when upgrading to windows vista from xp professional

shericka

when upgrading to windows vista from xp professional
when my computer start up the screen display windows cannot boot and that i
need to re install windows to repair it but i have lost mt disk i still have
my product key if i pop in an upgrade disk for vista will it work or do i
need to do something else?
Rick Rogers

Re: when upgrading to windows vista from xp professional
Hi,

An upgrade disk is the same as a regular install disk. It's the product key
that determines how you are allowed to use it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"shericka" <shericka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when my computer start up the screen display windows cannot boot and that
> need to re install windows to repair it but i have lost mt disk i still
> have
> my product key if i pop in an upgrade disk for vista will it work or do i
> need to do something else?

shericka

Re: when upgrading to windows vista from xp professional
my windows xp is genuine if thats what you mean so if window is damaged can i
use a vista upgrade disk to start

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> An upgrade disk is the same as a regular install disk. It's the product key
> that determines how you are allowed to use it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "shericka" <shericka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when my computer start up the screen display windows cannot boot and that
> > need to re install windows to repair it but i have lost mt disk i still
> > have
> > my product key if i pop in an upgrade disk for vista will it work or do i
> > need to do something else?

Rick Rogers

Re: when upgrading to windows vista from xp professional
Hi,

I wasn't implying anything about your XP installation, I was simply stating
how Vista keys work. If you have an upgrade key, it is for use for
installing from within an existing installation, not for a clean install by
booting the disk. There is a workaround, but you won't be able to keep your
programs and settings, they would have to be reinstalled and reconfigured.