Can XP filesystem read Vista files?

cozzmo1@hotmail.com

Can XP filesystem read Vista files?
I have decided to give up on Vista and am about to put XP back on.
(due to instability and incompatibilities).

I will add a new Hard-drive, The new HD will serve as my XP master
drive,
and I plan to use my old Vista HD as my slave.
then delete all the old Vista stuff ets on the slave, and just use the
slave for all my user files.
!
Questions:
Will the files that I created under the Vista system be visible to XP?
Also, I have a very new system with a duo-core intel chip, does XP
have any problems or issues with that?

thanks,
Crzzy1.
I hate it that Microsoft is making a mint on this inferior product!!

peter

Re: Can XP filesystem read Vista files?
The files you created under Vista will be visible to XP...........have a
system with core2duo running XP perfectly fine.
Suggest when you install new HD for XP installation you do not hook up the
Vista drive till after XP is installed and running.
peter
<cozzmo1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1186141448.059234.266920@b79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
>I have decided to give up on Vista and am about to put XP back on.
> (due to instability and incompatibilities).
>
> I will add a new Hard-drive, The new HD will serve as my XP master
> drive,
> and I plan to use my old Vista HD as my slave.
> then delete all the old Vista stuff ets on the slave, and just use the
> slave for all my user files.
> !
> Questions:
> Will the files that I created under the Vista system be visible to XP?
> Also, I have a very new system with a duo-core intel chip, does XP
> have any problems or issues with that?
>
> thanks,
> Crzzy1.
> I hate it that Microsoft is making a mint on this inferior product!!

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Can XP filesystem read Vista files?
Anything you have created in an application should still work as long as
their is a corresponding application installed in XP that can handle the
file type..

Vista works for many people, and while it does have issues in these early
stages, it is no more an inferior product than XP was in the beginning..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 07:49:22 -0600, "peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote:

>The files you created under Vista will be visible to XP...........have a
>system with core2duo running XP perfectly fine.

Caveat: As long as you didn'y use Bitlocker.

>Suggest when you install new HD for XP installation you do not hook up the
>Vista drive till after XP is installed and running.

Amen! With NT OSs, it's best to have no other HDs or storage devices
(other than optical drives) present at install time. Else what can go
wrong, is that the letter C: may be assigned to the wrong drive and
your HD OS primary partition will be something other than C:.

Even that is cosmetic rather than a car crash, it's also something
that can't be fixed other than by wiping and re-installing the OS.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

cozzmo1@hotmail.com

Re: Can XP filesystem read Vista files?
Thank you everyone.
I have an update.

What started my on this path was that I was starting to get a lot of
application errors and occasional blue screen (BSOD).
these have been getting progressivly worse until recently when the PC
would only run for a few minutes or fail to start.
then we started to get driver failures, apps would just stop
responding. other times it would be ok for a few hours.
I thought maybe the HD was the culprit, but had too much data to just
blow it away. chkdsk didn't show any bad sectors.

I put in a new Hard drive. (after going to 4 stores that all did bait
and switch advertising)!!
at finding that XP-Home still goes for $200.00 I decided I would give
Vista another try. (Can't keep feeding the MS giant)

After reinstalling Vista on the brand new drive I notice the programs
menu was spelled "al lpr gra ms"
and I was getting all these errors that drivers could not be found and
then another blue screen. saying "windows/system32/drivers/wdf.sys"

Then I finally figured it out. Yeah!!!! (completely fixed)
So now I will still say that Vista is incompatible, but now Unstable.
it was something else..

Just for fun, Can anyone guess what my problem was?
I will let you all know in a day or two what the answer is.

Thanks,
crzzy1

cozzmo1@hotmail.com

On Aug 5, 7:59 pm, cozz...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thank you everyone.
> I have an update.
>
> What started my on this path was that I was starting to get a lot of
> application errors and occasional blue screen (BSOD).
> these have been getting progressivly worse until recently when the PC
> would only run for a few minutes or fail to start.
> then we started to get driver failures, apps would just stop
> responding. other times it would be ok for a few hours.
> I thought maybe the HD was the culprit, but had too much data to just
> blow it away. chkdsk didn't show any bad sectors.
>
> I put in a new Hard drive. (after going to 4 stores that all did bait
> and switch advertising)!!
> at finding that XP-Home still goes for $200.00 I decided I would give
> Vista another try. (Can't keep feeding the MS giant)
>
> After reinstalling Vista on the brand new drive I notice the programs
> menu was spelled "al lpr gra ms"
> and I was getting all these errors that drivers could not be found and
> then another blue screen. saying "windows/system32/drivers/wdf.sys"
>
> Then I finally figured it out. Yeah!!!! (completely fixed)
> So now I will still say that Vista is incompatible, but now Unstable.
> it was something else..
>
> Just for fun, Can anyone guess what my problem was?
> I will let you all know in a day or two what the answer is.

--------------
Solution:

I can see the tension is killing you all.
The only things left after all of the above seems to be either a
MotherBoard or RAM.
After swapping my 2 one-gig RAM chips around systematically, I found
that one of the 2 chips was defective.
first swapping the ports NG, then trying one ( now the PC would boot
to total blue screen), then the good chip only which worked perfectly.
Strangest thing though. I can see how that would cause a blue screen,
but not how it would keep drivers from loading and strange spelling
errors under the start menue etc. Also, I never saw RAM simply go bad
before, I wonder what caused it..
anyway after taking out the defective RAM chip all worked perfectly
again!!
Now I have 2 big Hard drives and more space than I need.

Thanks for your support.
crzzy1