Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
Tom VL
 

Posts: n/a
Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
Hello,

I'm having problems with the Windows Vista installation.
Every time I try to start the installation when my computer's starts the
setup freezes when the loading bar with the green moving blocks come up. When
that happens I reset my computer again and again, and eventually it will come
to a point where it takes me into the installation.

Even then it literally takes 12 minutes to load up the first screen, when
you have to select your language, etc.. and the time in between the next
couple of screens takes that long as well.

When it comes to the point where my installation tells me it's about to
reset the computer, everything happens all over again. It freezes again when
the loading bar comes up (each time it freezes at a random time). Then after
resetting a couple of times it takes me to the completing installation
screen, then it freezes again and so I have to reset a couple of times.

Then it finally takes me into the OS, but tells me I have to reinstall Vista
because something went wrong.

I have tried the following solutions:
-Reburning the dvd at 1x AND 2x speed.
-Tried an OEM edition of Ultimate.
-Installing XP first then installing vista onto another partition.
-Installing XP first then installing vista through the image mounting
solution.
-Installing XP first then installing vista by upgrading.
-Used 2GB of Ram instead of 4GB.

Here are my computer's specifications.
-Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
-MSI P965 NEO-F
- 4 GB DDR2 800
-XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
- 1 Maxtor Sata2 Hard drive (160GB)
- 1 Sata dvd+-r writer
- 630 Watts PSU

Is anyone able to help me please?
Thanks,
Tom.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
Hi Tom--

I'm a little confused. Vista's installation setup is going to reboot a few
times--I don't remember exactly how many but you will see that loading bar
with the green moving blocks come up more than once during setup. Once you
have installed Vista, that loading bar means the kernel has loaded among
other things.

If you're selecting language, etc. you haven't completed the install
obviously.

It tells you to reload the OS because precisely what does it say? It
doesn't just say "something went wrong."

You're always strongly advised to install XP first if you're doing a dual
boot and it seems like that's what you're trying to do. You need to put
Vista on another partition or drive.

I'm sure you've done this but I'd clean the DVD. Knowing the exact setup
error could help us help you.

Good luck,

CH

"Tom VL" <Tom VL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:27376436-A9C0-469C-9A35-28D55967FA3B@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm having problems with the Windows Vista installation.
> Every time I try to start the installation when my computer's starts the
> setup freezes when the loading bar with the green moving blocks come up.
> When
> that happens I reset my computer again and again, and eventually it will
> come
> to a point where it takes me into the installation.
>
> Even then it literally takes 12 minutes to load up the first screen, when
> you have to select your language, etc.. and the time in between the next
> couple of screens takes that long as well.
>
> When it comes to the point where my installation tells me it's about to
> reset the computer, everything happens all over again. It freezes again
> when
> the loading bar comes up (each time it freezes at a random time). Then
> after
> resetting a couple of times it takes me to the completing installation
> screen, then it freezes again and so I have to reset a couple of times.
>
> Then it finally takes me into the OS, but tells me I have to reinstall
> Vista
> because something went wrong.
>
> I have tried the following solutions:
> -Reburning the dvd at 1x AND 2x speed.
> -Tried an OEM edition of Ultimate.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista onto another partition.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista through the image mounting
> solution.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista by upgrading.
> -Used 2GB of Ram instead of 4GB.
>
> Here are my computer's specifications.
> -Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
> -MSI P965 NEO-F
> - 4 GB DDR2 800
> -XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
> - 1 Maxtor Sata2 Hard drive (160GB)
> - 1 Sata dvd+-r writer
> - 630 Watts PSU
>
> Is anyone able to help me please?
> Thanks,
> Tom.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
lysander
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
This is a very long shot but as you are dealing with a PC which I presume has
been in use for some time, I had similar problems some time back. The
culprit astonishingly was a Smartcard reader which I used to permanently
leave plugged into a USB port. Removed that and the loading returned to
normal speed. It used to take literally ten minutes to load between
functions if I left that device attached - but not every time which did not
help diagnosing the cause.

"Tom VL" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having problems with the Windows Vista installation.
> Every time I try to start the installation when my computer's starts the
> setup freezes when the loading bar with the green moving blocks come up. When
> that happens I reset my computer again and again, and eventually it will come
> to a point where it takes me into the installation.
>
> Even then it literally takes 12 minutes to load up the first screen, when
> you have to select your language, etc.. and the time in between the next
> couple of screens takes that long as well.
>
> When it comes to the point where my installation tells me it's about to
> reset the computer, everything happens all over again. It freezes again when
> the loading bar comes up (each time it freezes at a random time). Then after
> resetting a couple of times it takes me to the completing installation
> screen, then it freezes again and so I have to reset a couple of times.
>
> Then it finally takes me into the OS, but tells me I have to reinstall Vista
> because something went wrong.
>
> I have tried the following solutions:
> -Reburning the dvd at 1x AND 2x speed.
> -Tried an OEM edition of Ultimate.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista onto another partition.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista through the image mounting
> solution.
> -Installing XP first then installing vista by upgrading.
> -Used 2GB of Ram instead of 4GB.
>
> Here are my computer's specifications.
> -Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
> -MSI P965 NEO-F
> - 4 GB DDR2 800
> -XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
> - 1 Maxtor Sata2 Hard drive (160GB)
> - 1 Sata dvd+-r writer
> - 630 Watts PSU
>
> Is anyone able to help me please?
> Thanks,
> Tom.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
Tom VL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
Hello again,

Indeed the setup tells me it has to reboot a couple of times.
Then everything happens again, as in the freezing happens again.
The setup does not start over again.

Basically it restarts my pc.
It gets to the part where it loads in the kernel. Freeze, I reset
This time it will either; freeze when it's loading the kernel or freeze when
it says "Please wait while windows is loading for the first time". I reset,
again.
Then it takes me beyond the "Please wait while windows is loading for the
first time" screen again it takes me into Vista, where it tells me the
installation failed and that I should reinstall Vista.

I had no error screens popping up so everything should be alright. I think
it's because of the freezing and resetting that the installation get's
screwed up?

If this is still unclear, I could try to record it with my digital camera
and post a link.

Thanks again,
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
Tom VL
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
Hello,

I have bought my pc 3 days ago to be exact.

Hope that clears that up.
--Tom

"lysander" wrote:

> This is a very long shot but as you are dealing with a PC which I presume has
> been in use for some time, I had similar problems some time back. The
> culprit astonishingly was a Smartcard reader which I used to permanently
> leave plugged into a USB port. Removed that and the loading returned to
> normal speed. It used to take literally ten minutes to load between
> functions if I left that device attached - but not every time which did not
> help diagnosing the cause.
>
> "Tom VL" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having problems with the Windows Vista installation.
> > Every time I try to start the installation when my computer's starts the
> > setup freezes when the loading bar with the green moving blocks come up. When
> > that happens I reset my computer again and again, and eventually it will come
> > to a point where it takes me into the installation.
> >
> > Even then it literally takes 12 minutes to load up the first screen, when
> > you have to select your language, etc.. and the time in between the next
> > couple of screens takes that long as well.
> >
> > When it comes to the point where my installation tells me it's about to
> > reset the computer, everything happens all over again. It freezes again when
> > the loading bar comes up (each time it freezes at a random time). Then after
> > resetting a couple of times it takes me to the completing installation
> > screen, then it freezes again and so I have to reset a couple of times.
> >
> > Then it finally takes me into the OS, but tells me I have to reinstall Vista
> > because something went wrong.
> >
> > I have tried the following solutions:
> > -Reburning the dvd at 1x AND 2x speed.
> > -Tried an OEM edition of Ultimate.
> > -Installing XP first then installing vista onto another partition.
> > -Installing XP first then installing vista through the image mounting
> > solution.
> > -Installing XP first then installing vista by upgrading.
> > -Used 2GB of Ram instead of 4GB.
> >
> > Here are my computer's specifications.
> > -Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
> > -MSI P965 NEO-F
> > - 4 GB DDR2 800
> > -XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
> > - 1 Maxtor Sata2 Hard drive (160GB)
> > - 1 Sata dvd+-r writer
> > - 630 Watts PSU
> >
> > Is anyone able to help me please?
> > Thanks,
> > Tom.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2007
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
Vista doesn't load the kernel. Vista has a new procedure where it lays down
a clean IMAGE of the entire system. You don't say if you are doing an
upgrade from another system or a custom install of a full version and
whether you are trying x86 or x64. When you say freeze, are you getting
anxious or how do you know it is frozen? Vista takes a lot longer to
install than XP and maybe you aren't letting it proceed before you assume it
is frozen. Upgrades can take hours. Custom installs can take up to an hour
+ depending on the speed of the processor and memory.

"Tom VL" <TomVL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:242210DA-3F69-49DB-822A-C35E9FF60897@microsoft.com...
> Hello again,
>
> Indeed the setup tells me it has to reboot a couple of times.
> Then everything happens again, as in the freezing happens again.
> The setup does not start over again.
>
> Basically it restarts my pc.
> It gets to the part where it loads in the kernel. Freeze, I reset
> This time it will either; freeze when it's loading the kernel or freeze
> when
> it says "Please wait while windows is loading for the first time". I
> reset,
> again.
> Then it takes me beyond the "Please wait while windows is loading for the
> first time" screen again it takes me into Vista, where it tells me the
> installation failed and that I should reinstall Vista.
>
> I had no error screens popping up so everything should be alright. I think
> it's because of the freezing and resetting that the installation get's
> screwed up?
>
> If this is still unclear, I could try to record it with my digital camera
> and post a link.
>
> Thanks again,
> Tom


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
John--

My statement was:

"Once you have installed Vista, that loading bar means the kernel has
loaded among
other things." Vista contains Ntoskrnl.exe located in C:\Windows\System32.

CH


"John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
news:OZ5v1$11HHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Vista doesn't load the kernel. Vista has a new procedure where it lays
> down a clean IMAGE of the entire system. You don't say if you are doing
> an upgrade from another system or a custom install of a full version and
> whether you are trying x86 or x64. When you say freeze, are you getting
> anxious or how do you know it is frozen? Vista takes a lot longer to
> install than XP and maybe you aren't letting it proceed before you assume
> it is frozen. Upgrades can take hours. Custom installs can take up to an
> hour + depending on the speed of the processor and memory.
>
> "Tom VL" <TomVL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:242210DA-3F69-49DB-822A-C35E9FF60897@microsoft.com...
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Indeed the setup tells me it has to reboot a couple of times.
>> Then everything happens again, as in the freezing happens again.
>> The setup does not start over again.
>>
>> Basically it restarts my pc.
>> It gets to the part where it loads in the kernel. Freeze, I reset
>> This time it will either; freeze when it's loading the kernel or freeze
>> when
>> it says "Please wait while windows is loading for the first time". I
>> reset,
>> again.
>> Then it takes me beyond the "Please wait while windows is loading for the
>> first time" screen again it takes me into Vista, where it tells me the
>> installation failed and that I should reinstall Vista.
>>
>> I had no error screens popping up so everything should be alright. I
>> think
>> it's because of the freezing and resetting that the installation get's
>> screwed up?
>>
>> If this is still unclear, I could try to record it with my digital camera
>> and post a link.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Tom

>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2007
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installation freeze/ Very weird problem.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 16:24:01 -0700, Tom VL <Tom

>I'm having problems with the Windows Vista installation.
>Every time I try to start the installation when my computer's starts the
>setup freezes when the loading bar with the green moving blocks come up. When
>that happens I reset my computer again and again, and eventually it will come
>to a point where it takes me into the installation.


You sound like someone sawing off their limbs one by one, and
wondering why it hurts. I'd stop trying to run Windows on what is
clearly a sick PC, and re-establish my assumptions from hardware up:
- test RAM, eyeball motherboard capacitors etc.
- test physical HD (NOT USING CHKDSK /R)
- test file system, evacuate data before "fixing"
- formally manage malware
- only then, attempt to run Windows

At this point, you'll realize that Windows is like buying a car that
has the hood welded shut and no spare tyre; works great, but as soon
as it needs maintenance, you find the tool cupboard is bare.

Well, nearly bare; if you have a proper Vista DVD (as opposed to
Dubious Advantage royalty-OEM drekage), you at least have a dangerous
RAM tester and HD "fixer", and some chance of running malware
management tools formally (i.e. without running the infected OS).


To test RAM, you can go to a PC that doesn't suck, download the free
MemTest86, and run that to make a boot CDR. Then go back to the sick
PC and leave that CDR running for, say, 24 hours. After 24 hours, you
will see one of the following:
- RAM errors
- a locked up PC
- test still running, but wall time is < 24 hours due to PC resets
- test still running, wall time is 24 hours as expected, no errors

Only the last result is acceptable, allowing you to do the next step.

As I mentioned, you can also boot the Vista DVD and use that to test
the RAM, but it's a riskier process:
- test writes to HD, runs on next (HD) boot
- test is short, unless you override the defaults for 24 hours
- test results displayed on screen may not be cumulative
- tester writes results to the HD
- to see results, you have to boot the OS to reach Event Viewer

The last thing you want to do when RAM is bad, is access the HD at
all. Read operations can bit-flip to writes, sectors can be written
to the wrong locations, trashing the file system, etc.


To test the HD, I would use HD Tune from www.hdtune.com, which is
free, very thorough (full SMART details, surface scan) and safe (it
doesn't try to "fix" anything, though the HD itself might).

HD Tune is a Windows-based tool, and as we discussed earlier, you do
NOT want to run Windows yet (every Windows session writes to the HD,
and bad exits leave this corrupted even if whatever is wrong with the
PC hasn't already corrupted the HD).

However, if you know someone with Windows XP SP2 or Server 2003, you
can download Bart PE Builder, integrate HD Tune as a plug-in, build a
Bart CDR, boot your sick PC from this, and run HD Tune from there.

Unfortunately, HD Tune will not run from WinPE 2.0 or Vista DVD boot.
I've bugged this to MS, but they won't fix it; I guess they can't see
why we'd want to check HDs without "fixing" them.

So you can look for similar tools, and at this point someone will
mention tools from the HD vendor. These tools may be safe, in that
they may run from CDR boot, but they may also be skimpy. Suspect this
if the "full" test takes only a few minutes to run - you may find they
merely report the SMART summary, which is nearly always "OK" until the
HD is not only dying, but has multiple bits rotting off.

Last, there's ChkDsk /R, which will scan the surface of the HD and
"fix" bad clusters, having first "fixed" the file system on the "sick
HD that it hasn't tested yet. Wrong priorities; test the physical
first, ABORT without "fixing", evacuate contents, and only then you
can pretend to "fix" what is physically broken, just for laffs.

>Even then it literally takes 12 minutes to load up the first screen, when
>you have to select your language, etc.. and the time in between the next
>couple of screens takes that long as well.


Nature's trying to tell you something. Listen up ;-)

>Then it finally takes me into the OS, but tells me I have to reinstall Vista
>because something went wrong.


DON'T do that either.

<destructive crater-digging snipped>

>Here are my computer's specifications.
>-Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
>-MSI P965 NEO-F
>- 4 GB DDR2 800
>-XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
>- 1 Maxtor Sata2 Hard drive (160GB)
>- 1 Sata dvd+-r writer
>- 630 Watts PSU


>Is anyone able to help me please?


As above. Looks like new hardware, which could be on the steep part
of the failure curve (as in, "defective manufacture, not caught by
pre-sale testing"). Err... are you overclocking?

Nice kit, tho. Are you on Vista64 or Vista32? I ask, due to the 4G
RAM that wouldn't be fully addressable by Vista32. I'd prolly rather
go with Vista32 and less RAM, myself.

Shame about the piddly little Maxtor... is that carried over from a
previous PC, or do you really have an application that needs heroic
processor and RAM and never touches the HD, so the small cost of
doubling capacity and halving head travel is not worthwhile?



>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Who is General Failure and
why is he reading my disk?
>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Problem nishant microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 9 06-30-2007 03:01
Installation Freeze goforthd microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-08-2007 20:27
weird internet problem!! =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0aWFuIEZyYW5rZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 9 03-28-2007 01:54
Vista Installation freeze up issue a major problem for Microsoft.. =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIENBVA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 03-05-2007 22:30
Vista Installation Freeze =?Utf-8?B?U3Bhcmt5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 02-03-2007 16:53




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:46.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120