Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?

Peter

Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask is
the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably not on
my main Vista.
Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my (then)
single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just bite the
bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted and
reinstalled!

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Malke

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Peter wrote:
> I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
> install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask
> is the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably
> not on my main Vista.
> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my
> (then) single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just
> bite the bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted
> and reinstalled!

You are correct, the answer is "no". However, I have a better idea for
you than taking chances with your production machine. Purchase an
imaging program (I like Acronis TrueImage) and an external hard drive.
Image your current install and store the image on the external hard
drive. Then you can test all you like and if things get messed up, it's
only a matter of minutes to restore the image and be back in business.

As a nice bonus, TrueImage does incremental backups too.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Peter

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Is the operative word external there? Why not internal?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
> Peter wrote:
>> I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
>> install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask
>> is the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably
>> not on my main Vista.
>> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my
>> (then) single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just bite
>> the bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted and
>> reinstalled!
>>

> You are correct, the answer is "no". However, I have a better idea for you
> than taking chances with your production machine. Purchase an imaging
> program (I like Acronis TrueImage) and an external hard drive. Image your
> current install and store the image on the external hard drive. Then you
> can test all you like and if things get messed up, it's only a matter of
> minutes to restore the image and be back in business.
>
> As a nice bonus, TrueImage does incremental backups too.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

John Barnes

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Internal works fine. I am sure he used external for extra safety

"Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is the operative word external there? Why not internal?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:
>>> I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
>>> install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask
>>> is the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably
>>> not on my main Vista.
>>> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my
>>> (then) single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just
>>> bite the bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted
>>> and reinstalled!
>>>

>> You are correct, the answer is "no". However, I have a better idea for
>> you than taking chances with your production machine. Purchase an imaging
>> program (I like Acronis TrueImage) and an external hard drive. Image your
>> current install and store the image on the external hard drive. Then you
>> can test all you like and if things get messed up, it's only a matter of
>> minutes to restore the image and be back in business.
>>
>> As a nice bonus, TrueImage does incremental backups too.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Peter

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Thanks Malke & John. I was about to purchase Acronis T.I. 10 anyway
having used 9 for ages!

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
> Internal works fine. I am sure he used external for extra safety
>
> "Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is the operative word external there? Why not internal?
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
>> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> You are correct, the answer is "no". However, I have a better idea for
>>> you than taking chances with your production machine. Purchase an
>>> imaging program (I like Acronis TrueImage) and an external hard drive.
>>> Image your current install and store the image on the external hard
>>> drive. Then you can test all you like and if things get messed up, it's
>>> only a matter of minutes to restore the image and be back in business.
>>>
>>> As a nice bonus, TrueImage does incremental backups too.
>>>

>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Visbak

>I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
>install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask is
>the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably not on
>my main Vista.
> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my (then)
> single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just bite the
> bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted and
> reinstalled!

If you want to install Vista on the same machine or on another machine, just
to test the upcoming SP1, you can do that IMHO.
Install Vista, but don't enter the product key. You can now test Vista for
100 days without registering/activate.
I guess this is enough for testing purposes?

--
Mvg Kristof

Peter wrote:
> Thanks Malke & John. I was about to purchase Acronis T.I. 10 anyway
> having used 9 for ages!

Yes, of course you can use an internal hard drive. I do recommend owning
an external hard drive because I like having my backups in a different
location than my computers, but it really doesn't matter where the drive
holding the images lives. The important bit is that the images are
stored on a different hard drive, not on the same one as your
installation on a different partition. You can *do* it on a different
partition, but that gives you no protection if the hard drive dies.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Peter

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
That's certainly a thought. I'll probably go the clone route though.
Thanks.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Visbak" <visbak@-skipthis-gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
>>install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask is
>>the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably not on
>>my main Vista.
>> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my
>> (then) single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just bite
>> the bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted and
>> reinstalled!

> If you want to install Vista on the same machine or on another machine,
> just to test the upcoming SP1, you can do that IMHO.
> Install Vista, but don't enter the product key. You can now test Vista for
> 100 days without registering/activate.
> I guess this is enough for testing purposes?
>
> --
> Mvg Kristof

John Barnes

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Sorry, but make sure you are not connected to the internet. The first time
it phones home you will get a warning to activate since it will be on a
different drive. You will only be able to use it so long before you must
have the connection. Technically you are also in license violation.

"Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB8E8B5F-5155-43E0-A325-E0C0A4329FF5@microsoft.com...
> That's certainly a thought. I'll probably go the clone route though.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate
> "Visbak" <visbak@-skipthis-gmx.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I think I know the answer already - NO!! With a regular license can I
>>>install my Vista again in another partition of the drive. Reason I ask
>>>is the upcoming SP1 for Vista. I would like to test it but preferably
>>>not on my main Vista.
>>> Come to think of it, I beta tested XP SP2 all the way through on my
>>> (then) single XP system without too many problems so maybe I'll just
>>> bite the bullet. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've formatted
>>> and reinstalled!

>> If you want to install Vista on the same machine or on another machine,
>> just to test the upcoming SP1, you can do that IMHO.
>> Install Vista, but don't enter the product key. You can now test Vista
>> for 100 days without registering/activate.
>> I guess this is enough for testing purposes?
>>
>> --
>> Mvg Kristof

Peter

Re: Install my Vista twice on same machine - allowed?
Acknowledged, thanks.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada