Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first

Kev

Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
Hi,
I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems mean
that i may need to set up dual boot.

I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.

I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive and
have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.

I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with XP
first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
having to repair vista.

So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive and
XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which one
i want to use on that login?

My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )

Any advice or help would be appreciated

-Kev

Paul Randall

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first

"Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
> mean
> that i may need to set up dual boot.
>
> I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
>
> I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
> and
> have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
>
> I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
> XP
> first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
> having to repair vista.
>
> So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
> and
> XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
> one
> i want to use on that login?
>
> My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
> fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
>
> Any advice or help would be appreciated

I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar procedure.
Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows selecting which drive
to boot from.

I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
separate so that both system's recovery stores work.

-Paul Randall

Carl F

Paul Randall wrote:
> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
>> mean
>> that i may need to set up dual boot.
>>
>> I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
>>
>> I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
>> and
>> have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
>>
>> I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
>> XP
>> first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
>> having to repair vista.
>>
>> So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
>> and
>> XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
>> one
>> i want to use on that login?
>>
>> My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
>> fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
>>
>> Any advice or help would be appreciated

> I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
> With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
> setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
> second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
> letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
> installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar procedure.
> Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows selecting which drive
> to boot from.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
> separate so that both system's recovery stores work.
>
> -Paul Randall

I have XP 64 bit on C: and Vista Ultimate 64 bit on V:
The system has been working well for 4 months
See http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-changelog.php
for an easy way to set the startup choices

"Carl F" <carlf@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Paul Randall wrote:
>> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
>>> mean
>>> that i may need to set up dual boot.
>>>
>>> I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
>>>
>>> I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
>>> and
>>> have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
>>>
>>> I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
>>> XP
>>> first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
>>> having to repair vista.
>>>
>>> So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
>>> and
>>> XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
>>> one
>>> i want to use on that login?
>>>
>>> My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will
>>> be
>>> fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
>>>
>>> Any advice or help would be appreciated

>> I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
>> With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
>> setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
>> second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
>> letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
>> installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar
>> procedure. Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows
>> selecting which drive to boot from.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
>> separate so that both system's recovery stores work.
>>
>> -Paul Randall

> I have XP 64 bit on C: and Vista Ultimate 64 bit on V:
> The system has been working well for 4 months
> See http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-changelog.php
> for an easy way to set the startup choices
> Carl F

Does WXP wipe out Vista's restore points?

-Paul Randall

Carl F

Paul Randall wrote:
> "Carl F" <carlf@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Paul Randall wrote:
>>> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
>>> With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
>>> setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
>>> second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
>>> letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
>>> installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar
>>> procedure. Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows
>>> selecting which drive to boot from.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
>>> separate so that both system's recovery stores work.
>>>
>>> -Paul Randall

>> I have XP 64 bit on C: and Vista Ultimate 64 bit on V:
>> The system has been working well for 4 months
>> See http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-changelog.php
>> for an easy way to set the startup choices
>> Carl F

> Does WXP wipe out Vista's restore points?
>
> -Paul Randall

I do not use restore points. I do frequent complete
multiple partition backups to a network drive and an internal second
hard drive (belt and suspenders).
I read that the restore points get removed.

Carl F
Kev

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
So ho do i make vista 'not see' the second hard drive, and for that matter
not let XP see my vista drive?

-kev

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
> > mean
> > that i may need to set up dual boot.
> >
> > I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
> >
> > I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
> > and
> > have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
> >
> > I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
> > XP
> > first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
> > having to repair vista.
> >
> > So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
> > and
> > XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
> > one
> > i want to use on that login?
> >
> > My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
> > fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
> >
> > Any advice or help would be appreciated

> I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
> With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
> setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
> second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
> letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
> installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar procedure.
> Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows selecting which drive
> to boot from.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
> separate so that both system's recovery stores work.
>
> -Paul Randall

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
Attach your new second drive, set the BIOS so that it is first in boot
priority. Install XP. Reset the BIOS to have your Vista drive as first in
boot priority. Download and install EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and then add a
legacy system to the boot process, pointing to your XP system. Reboot and
try the legacy system. If it doesn't work, copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and
boot.ini files to the Vista drive. Change the boot.ini file to point xp to
the proper drive

"Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
> mean
> that i may need to set up dual boot.
>
> I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
>
> I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
> and
> have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
>
> I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
> XP
> first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
> having to repair vista.
>
> So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
> and
> XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
> one
> i want to use on that login?
>
> My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
> fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
>
> Any advice or help would be appreciated
>

> -Kev

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
You need a third party boot manager.

> So ho do i make vista 'not see' the second hard drive, and for that matter
> not let XP see my vista drive?
>
> -kev
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>

>> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
>> > mean
>> > that i may need to set up dual boot.
>> >
>> > I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
>> >
>> > I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
>> > and
>> > have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right
>> > now.
>> >
>> > I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots
>> > with
>> > XP
>> > first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
>> > having to repair vista.
>> >
>> > So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
>> > and
>> > XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose
>> > which
>> > one
>> > i want to use on that login?
>> >
>> > My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will
>> > be
>> > fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
>> >
>> > Any advice or help would be appreciated

>> I haven't tried this, but perhaps it would work.
>> With only one drive connected, install Vista. After doing your typical
>> setup configuration of first boot-up as a user, shutdown and connect the
>> second drive. On startup, as soon as you have control, remove the drive
>> letter from the second drive, so your Vista only sees the drive it is
>> installed on. Install WXP on the second drive, using a similar
>> procedure.
>> Each time at boot up, hit the function key that allows selecting which
>> drive
>> to boot from.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing if this actually works and keeps the systems
>> separate so that both system's recovery stores work.
>>
>> -Paul Randall

Kev

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
Ok, i just descovered something:

in the advanced system menu, go to start up and recovery. in there there
are some settings that imply that vista can control which os i use.

eg Default operating system
and time to display list of OS's

so what does this mean, that it is as simple as i think (just instal XP on
second hard drive and make sure vista is primary boot) or is it still gonna
be complicated?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Attach your new second drive, set the BIOS so that it is first in boot
> priority. Install XP. Reset the BIOS to have your Vista drive as first in
> boot priority. Download and install EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and then add a
> legacy system to the boot process, pointing to your XP system. Reboot and
> try the legacy system. If it doesn't work, copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and
> boot.ini files to the Vista drive. Change the boot.ini file to point xp to
> the proper drive
>
> "Kev" <Kev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I am a keen gamer and although i love vista the compatability problems
> > mean
> > that i may need to set up dual boot.
> >
> > I have Vista home premium 64bit on my C drive right now.
> >
> > I plan to get another drive, get XP 64bit, instal it on that hard drive
> > and
> > have a dual boot sytem to allow me to play games i can't play right now.
> >
> > I have tried reading up but most of the info talks about dual boots with
> > XP
> > first or on partitions rather than seperate hard drives and talks about
> > having to repair vista.
> >
> > So my question is: how would i set up my pc to have Vista on one drive
> > and
> > XP on the other and essentialy just have a start up menu to choose which
> > one
> > i want to use on that login?
> >
> > My logic states just instal on seperate hard drives and all things will be
> > fine, but reading up it seems not the case, so basicaly HELP! )
> >
> > Any advice or help would be appreciated
> >

> > -Kev

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot, 2 hard drives vista first
If you install XP with Vista as your first drive in boot priority, you will
overwrite the Vista boot with the XP boot and you won't be able to boot
Vista. You can correct this later with a Startup repair using the Vista
install DVD, you may need to run it up to 4 times before it works. Your
choice of my original recommendation or this one.