Advice Appreciated

[[]]

Advice Appreciated
Scenario:

Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate 32bit
ver.

Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista Ultimate
32bit ver.

Question:

What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?

Thanks.

-Steve

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Advice Appreciated
You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Advice Appreciated
You would need to purchase a 64-bit version of genuine Windows Vista
Ultimate and perform a "clean install".

Example:

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate OEM

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

"[[]]" wrote:

Scenario:

Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate 32bit
ver.

Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista Ultimate
32bit ver.

Question:

What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?

Thanks.

-Steve

[[]]

Re: Advice Appreciated
Hi Mike- Thank you for the warning. Where may I go to learn more about why
this should be a concern? Thanks in advance.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..
>

> "[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
>> Scenario:
>>
>> Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate 32bit
>> ver.
>>
>> Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista Ultimate
>> 32bit ver.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Victor

Re: Advice Appreciated
I have been "piloting" a 64 bit vista machine and the issues have been
extreme. As you know, many companies are slow to support a vista version or
even not planning on doing it at all, there are even more such issues with
64bit vista. Vista64 fails to support many file "infrequently used" file
types. FOr example, MICROSOFT live meeting wont work on 64bit Vista because
uploading resources to the live meeting server requires conversion to a
special file extension that vista64 does not support. Live meeting support
has stated that they have no intention of attempting to correct this issue on
their current release of the software. One of the major shipping companies'
packaging softwares wont run on 64bit. Real player software didnt work on 64
bit as of 2 months ago but that may be corrected now. The point is that while
converting to vista means some compatibility issues, converting to 64bit
makes it 10 times worse. I like the way vista works, and to be honest, the
32 bit system I use seems to run just as well as the 64bit at long as you
have a gig or more of ram.
Personally, unless you really need the 64bit processing for something
specific, you wont see any major difference in performance and just a lot
more conflicts.

But if you want to go 64, you will need to do a clean install since you cant
upgrade from 32 bit to 64. Depending on your licence that could require
buying a new copy of the software.

"[[]]" wrote:

> Hi Mike- Thank you for the warning. Where may I go to learn more about why
> this should be a concern? Thanks in advance.
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..
> >

> > "[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
> >> Scenario:
> >>
> >> Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate 32bit
> >> ver.
> >>
> >> Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista Ultimate
> >> 32bit ver.
> >>
> >> Question:
> >>
> >> What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> -Steve
> >>

> > --
> >

> > Mike Hall
> > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

[[]]

Re: Advice Appreciated
Thanks Victor....the info (and your real experience) is exactly what I was
looking for. I'll stay where I'm at and some some cash to boot.

-Steve

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been "piloting" a 64 bit vista machine and the issues have been
> extreme. As you know, many companies are slow to support a vista version
> or
> even not planning on doing it at all, there are even more such issues with
> 64bit vista. Vista64 fails to support many file "infrequently used" file
> types. FOr example, MICROSOFT live meeting wont work on 64bit Vista
> because
> uploading resources to the live meeting server requires conversion to a
> special file extension that vista64 does not support. Live meeting support
> has stated that they have no intention of attempting to correct this issue
> on
> their current release of the software. One of the major shipping
> companies'
> packaging softwares wont run on 64bit. Real player software didnt work on
> 64
> bit as of 2 months ago but that may be corrected now. The point is that
> while
> converting to vista means some compatibility issues, converting to 64bit
> makes it 10 times worse. I like the way vista works, and to be honest,
> the
> 32 bit system I use seems to run just as well as the 64bit at long as you
> have a gig or more of ram.
> Personally, unless you really need the 64bit processing for something
> specific, you wont see any major difference in performance and just a lot
> more conflicts.
>
> But if you want to go 64, you will need to do a clean install since you
> cant
> upgrade from 32 bit to 64. Depending on your licence that could require
> buying a new copy of the software.
>
> "[[]]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike- Thank you for the warning. Where may I go to learn more about
>> why
>> this should be a concern? Thanks in advance.
>>

>> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..
>> >

>> > "[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message

>> > --
>> >

>> > Mike Hall
>> > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

John Barnes

Re: Advice Appreciated
Do your homework about availability of drivers and working software . Also
you can browse thru the 64-bit newsgroup where this question has been
answered frequently. microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

"[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike- Thank you for the warning. Where may I go to learn more about why
> this should be a concern? Thanks in advance.
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..
>>

>> "[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
>>> Scenario:
>>>
>>> Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate
>>> 32bit ver.
>>>
>>> Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista
>>> Ultimate 32bit ver.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>>
>>> What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>>

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Advice Appreciated
Driver compatibility not just for what you have now, but what you might try
to connect in the not so distant future.. program compatibility..

Unless you are running or need mission critical 64 bit software requiring in
excess of 4gb, stick wit 32bit Vista..

"[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike- Thank you for the warning. Where may I go to learn more about why
> this should be a concern? Thanks in advance.
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You really do NOT want to do that.. it will bring you problems..
>>

>> "[[]]" <[[]]@[[]].com> wrote in message
>>> Scenario:
>>>
>>> Laptop 1 on which I've installed a retail version of Vista Ultimate
>>> 32bit ver.
>>>
>>> Laptop 2 which I just purchased with factory installed OEM Vista
>>> Ultimate 32bit ver.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>>
>>> What are my options if I'd like to change Laptop 2 to 64bit?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>>

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

John Barnes

Re: Advice Appreciated
I agree, but I have been living in the 64-bit world for 3 years now and am
very happy there. I still use 32-bit on my wife's computer.