Dual boot problem - Vista and XP

Taxee

Dual boot problem - Vista and XP
I just purchased a new computer - Intel dual processor on Intel motherboard
with 3 Gb RAM, 2 x SATA HDD's (250 Gb & 500 Gb) - with Vista installed.

I attempted to install XP on the second drive to dual boot but I received
the following error message when I attempted to do a quick format - "Set up
was unable to format the partition. Disk may be damaged." The install then
aborts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Dual boot problem - Vista and XP
It may be the SATA drives...

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ter-vista.html

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...geID=22733 23

"Taxee" <Taxee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a new computer - Intel dual processor on Intel motherboard
> with 3 Gb RAM, 2 x SATA HDD's (250 Gb & 500 Gb) - with Vista installed.
>
> I attempted to install XP on the second drive to dual boot but I received
> the following error message when I attempted to do a quick format - "Set
> up
> was unable to format the partition. Disk may be damaged." The install
> then
> aborts.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot problem - Vista and XP
If you do install XP on the second drive, unless you disconnect the first
drive or make the second drive the first in your boot priority in the BIOS,
you are going to overwrite the boot files for Vista and won't be able to
boot Vista until you fix the Vista boot process. Also beware that every
time you boot to XP you will delete all shadow copies and restore points in
your Vista system. As to your initial question why don't you do a chkdsk on
that disk using the second option. In my computer/properties/tools/error
checking scan for and attempt to etc. takes a while depending on your HD
size. Anything already on that disk?

"Taxee" <Taxee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a new computer - Intel dual processor on Intel motherboard
> with 3 Gb RAM, 2 x SATA HDD's (250 Gb & 500 Gb) - with Vista installed.
>
> I attempted to install XP on the second drive to dual boot but I received
> the following error message when I attempted to do a quick format - "Set
> up
> was unable to format the partition. Disk may be damaged." The install
> then
> aborts.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Tomika

Re: Dual boot problem - Vista and XP
Hello,
try with this, i have a some problem, i try this and by me work all ok,
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88231

you must download and http://www.vistabootpro.org/, this is after install of
XP, for creating dual boot menus
Regards,
Tom

"Taxee" <Taxee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a new computer - Intel dual processor on Intel motherboard
> with 3 Gb RAM, 2 x SATA HDD's (250 Gb & 500 Gb) - with Vista installed.
>
> I attempted to install XP on the second drive to dual boot but I received
> the following error message when I attempted to do a quick format - "Set
> up
> was unable to format the partition. Disk may be damaged." The install
> then
> aborts.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

James Matthews

Re: Dual boot problem - Vista and XP
Had an issue with my sound and this know the feeling

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=14