freeze ?

martin

freeze ?
When I try to install Vista it all works fine until the last step when the
computer reboots and then the installation screen says "Finishing
Configuration", the hard disk stops spinning and the DVD too, I get no error
messages and the "Finishing Configuration" seems to be working with its three
black dots flashing. In the end I have to switch off the computer manually as
nothing happens after twenty minutes of the screen staying still.

Any clue how do I solve this?
Jane C

Re: freeze ?
Hello Martin,

Are you upgrading or doing a clean (custom) install? The last stage of an
upgrade can take much longer than 20 minutes.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)

"martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to install Vista it all works fine until the last step when the
> computer reboots and then the installation screen says "Finishing
> Configuration", the hard disk stops spinning and the DVD too, I get no
> error
> messages and the "Finishing Configuration" seems to be working with its
> three
> black dots flashing. In the end I have to switch off the computer manually
> as
> nothing happens after twenty minutes of the screen staying still.
>
> Any clue how do I solve this?

Rick Rogers

Re: freeze ?
Hi Martin,

You may simply need to wait longer. If the dots are flashing, then it is
still doing something. The last stage of Vista setup involves a rather
lengthy performance assessment, and this appears as if the system is doing
nothing.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to install Vista it all works fine until the last step when the
> computer reboots and then the installation screen says "Finishing
> Configuration", the hard disk stops spinning and the DVD too, I get no
> error
> messages and the "Finishing Configuration" seems to be working with its
> three
> black dots flashing. In the end I have to switch off the computer manually
> as
> nothing happens after twenty minutes of the screen staying still.
>
> Any clue how do I solve this?

Richard Urban

Re: freeze ?
If it doesn't finish over night, you have problems. Don't rush it. Upgrades
can take hours.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban