Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?

Sam Santiago

Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?
After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire directory or at least some of the files within it?

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam

Paul Randall

Re: Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?

"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@N0SPAM-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message news:73D2D2A3-6931-4D3A-B808-6E43B83C21E0@microsoft.com...
After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire directory or at least some of the files within it?

Thanks,

Sam

Paul Randall

Re: Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?
Info on Vista's use of Panther folder:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pa...=100&scoring=d
-Paul Randall
"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@N0SPAM-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message news:73D2D2A3-6931-4D3A-B808-6E43B83C21E0@microsoft.com...
After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire directory or at least some of the files within it?

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam
ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com

ssantiago@softitechture.com

Re: Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?
Does anyone have a more definitive answer as to whether the c:\windows
\panther directory is needed after successful installation of Vista?
The link below simply searched the newsgroups which I had already
done. None of the found entries state the answer.

Thanks,

Sam

On Jul 16, 12:04 pm, "Paul Randall" <paulr...@cableone.net> wrote:
> Info on Vista's use of Panther folder:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pa...soft.public.wi...
> -Paul Randall
> "Sam Santiago" <ssanti...@N0SPAM-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in messagenews:73D2D2A3-6931-4D3A-B808-6E43B83C21E0@microsoft.com...
> After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire directory or at least some of the files within it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam
> ssanti...@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com

Leo

Re: Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?
Rename the Panther directory to something else and continue to operate for a
couple of weeks and see if you have any problems.

--
Leo

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end,
someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them.

<ssantiago@softitechture.com> wrote in message
news:1184654782.340982.276390@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
> Does anyone have a more definitive answer as to whether the c:\windows
> \panther directory is needed after successful installation of Vista?
> The link below simply searched the newsgroups which I had already
> done. None of the found entries state the answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> On Jul 16, 12:04 pm, "Paul Randall" <paulr...@cableone.net> wrote:
>> Info on Vista's use of Panther
>> folder:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pa...soft.public.wi...
>> -Paul Randall
>> "Sam Santiago" <ssanti...@N0SPAM-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:73D2D2A3-6931-4D3A-B808-6E43B83C21E0@microsoft.com...
>> After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's
>> a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a
>> 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire
>> directory or at least some of the files within it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam
>>
>> --
>> _______________________________
>> Sam
>> ssanti...@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com

Jack E Martinelli is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Safe to delete the C:\windows\panther directory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Randall View Post
Info on Vista's use of Panther folder:
Google Groups
-Paul Randall
"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@N0SPAM-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message news:73D2D2A3-6931-4D3A-B808-6E43B83C21E0@microsoft.com...
After upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP SP2 I noticed there's a C:\Windows\Panther directory with huge logs files and data files in a 'catalogs' subdirectory - about 1 GB. Is it safe to delete this entire directory or at least some of the files within it?

END
Sam
ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
Reply:

A fairly complete description of the "Panther" folder found in Vista & Win 7 installations is at MS KB 927 521.

A quite detailed explanation of the Vista setup process is at

Inside Vista Setup

Microsoft also has extensive documentation of this mass production of Windows OS PC'S including a 12-part video by one of the engineers who manages the dept. which instructs in how to do these installations in great numbers.

Jack E Martinelli former MS MVP for Win 9X / XP 2001-06