Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco

Recondodan

Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco
Hi all,

I just plopped @$250 for the Vista Ultimate, expecting a polished GUI,
fairly decent driver-support, and some gee-whiz eye candy. However, I cannot
even get the 64-bit version to install. Longhorn here has been in
development for YEARS, and it won't even install! Replacing my tried but
true XP operating system is not going to be a reality, anytime soon, I
guess. The machine is bleeding edge, so it is not the hardware.

To add insult to injury, in my opinion Office 2007 is inferior to the 2003
release.

Bill Gates and his crew should be ashamed of themselves for turning out this
garbage...That is why people are going to become mac "converts" or switch to
linux.

Again, I am very disappointed, and I am going to return this turd of an OS
for a refund.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get this turd to work, then great-but I
am not disconnecting drives, or swapping ram modules, or chanting, or, or, or.

This damn thing should work first time, every time. Shame on you Microsoft.
abejoe

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco

Recondodan;407982 Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just plopped @$250 for the Vista Ultimate, expecting a polished GUI,
> fairly decent driver-support, and some gee-whiz eye candy. However, I
> cannot
> even get the 64-bit version to install. Longhorn here has been in
> development for YEARS, and it won't even install!

Yups.. same here.. never succeed to install Vista x64

--
abejoe
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco
If you post details of exactly what happens along with the error
messages, someone may be able to help.

Have you verified all your hardware is Windows Vista 64 bit
compatible?
It is not uncommon for an updated BIOS to be necessary.
Quite often hardware is shown as Windows Vista compatible but it will
not work with 64 bit.
The 64 bit version is more problematic as there are fewer drivers
available.

Do not assume newer hardware is windows Vista compatible, sometimes it
is not.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Recondodan" <Recondodan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just plopped @$250 for the Vista Ultimate, expecting a polished
> GUI,
> fairly decent driver-support, and some gee-whiz eye candy. However,
> I cannot
> even get the 64-bit version to install. Longhorn here has been in
> development for YEARS, and it won't even install! Replacing my
> tried but
> true XP operating system is not going to be a reality, anytime
> soon, I
> guess. The machine is bleeding edge, so it is not the hardware.
>
> To add insult to injury, in my opinion Office 2007 is inferior to
> the 2003
> release.
>
> Bill Gates and his crew should be ashamed of themselves for turning
> out this
> garbage...That is why people are going to become mac "converts" or
> switch to
> linux.
>
> Again, I am very disappointed, and I am going to return this turd of
> an OS
> for a refund.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion on how to get this turd to work, then
> great-but I
> am not disconnecting drives, or swapping ram modules, or chanting,
> or, or, or.
>
> This damn thing should work first time, every time. Shame on you
> Microsoft.

Warzer

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco
sadly this is true, 1 tried 64 in beta and it seems most companies aren't
willing to go 64bit yet. not sure why. at least the 32bit driver support
has drastically improved since vista was released, but it still has a long
way to go when compared to windowsxp. since this is not a mac, and ms
doesn't own or make all the hardware used in ibm compatable pcs, its up to
the hardware vendors to make drivers to support vista. if i remember win2000
has some hard growing pains also.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> If you post details of exactly what happens along with the error
> messages, someone may be able to help.
>
> Have you verified all your hardware is Windows Vista 64 bit
> compatible?
> It is not uncommon for an updated BIOS to be necessary.
> Quite often hardware is shown as Windows Vista compatible but it will
> not work with 64 bit.
> The 64 bit version is more problematic as there are fewer drivers
> available.
>
> Do not assume newer hardware is windows Vista compatible, sometimes it
> is not.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Recondodan" <Recondodan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just plopped @$250 for the Vista Ultimate, expecting a polished
> > GUI,
> > fairly decent driver-support, and some gee-whiz eye candy. However,
> > I cannot
> > even get the 64-bit version to install. Longhorn here has been in
> > development for YEARS, and it won't even install! Replacing my
> > tried but
> > true XP operating system is not going to be a reality, anytime
> > soon, I
> > guess. The machine is bleeding edge, so it is not the hardware.
> >
> > To add insult to injury, in my opinion Office 2007 is inferior to
> > the 2003
> > release.
> >
> > Bill Gates and his crew should be ashamed of themselves for turning
> > out this
> > garbage...That is why people are going to become mac "converts" or
> > switch to
> > linux.
> >
> > Again, I am very disappointed, and I am going to return this turd of
> > an OS
> > for a refund.
> >
> > If anyone has a suggestion on how to get this turd to work, then
> > great-but I
> > am not disconnecting drives, or swapping ram modules, or chanting,
> > or, or, or.
> >
> > This damn thing should work first time, every time. Shame on you
> > Microsoft.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Upgrade fiasco
As you suggested the driver issues are improving.
Users need to contact the manufacturers of their hardware and let them
know they need support.
Further, it a customer changes brands because of lack of support, let
the original company know they purchased a product from a competitor,
what product and why.

It took several years for windows XP and it will take some time for
Windows Vista.