Re: vista installation problem atapi cd-rom driver

smartfiish

Re: vista installation problem atapi cd-rom driver
Colin,
I too have a SONY laptop (VGN-BX296XP 11 months old). I get the same ATAPI
CD-ROM error message when I try to install Vista Business edition. I have
tried everything I can, updating the driver, deleting the device as below all
to no avail. I've had the install pack since March and I have to say it's
the worst upgrade process from MS ever (I've been a Windows user since
version 3!). I've trawled the net endlessly since, lodged the problem with
Sony and hung on optimistically for a solution one day. It just seems such a
ridiculous error to stop an OS install?

In Device Manager it's displayed as INTEL(R) 82801 FBM Ultra ATA Storage
Controllers - 2653

The Device Instance Id from the details tab is:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&SUBSYS_81E8104D&REV_03\3&B1B FB68&0&FA

Any suggestions?