virtual PC 2007

monty

virtual PC 2007
hi everyone..
i wanna ask bout virtual pC 2007..
i already install VPC 2007, and the vga card just support riva tnt 8 mb, how
can i change this into my actual vga card (GF go 8600 gt)?
i tried to add new hardware but it wont work.. is this VPC only support riva
tnt 8 mb?

anyone please help me..
thanxx..

Andrew McLaren

Re: virtual PC 2007
"monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> i already install VPC 2007, and the vga card just support riva tnt 8 mb,
> how
> can i change this into my actual vga card (GF go 8600 gt)?
> i tried to add new hardware but it wont work.. is this VPC only support
> riva
> tnt 8 mb?

You cannot add new hardware to the virtual machine. The VM only exists in
software; it doesn't know anything about the "real" physical video card
installed on your machine. The list of emulated hardware is described in the
online Help file: BX440 motherboard, s3 Trio Video card, etc.

The 8MB s3 card is pretty modest; but it is also extremely stable (so, a
good candidate for virtualisation). It is adequate for 2D applications.
Obviouly it has no 3D capability - if you need fancy 3D grphics, then
running in a virtual machine is not a good choice for deployment.

Some background info from Ben Armstrong (VPC progra manager at Microsoft)
here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...26/361361.aspx

Hope it helps,
--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

monty

Re: virtual PC 2007
thanx andrew..
wanna ask one thing..
is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the hardware? or
they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..
PvdG42

Re: virtual PC 2007

"monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanx andrew..
> wanna ask one thing..
> is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the hardware?
> or
> they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..

You can try VMWare:

http://www.vmware.com/download/

Download an evaluation copy and see if it meets your needs.

StephenB

Re: virtual PC 2007
monty <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanx andrew..
>wanna ask one thing..
>is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the hardware? or
>they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..

If you want to use the hardware, you want a dual or multi-boot configuration,
not virtualization. As far as I know, there aren't any solutions to use the
actual PC hardware in a virtual environment.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Brett I. Holcomb

Re: virtual PC 2007
VMware doesn't let you configure the hardware for a VM like you want
either. As someone pointed out - the virtual machines (VMs) are setup
to emulate hardware that is stable which in the case of video cards is
not cutting edge in that it doesn't have a lot of memory and won't do
3D. With both VMware Server, Workstation, and ESX you get hardware you
can't change.

PvdG42 wrote:

> "monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> thanx andrew..
>> wanna ask one thing..
>> is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the
>> hardware? or
>> they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..

> You can try VMWare:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/download/
>
> Download an evaluation copy and see if it meets your needs.

monty

Re: virtual PC 2007
> If you want to use the hardware, you want a dual or multi-boot configuration,
> not virtualization. As far as I know, there aren't any solutions to use the
> actual PC hardware in a virtual environment.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

thanx to all of you..
i've try dual booting but it wont work. my acer 5920 laptop came with
preinstalled vista home premium, i try to dual boot several times, when i
installed XP pro, it wont boot vista, and when i installed XP first then
vista, it wont boot xp. i've try the steps to dual boot by APC mag in their
web, and it doen't help. yeah maybe i need to forget bout dual booting vista
& xp..
if any of you know how to dual boot vista & xp in a laptop with vista
preinstalled please help me..
thanx again for all..
John Barnes

Re: virtual PC 2007
If you are reinstalling Vista from a restore DVD or partition, you are
wiping out your XP system. You can install XP second. First go into the
Vista Disk Management and make the partition you are going to install XP on
your active drive. Boot to the cd and install XP to that drive. Boot into
XP and change the Vista drive back to active. Download and install EasyBCD
or VistaBootPro and set up a legacy system entry pointing to the XP drive.
If you have a problem booting to XP, copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and
boot.ini files from the XP drive to the Vista drive.

>> If you want to use the hardware, you want a dual or multi-boot
>> configuration,
>> not virtualization. As far as I know, there aren't any solutions to use
>> the
>> actual PC hardware in a virtual environment.
>> -steve
>> --
>> Stephen Boots
>> MVP Windows Live
>> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
>> sboots@mvps.org

> thanx to all of you..
> i've try dual booting but it wont work. my acer 5920 laptop came with
> preinstalled vista home premium, i try to dual boot several times, when i
> installed XP pro, it wont boot vista, and when i installed XP first then
> vista, it wont boot xp. i've try the steps to dual boot by APC mag in
> their
> web, and it doen't help. yeah maybe i need to forget bout dual booting
> vista
> & xp..
> if any of you know how to dual boot vista & xp in a laptop with vista
> preinstalled please help me..
> thanx again for all..

Andrew McLaren

Re: virtual PC 2007
"monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the hardware?
> or
> they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..

No all virtualisation products work on the same broad principle.

What is the goal? Do wou want to run Vista in a VM? Or some other OS? What
applications do you want to run in the VM, and what are their graphics
requirments?

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

joseph2k

Re: virtual PC 2007
Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> VMware doesn't let you configure the hardware for a VM like you want
> either. As someone pointed out - the virtual machines (VMs) are setup
> to emulate hardware that is stable which in the case of video cards is
> not cutting edge in that it doesn't have a lot of memory and won't do
> 3D. With both VMware Server, Workstation, and ESX you get hardware you
> can't change.
>

> PvdG42 wrote:
>>
>> "monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> thanx andrew..
>>> wanna ask one thing..
>>> is there any program like virtual pc which i can configure the
>>> hardware? or
>>> they are all the same like VPC 2007 which we cannot add hardware..

>> You can try VMWare:
>>
>> http://www.vmware.com/download/
>>
>> Download an evaluation copy and see if it meets your needs.

I had been under the impression that it could provide a virtualuzed version
of the actual card. Live and learn.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.┬*┬*