Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Saving the Upgrade

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2007
Tom Scales
 

Posts: n/a
Saving the Upgrade
I have a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. Because I needed
Remote Desktop (which should have been included -- Thanks MS), I did the
Windows Anytime upgrade.

Worked fine and I now have Windows Ultimate.

However.

I now need to do a clean install. I have the Dell Vista disk, but if
course my key is for Windows Business.

How do I accomplish this? Does activation 'know' that my key is now for
Windows Ultimate? How, since the factory build likely uses a generic
key?

Are there files I need to save off the laptop? The download doesn't
give you an option to save the file.

Surely I didn't throw away $149 on something that I can't use again.

Or maybe I did. This is MS.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving the Upgrade
Hi,

Go to the marketplace and login to the digital locker account you should
have created when you made the purchase to retrieve the desired information:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/

Incidentally, Vista Business includes remote desktop, so I am not sure why
you had to upgrade to Ultimate.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:A128E58DEFE8497CADE920BC3D3749BC@M2010...
>I have a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. Because I needed
> Remote Desktop (which should have been included -- Thanks MS), I did the
> Windows Anytime upgrade.
>
> Worked fine and I now have Windows Ultimate.
>
> However.
>
> I now need to do a clean install. I have the Dell Vista disk, but if
> course my key is for Windows Business.
>
> How do I accomplish this? Does activation 'know' that my key is now for
> Windows Ultimate? How, since the factory build likely uses a generic
> key?
>
> Are there files I need to save off the laptop? The download doesn't
> give you an option to save the file.
>
> Surely I didn't throw away $149 on something that I can't use again.
>
> Or maybe I did. This is MS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2007
Tom Scales
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Saving the Upgrade
Typo on my part. This machine had Home Premium. I do know Business
includes it.

The marketplace was the solution. Thank you very much. Kind of a weird
solution -- depending on MS keeping this account forever!

Tom

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Rogers [mailto:rick@mvps.org]
> Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:53 AM
> Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> Conversation: Saving the Upgrade
> Subject: Re: Saving the Upgrade
>
> Hi,
>
> Go to the marketplace and login to the digital locker account you
> should
> have created when you made the purchase to retrieve the desired
> information:
> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/
>
> Incidentally, Vista Business includes remote desktop, so I am not sure
> why
> you had to upgrade to Ultimate.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:A128E58DEFE8497CADE920BC3D3749BC@M2010...
> >I have a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. Because I needed
> > Remote Desktop (which should have been included -- Thanks MS), I did

> the
> > Windows Anytime upgrade.
> >
> > Worked fine and I now have Windows Ultimate.
> >
> > However.
> >
> > I now need to do a clean install. I have the Dell Vista disk, but

if
> > course my key is for Windows Business.
> >
> > How do I accomplish this? Does activation 'know' that my key is now

> for
> > Windows Ultimate? How, since the factory build likely uses a

generic
> > key?
> >
> > Are there files I need to save off the laptop? The download doesn't
> > give you an option to save the file.
> >
> > Surely I didn't throw away $149 on something that I can't use again.
> >
> > Or maybe I did. This is MS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
> >


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Saving the Upgrade
Hi,

Just so you're aware, Home Premium can be an RD guest, but not as a host. In
short, you can use HP to access a system with RD, but you cannot access a HP
system with RD.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:B44C1CDB5A4E41579A13E5AA8553BD98@M2010...
> Typo on my part. This machine had Home Premium. I do know Business
> includes it.
>
> The marketplace was the solution. Thank you very much. Kind of a weird
> solution -- depending on MS keeping this account forever!
>
> Tom
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Rick Rogers [mailto:rick@mvps.org]
>> Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:53 AM
>> Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
>> Conversation: Saving the Upgrade
>> Subject: Re: Saving the Upgrade
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to the marketplace and login to the digital locker account you
>> should
>> have created when you made the purchase to retrieve the desired
>> information:
>> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/
>>
>> Incidentally, Vista Business includes remote desktop, so I am not sure
>> why
>> you had to upgrade to Ultimate.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:A128E58DEFE8497CADE920BC3D3749BC@M2010...
>> >I have a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. Because I needed
>> > Remote Desktop (which should have been included -- Thanks MS), I did

>> the
>> > Windows Anytime upgrade.
>> >
>> > Worked fine and I now have Windows Ultimate.
>> >
>> > However.
>> >
>> > I now need to do a clean install. I have the Dell Vista disk, but

> if
>> > course my key is for Windows Business.
>> >
>> > How do I accomplish this? Does activation 'know' that my key is now

>> for
>> > Windows Ultimate? How, since the factory build likely uses a

> generic
>> > key?
>> >
>> > Are there files I need to save off the laptop? The download doesn't
>> > give you an option to save the file.
>> >
>> > Surely I didn't throw away $149 on something that I can't use again.
>> >
>> > Or maybe I did. This is MS.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tom
>> >

>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2007
Tom Scales
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Saving the Upgrade
Yeah, I knew that. I use RD on my 'main machine' and then when I'm on
my laptop I can access it. Very convenient. I think it was a huge
mistake to not include it in HP as I know a ton of people that do the
same. Guess it is a money maker forcing Ultimate upgrades.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Rogers [mailto:rick@mvps.org]
> Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:03 PM
> Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> Conversation: Saving the Upgrade
> Subject: Re: Saving the Upgrade
>
> Hi,
>
> Just so you're aware, Home Premium can be an RD guest, but not as a
> host. In
> short, you can use HP to access a system with RD, but you cannot

access
> a HP
> system with RD.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:B44C1CDB5A4E41579A13E5AA8553BD98@M2010...
> > Typo on my part. This machine had Home Premium. I do know Business
> > includes it.
> >
> > The marketplace was the solution. Thank you very much. Kind of a

> weird
> > solution -- depending on MS keeping this account forever!
> >
> > Tom
> >
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: Rick Rogers [mailto:rick@mvps.org]
> >> Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:53 AM
> >> Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> >> Conversation: Saving the Upgrade
> >> Subject: Re: Saving the Upgrade
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Go to the marketplace and login to the digital locker account you
> >> should
> >> have created when you made the purchase to retrieve the desired
> >> information:
> >> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/
> >>
> >> Incidentally, Vista Business includes remote desktop, so I am not

> sure
> >> why
> >> you had to upgrade to Ultimate.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,
> >>
> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >>
> >> "Tom Scales" <tjscales@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:A128E58DEFE8497CADE920BC3D3749BC@M2010...
> >> >I have a laptop that came with Vista Home Premium. Because I

> needed
> >> > Remote Desktop (which should have been included -- Thanks MS), I

> did
> >> the
> >> > Windows Anytime upgrade.
> >> >
> >> > Worked fine and I now have Windows Ultimate.
> >> >
> >> > However.
> >> >
> >> > I now need to do a clean install. I have the Dell Vista disk,

but
> > if
> >> > course my key is for Windows Business.
> >> >
> >> > How do I accomplish this? Does activation 'know' that my key is

> now
> >> for
> >> > Windows Ultimate? How, since the factory build likely uses a

> > generic
> >> > key?
> >> >
> >> > Are there files I need to save off the laptop? The download

> doesn't
> >> > give you an option to save the file.
> >> >
> >> > Surely I didn't throw away $149 on something that I can't use

> again.
> >> >
> >> > Or maybe I did. This is MS.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks,
> >> >
> >> > Tom
> >> >

> >


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Saving Jon Norlin microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 06-25-2007 18:14
Saving pictures tia microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 06-06-2007 18:54
Help re saving photos =?Utf-8?B?ZG9sdHM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-20-2007 23:03
Energy saving =?Utf-8?B?b2xmcmVk?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 02-18-2007 20:07
Outlook not saving passwords after Vista upgrade Carmine Castiglia microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 02-04-2007 04:32




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120