Vista upgrade disk or full version?

motosport_21

Vista upgrade disk or full version?
I currently have windows vista home premium that was on the computer when I
bought it from someone on craigslist. Apparently the vista that is currently
on my computer was a copy and locked me out. I now need to buy vista myself,
but I keep seeing the vista upgrade version and the vista full 32bit version.
Which one of these versions do I need to buy so I can install and get my
access back to my computer? I don't want to make the mistake of buying the
upgrade disk and it not working. Although the upgrade is cheaper. Please help
me. Thanks Ryan
John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista upgrade disk or full version?
For peace of mind I would go for the full version rather than an upgrade.
Once you have a full version, if you PC dies and you buy or build another
one the full version can be installed on that. Where upgrades are concerned
you, basically, need an older windows operating system (such as XP) to
upgrade from. When the upgrade is complete XP is no longer any use to you.
You may have the XP CD but, if anything went wrong and you needed to
re-install, you would need to install XP first (something you couldn't do
because your product key would be invalid as you upgraded to Vista) and then
install Vista. So basically, you would need to buy XP again to install the
Vista update.
A full retail version (not OEM) will allow you to re-install without the
hassle. I never buy upgrade software or OEM it is always the full retail
package. Yes it costs more, but it is far less hassle.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"motosport_21" <motosport21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have windows vista home premium that was on the computer when I
> bought it from someone on craigslist. Apparently the vista that is
> currently
> on my computer was a copy and locked me out. I now need to buy vista
> myself,
> but I keep seeing the vista upgrade version and the vista full 32bit
> version.
> Which one of these versions do I need to buy so I can install and get my
> access back to my computer? I don't want to make the mistake of buying the
> upgrade disk and it not working. Although the upgrade is cheaper. Please
> help
> me. Thanks Ryan

Mark

Re: Vista upgrade disk or full version?
Get the upgrade and learn how to perform a clean install with the upgrade
disk.
Better yet, buy the academic version for only $68 (It's the Home Premium
Upgrade disk) and save even more.

More in question is what other software did you get for "free."

Actually, if you bought the computer from someone else and it came
"pre-loaded", you either:
1. Bought the license for all the software on it and the original owner owes
you some serial numbers, or
2. You must format the drive prior to use, then buy a legal copy of the
software you want to install, or
3. Browse for illicit photos and black-mail the original owner to get all
the software you want.