Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?

Paine

Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?
Say I buy a new computer, or replace the motherboard of this one. Will my
product key not be good anymore? Am I expected to buy a new copy of Windows
if I get a new computer, or can I verify my identity as a previous customer
somehow?
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?
If Windows is retail, you can move to another computer/reinstall all
you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time.
If Windows is OEM, you may have problems if the new motherboard if
from a different model of computer.

If you post details on exactly what type of Windows you have, someone
can give you a more precise answer.

Also, read your specific license agreement for details.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Paine" <Paine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Say I buy a new computer, or replace the motherboard of this one.
> Will my
> product key not be good anymore? Am I expected to buy a new copy of
> Windows
> if I get a new computer, or can I verify my identity as a previous
> customer
> somehow?

f/fgeorge

Re: Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:04:00 -0700, Paine
<Paine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Say I buy a new computer, or replace the motherboard of this one. Will my
>product key not be good anymore? Am I expected to buy a new copy of Windows
>if I get a new computer, or can I verify my identity as a previous customer
>somehow?

The version o Windows that comes with a new pc is for that pc ONLY, it
is not transferrable. Now that being said it does work SOMETIMES, not
always though!
Bruce Chambers

Paine wrote:
> Say I buy a new computer, or replace the motherboard of this one. Will my
> product key not be good anymore? Am I expected to buy a new copy of Windows
> if I get a new computer, or can I verify my identity as a previous customer
> somehow?

It depends entirely upon the sopecific type of Windows license you
purchased.

If you purchased the more expensive, but transferable retail license,
than you can transfer it to new computers as often as you like, so long
as it is installed only upon one computer at any given time.

If you purchased a much cheaper OEM license, such as come pre-installed
on many computers from the factory, however, you may not legitimately
transfer it to any other computer, under any circumstances. It's a
simple case of "getting what you pay for."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Paine

Re: Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?
I have a retail (I think) copy of Vista Business that I got through the Power
Together promotion.

So then, how do I uninstall Vista from this machine in preparation for
installing it on my new one? There doesn't seem to be an uninstall
option...do I just format the hard drive?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can I take my copy of Windows to my new computer?
Paine

Yes, just format the hard drive in the old system. Make sure you have backed
up all of your personal files first.

If there is a doubt about whether you have a retail or OEM copy of Vista,
you will know soon enough when you install and activate on the new system.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP