installing windows vista

cmclean

installing windows vista
I recently received a new desktop pc with no operating system installed. I
have purchased windows vista home basic to install. but when i insert the
disk into the drive and start the pc i get a Boot Disk Error. insert system
disk and press enter error. can anyone help
Peter

Re: installing windows vista
Is the drive a DVD/CD combo drive or just a CD drive? Vista uses DVD's.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"cmclean" <cmclean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently received a new desktop pc with no operating system installed. I
> have purchased windows vista home basic to install. but when i insert the
> disk into the drive and start the pc i get a Boot Disk Error. insert
> system
> disk and press enter error. can anyone help

Peter

Re: installing windows vista
Also boot to BIOS by tapping F1 at bootup. (Usually F1 but it varies) and
then check that the BIOS is reading all the drives, plus the boot sequence
is CD then HD etc. Also make sure that you don't have any floppy in a
floppy drive or another CD drive in use.
I would contact whomever gave you the machine if the problem continues.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
"cmclean" <cmclean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently received a new desktop pc with no operating system installed. I
> have purchased windows vista home basic to install. but when i insert the
> disk into the drive and start the pc i get a Boot Disk Error. insert
> system
> disk and press enter error. can anyone help

cmclean

Re: installing windows vista
when i pull up the boot menu it wont let me navigate in the menu. all of the
other menus work fine. i beleive the hard drive is booting first but i cant
change it

"Peter" wrote:

> Also boot to BIOS by tapping F1 at bootup. (Usually F1 but it varies) and
> then check that the BIOS is reading all the drives, plus the boot sequence
> is CD then HD etc. Also make sure that you don't have any floppy in a
> floppy drive or another CD drive in use.
> I would contact whomever gave you the machine if the problem continues.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> "cmclean" <cmclean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently received a new desktop pc with no operating system installed. I
> > have purchased windows vista home basic to install. but when i insert the
> > disk into the drive and start the pc i get a Boot Disk Error. insert
> > system
> > disk and press enter error. can anyone help

Peter

Re: installing windows vista
Whomever has given you this has probably protected the BIOS somehow, I would
contact them.

--
> when i pull up the boot menu it wont let me navigate in the menu. all of
> the
> other menus work fine. i beleive the hard drive is booting first but i
> cant
> change it
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Also boot to BIOS by tapping F1 at bootup. (Usually F1 but it varies)
>> and
>> then check that the BIOS is reading all the drives, plus the boot
>> sequence
>> is CD then HD etc. Also make sure that you don't have any floppy in a
>> floppy drive or another CD drive in use.
>> I would contact whomever gave you the machine if the problem continues.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
>> "cmclean" <cmclean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently received a new desktop pc with no operating system installed.
>> > have purchased windows vista home basic to install. but when i insert
>> > the
>> > disk into the drive and start the pc i get a Boot Disk Error. insert
>> > system
>> > disk and press enter error. can anyone help

cmclean

Re: installing windows vista
ok thanks

"Peter" wrote:

> Whomever has given you this has probably protected the BIOS somehow, I would
> contact them.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> "cmclean" <cmclean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i pull up the boot menu it wont let me navigate in the menu. all of
> > the
> > other menus work fine. i beleive the hard drive is booting first but i
> > cant
> > change it
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> Also boot to BIOS by tapping F1 at bootup. (Usually F1 but it varies)
> >> and
> >> then check that the BIOS is reading all the drives, plus the boot
> >> sequence
> >> is CD then HD etc. Also make sure that you don't have any floppy in a
> >> floppy drive or another CD drive in use.
> >> I would contact whomever gave you the machine if the problem continues.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter
> >> Toronto, Canada
> >> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate

Peter

Re: installing windows vista
I could be way out here though. Try posting over at
http://forums.techguy.org/