Addt'l misc. drivers load [DOS format] After OS Boots

drouin8

Addt'l misc. drivers load [DOS format] After OS Boots
Just when I expect my desktop page to appear (ie - after all the startup
processes, machinations, voodoo, etc.), I get a full screen, in DOS format of
addition system32 drivers that apparently never loaded with the rest of
them?!?

This is a Vista Ultimate OS on a Celeron M laptop with 2.0G RAM and 120 HD.
Vista Ultimate was preinstalled as was the additional gig of RAM.

System worked "fine" until recently with the advent of the additional
drivers seeming to load "after the fact" or at least "out of order". System
is somewhat slower (not much) and I cannot identify any precipitating event
which would have caused the addt'l drivers loading anomaly.

Finally, seems like there is no place in Control Panel (as in all prior
editions) to "repair" the OS installation.

Any help is more than greatly appreciated!!!!!

Doug

---------------------
"Should have gone with Red Hat years ago when I had the chance!"
Andrew McLaren

Re: Addt'l misc. drivers load [DOS format] After OS Boots
"drouin8" <drouin8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> Just when I expect my desktop page to appear (ie - after all the startup
> processes, machinations, voodoo, etc.), I get a full screen, in DOS format
> of
> addition system32 drivers that apparently never loaded with the rest of
> them?!?

Hi Doug

It doesn't sound very familiar. Do you get any descriptive text with this
list of drivers? Something like "Warning: these are the drivers which failed
to load" or similar? If so, please tell us the exact text.

However, it sounds more like your system has gone into "No GUI Boot" mode
(maybe because it is unhappy about a new driver). The way to configure this
is via the MSConfig utility.

At a command prompt, run teh command "msaconfig".
Enter administrator credentials if necessary
The "System Configuration" applet (msconfig) will appear.
Under General tab, select Normal Startup
Select teh Boot tab
Deselect Safe oot, if it is selected
Deselect No GUI Boot, if selected
Press Apply
Reboot.
If everything works fine, run MSConfig again and this time, check teh "make
changes permanent" checkbox.

> System worked "fine" until recently with the advent of the additional
> drivers seeming to load "after the fact" or at least "out of order".
> System

So, what were the drivers in question? What device? What makes you think
they 're loading "after the fact"? Some description and details would help a
lot, here!!! (if the above msconfig step doesn't fix teh problem outright).

> "Should have gone with Red Hat years ago when I had the chance!"

Nah. Maybe Fedora; but Redhat per se have long since left the desktop
market. Ubuntu is the distro I'd recommend.

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

drouin8

Re: Addt'l misc. drivers load [DOS format] After OS Boots
Andrew...Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! You have SOLVED this problem.
Somewhere in my selects, deselects, et al (I still do not possess the vast
vocabulary of terms needed to exactly explain what it is that I want to say)
I undid the gui or redid it.....whatever! I took your advice, followed your
direction to the tee. Lo and behold after the next reboot my laptop is
working just as it did prior to my "screwing with the startup commands,
scripts, programs, and whatever else you could call them".

I am now One Happy Camper again! Of course this does not mean that I still
have no other issues with things that go "bump" inside this laptop but
somehow just getting back to first base was very refreshing.

Again...mucho appreciado for your input and insights.

Doug