How do you change vista default boot drive.

Warzer

How do you change vista default boot drive.
during setup windows descided it would boot from d drive instead of my C
drive. it installed the os to the c drive but when i remove the d drive the
system fails to boot. it would appear that vista keeps putting the boot
files on a drive i dont want them to be on. How do i change the drive that
vista boots from? would like to know how after vista is installed and before
for future builds.

Warzer
peter

Re: How do you change vista default boot drive.
Remove the D drive...........do a Vista Boot repair
Repairing your computer: To repair your computer using Startup Repair follow
these steps:

Boot into Vista installation DVD
Choose your language settings and click Next
Click Repair your computer
Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
Recovery Options.
Click on Startup Repair
Startup Repair should now start diagnosing your system to identify the root
cause of the failure. Once it has identified the root cause, it would
automatically start repairing your computer. If you are curious to know what
Startup Repair did, you can click on the details link and see which tests
Startup Repair ran to diagnose the problem.

After Startup Repair has finished the repairs, click Finish to reboot your
computer.

Your computer should now be able to boot normally into Vista!!

peter
"Warzer" <Warzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> during setup windows descided it would boot from d drive instead of my C
> drive. it installed the os to the c drive but when i remove the d drive
> the
> system fails to boot. it would appear that vista keeps putting the boot
> files on a drive i dont want them to be on. How do i change the drive
> that
> vista boots from? would like to know how after vista is installed and
> before
> for future builds.
>
> Warzer

Warzer

Re: How do you change vista default boot drive.
ok, if i do this, is there a way to prevent it from choosing another drive
besides c from being the boot drive? does it just randomly choose something
to boot from? this box has 3 seperate raid arrays. there must be a way to
force windows to use certian drives with out removing all but 1 drive.

"peter" wrote:

> Remove the D drive...........do a Vista Boot repair
> Repairing your computer: To repair your computer using Startup Repair follow
> these steps:
>
> Boot into Vista installation DVD
> Choose your language settings and click Next
> Click Repair your computer
> Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
> Recovery Options.
> Click on Startup Repair
> Startup Repair should now start diagnosing your system to identify the root
> cause of the failure. Once it has identified the root cause, it would
> automatically start repairing your computer. If you are curious to know what
> Startup Repair did, you can click on the details link and see which tests
> Startup Repair ran to diagnose the problem.
>
> After Startup Repair has finished the repairs, click Finish to reboot your
> computer.
>
> Your computer should now be able to boot normally into Vista!!
>
> peter
> "Warzer" <Warzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > during setup windows descided it would boot from d drive instead of my C
> > drive. it installed the os to the c drive but when i remove the d drive
> > the
> > system fails to boot. it would appear that vista keeps putting the boot
> > files on a drive i dont want them to be on. How do i change the drive
> > that
> > vista boots from? would like to know how after vista is installed and
> > before
> > for future builds.
> >
> > Warzer

andy

Re: How do you change vista default boot drive.
BIOS setup has a setting (typically, Hard Disk Boot Priority or Hard
Disk Drives) that allows ordering of hard disks. You move the disk
that you want the BIOS to boot from to the top of this list. The BIOS
is supposed to enumerate the hard disk drives according to the list.
This allows Windows setup to identify which is the first disk, and the
active primary partition on this disk is where Windows setup stores
the boot files, making it the Windows system partition.

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:08:00 -0700, Warzer
<Warzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ok, if i do this, is there a way to prevent it from choosing another drive
>besides c from being the boot drive? does it just randomly choose something
>to boot from? this box has 3 seperate raid arrays. there must be a way to
>force windows to use certian drives with out removing all but 1 drive.
>
>"peter" wrote:
>
>> Remove the D drive...........do a Vista Boot repair
>> Repairing your computer: To repair your computer using Startup Repair follow
>> these steps:
>>
>> Boot into Vista installation DVD
>> Choose your language settings and click Next
>> Click Repair your computer
>> Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
>> Recovery Options.
>> Click on Startup Repair
>> Startup Repair should now start diagnosing your system to identify the root
>> cause of the failure. Once it has identified the root cause, it would
>> automatically start repairing your computer. If you are curious to know what
>> Startup Repair did, you can click on the details link and see which tests
>> Startup Repair ran to diagnose the problem.
>>
>> After Startup Repair has finished the repairs, click Finish to reboot your
>> computer.
>>
>> Your computer should now be able to boot normally into Vista!!
>>
>> peter
>> "Warzer" <Warzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > during setup windows descided it would boot from d drive instead of my C
>> > drive. it installed the os to the c drive but when i remove the d drive
>> > the
>> > system fails to boot. it would appear that vista keeps putting the boot
>> > files on a drive i dont want them to be on. How do i change the drive
>> > that
>> > vista boots from? would like to know how after vista is installed and
>> > before
>> > for future builds.
>> >
>> > Warzer

peter

Re: How do you change vista default boot drive.
Now you mention RAID !!!
are C and D the same Raid Array??
How is your Raid setup?? stripped or what??
> ok, if i do this, is there a way to prevent it from choosing another drive
> besides c from being the boot drive? does it just randomly choose
> something
> to boot from? this box has 3 seperate raid arrays. there must be a way
> force windows to use certian drives with out removing all but 1 drive.
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Remove the D drive...........do a Vista Boot repair
>> Repairing your computer: To repair your computer using Startup Repair
>> follow
>> these steps:
>>
>> Boot into Vista installation DVD
>> Choose your language settings and click Next
>> Click Repair your computer
>> Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
>> Recovery Options.
>> Click on Startup Repair
>> Startup Repair should now start diagnosing your system to identify the
>> root
>> cause of the failure. Once it has identified the root cause, it would
>> automatically start repairing your computer. If you are curious to know
>> what
>> Startup Repair did, you can click on the details link and see which tests
>> Startup Repair ran to diagnose the problem.
>>
>> After Startup Repair has finished the repairs, click Finish to reboot
>> your
>> computer.
>>
>> Your computer should now be able to boot normally into Vista!!
>>
>> peter
>> "Warzer" <Warzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > during setup windows descided it would boot from d drive instead of my
>> > drive. it installed the os to the c drive but when i remove the d
>> > drive
>> > the
>> > system fails to boot. it would appear that vista keeps putting the
>> > boot
>> > files on a drive i dont want them to be on. How do i change the drive
>> > that
>> > vista boots from? would like to know how after vista is installed and
>> > before
>> > for future builds.
>> >
>> > Warzer

Warzer

Re: How do you change vista default boot drive.
its a df lanparty mb, with and hardware raid card in a pci-express slot. NF4.
c is a raid 0 of 2 drves. it is set and has been set to be first boot
device. the 2nd raid is 4disks on the hardware card, at drive e currently
but doesnt' matter where it ends up. the raid 0 is split into 2 parttions
30g primary and 400+secondary. I have to use nvidias sata ide drivers for it
to be detected by windows. same with the hardwae raid if i wished to have
windows installed on it.