I want to uninstall Vista but only have xp upgrade disk

Robin

I want to uninstall Vista but only have xp upgrade disk
After severla months of struggling to geet Vista not to block my network,
keep putting my printer offline, refuse to recognize half my peripherals
etc.. (all the usual reasons), I want to go back to XP, which worked fine.

The problem is, I read on the support site that you can only go back if you
have a clean install XP CD. However, my PC came with Windows ME (I think),
and I upgraded to XP via an upgrade disk.

Because it proved to be such a beast to load, I got my local computer expert
to load Vista, I do have the windows.old folder.

I thought I'd ask others before I stat messing with it - can any body advise?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: I want to uninstall Vista but only have xp upgrade disk
You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
and perform a "clean install".

"Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news38CD0F2-CBBD-4839-83E7-47AAC53C9192@microsoft.com...
> After severla months of struggling to geet Vista not to block my network,
> keep putting my printer offline, refuse to recognize half my peripherals
> etc.. (all the usual reasons), I want to go back to XP, which worked fine.
>
> The problem is, I read on the support site that you can only go back if
> you
> have a clean install XP CD. However, my PC came with Windows ME (I think),
> and I upgraded to XP via an upgrade disk.
>
> Because it proved to be such a beast to load, I got my local computer
> expert
> to load Vista, I do have the windows.old folder.
>
> I thought I'd ask others before I stat messing with it - can any body
> advise?

Paul Randall

Re: I want to uninstall Vista but only have xp upgrade disk

"Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news38CD0F2-CBBD-4839-83E7-47AAC53C9192@microsoft.com...
> After severla months of struggling to geet Vista not to block my network,
> keep putting my printer offline, refuse to recognize half my peripherals
> etc.. (all the usual reasons), I want to go back to XP, which worked fine.
>
> The problem is, I read on the support site that you can only go back if
> you
> have a clean install XP CD. However, my PC came with Windows ME (I think),
> and I upgraded to XP via an upgrade disk.
>
> Because it proved to be such a beast to load, I got my local computer
> expert
> to load Vista, I do have the windows.old folder.
>
> I thought I'd ask others before I stat messing with it - can any body
> advise?

Now you see why upgrades are cheaper -- sooner or later they can cost you a
bunch of time.

You can try a clean install of using your upgrade Vista DVD:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

Some say that Microsoft may now not allow activation, or may in the future
deactivate your system if it this process is used. I have not seen any
confirmation that activation is thwarted.

-Paul Randall

Bruce Chambers

Robin wrote:
> After severla months of struggling to geet Vista not to block my network,
> keep putting my printer offline, refuse to recognize half my peripherals
> etc.. (all the usual reasons), I want to go back to XP, which worked fine.
>
> The problem is, I read on the support site that you can only go back if you
> have a clean install XP CD. However, my PC came with Windows ME (I think),
> and I upgraded to XP via an upgrade disk.
>
> Because it proved to be such a beast to load, I got my local computer expert
> to load Vista, I do have the windows.old folder.
>
> I thought I'd ask others before I stat messing with it - can any body advise?

The presence of a "Windows.Old" folder indicates that the computer was
upgraded from WinXP to Vista. If this was truly the case:

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you
install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

--

Bruce Chambers