
Are these .jpg pictures ones downloaded from the internet? Or were they
extracted form a .zip file that was downloaded from the Internet? If you
right-click on a .jpg picture that causes this warning, and choose
Properties, does it have an Unblock button? If so, click on Unblock, and
then Apply, OK.

> @dean-dean: didn't work
> @paul: the files are on a separate partition.
> I tried opening a jpg from my user folder, but same thing happened.
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
>> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I don't think that's it
>> > The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
>> > publisher(like lol).

>> Are these files in one of your user folders or somewhere else on the
>> drive?
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
>> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
>> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>>
>> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Seth

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
"edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't think that's it
> The popup clearly says that it's Photoshop.exe from an unknown
> publisher(like lol).

Yes, and many text files I've downloaded when I right-click on them say the
same thing only naming notepad.exe as the application. Microsoft is not
known for making their various messages and their meanings clear.

> "Seth" wrote:
>
>> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi !
>> >
>> > I use Windows Vista Ultimate and have installed Adobe Photoshop
>> > CS3(among
>> > other software of course). It runs smoothly when I launch it from the
>> > start
>> > menu, without prompts/whatever.
>> > But, when I right click on a picture and go to "open with..." menu and
>> > try
>> > to open it with Photoshop, I get a popup message, saying that an
>> > "unidentified software wants acces to your computer". Clicking "allow",
>> > Photoshop will start up normally, with the desired picture opened.
>> > I'd like to "skip" this popup and open Photoshop & picture
>> > automatically.
>> > suppose this is an UAC thing, but to be honest, I have no idea what to
>> > change
>> > there. Additionally, I wouldn't disable such feature, rather "register"
>> > photoshop to be somehow "trusted". Is there anything I can do to fix
>> > this
>> > ?

>> It's probably not Photoshop that's the issue, but rather the file itself
>> that you right clicked on.

edgardumea

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
Nope, this kind of popup happens with any kind of picture(downloaded or not -
as a general idea, 99% of them are taken by me)
but regardless this, opening a file the way I try to shouldn't be an
issue...no unlock button, no nothing

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Are these .jpg pictures ones downloaded from the internet? Or were they
> extracted form a .zip file that was downloaded from the Internet? If you
> right-click on a .jpg picture that causes this warning, and choose
> Properties, does it have an Unblock button? If so, click on Unblock, and
> then Apply, OK.
>
> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > @dean-dean: didn't work
> > @paul: the files are on a separate partition.
> > I tried opening a jpg from my user folder, but same thing happened.
> >
> > "Paul Smith" wrote:
> >
> >> "edgardumea" <edgardumea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Are these files in one of your user folders or somewhere else on the
> >> drive?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Paul Smith,
> >> Yeovil, UK.
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> >> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> >> http://www.windowsresource.net/
> >>
> >> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

John

Re: how to register a software as "trusted" ?
Run gpedit.msc and see if you have group policies available to edit. If you
do, go to Computer Config--Windows Settings--Security settings--Local
Policies--Security Options.
At the bottom of the list are the UAC options. I think you may find an
answer in enabling/disabling one of those regarding running software.