Problems installing Vista Business upgrade

Just Me

Problems installing Vista Business upgrade
I just did a fresh install of my Win Xp Pro and then tried to install my
Vista Business Upgrade and when I enter the key number I get a error message
saying I have to install from my previous version of windows ??????? BTW I
did activate XP pro before trying to install Vista. XP Pro is my previous
version of windows, what up with this?????

Confused

Thanks

Bren

Re: Problems installing Vista Business upgrade
Did you boot from the Vista DVD to install, or did you run the install from
the DVD whilst running Windows XP pro?

As afar as I am aware, you need to run setup from your Windows XP Pro
desktop rather than booting directly from the Vista DVD and expecting to
upgrade from there.

Bren

"Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message
>I just did a fresh install of my Win Xp Pro and then tried to install my
>Vista Business Upgrade and when I enter the key number I get a error
>message saying I have to install from my previous version of windows
>??????? BTW I did activate XP pro before trying to install Vista. XP Pro
>is my previous version of windows, what up with this?????
>
> Confused
>

> Thanks

Paul Randall

Re: Problems installing Vista Business upgrade

"Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message
>I just did a fresh install of my Win Xp Pro and then tried to install my
>Vista Business Upgrade and when I enter the key number I get a error
>message saying I have to install from my previous version of windows
>??????? BTW I did activate XP pro before trying to install Vista. XP Pro
>is my previous version of windows, what up with this?????
>
> Confused
>

> Thanks

If your intent is to do a 'clean install' of Vista, then I would make a
suggestion.
Note: you will lose everything on the partition when you do this.
Note: you will have to install Vista twice, just as your current method
requires two installs (one XP, one Vista), but you won't have any XP stuff
tagging along.

Boot from Vista DVD and install, formatting the partition you will install
to, but leave key blank and set the option to NOT automatically activate.
When installation is done, you will have a Vista system that can be used for
30 days or so.

While running this non-activated Vista, install Vista from the DVD, this
time putting in the key and setting auto activate as you wish. When
installation is done, you have a clean install.

-Paul Randall
groups.google from microsoft.public.windows.vista for more info and some
really good links.

-Paul Randall

Just Me

Re: Problems installing Vista Business upgrade
I tried what you said and I get the same message when I try to enter my key
on the second installation..........?????????????
"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message

> "Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message
>>I just did a fresh install of my Win Xp Pro and then tried to install my
>>Vista Business Upgrade and when I enter the key number I get a error
>>message saying I have to install from my previous version of windows
>>??????? BTW I did activate XP pro before trying to install Vista. XP Pro
>>is my previous version of windows, what up with this?????
>>
>> Confused
>>

>> Thanks

> If your intent is to do a 'clean install' of Vista, then I would make a
> suggestion.
> Note: you will lose everything on the partition when you do this.
> Note: you will have to install Vista twice, just as your current method
> requires two installs (one XP, one Vista), but you won't have any XP stuff
> tagging along.
>
> Boot from Vista DVD and install, formatting the partition you will install
> to, but leave key blank and set the option to NOT automatically activate.
> When installation is done, you will have a Vista system that can be used
> for 30 days or so.
>
> While running this non-activated Vista, install Vista from the DVD, this
> time putting in the key and setting auto activate as you wish. When
> installation is done, you have a clean install.
>
> -Paul Randall
> groups.google from microsoft.public.windows.vista for more info and some
> really good links.
>
> -Paul Randall

...winston

Re: Problems installing Vista Business upgrade
Iirc, last week or the week before someone reported that the dual install method was now being prevented by Msft.
All my Vista installs were with full versions, thus can't offer any more information than what I remember reading.

If I may ask, and correct me accordingly if I misunderstood, Why did you not insert the Vista Upgrade DVD while still in XP Pro desktop ?

--
....winston
MS-MVP WLMd

"Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message news:139npcqt48vq379@corp.supernews.com...
:I tried what you said and I get the same message when I try to enter my key
: on the second installation..........?????????????
: "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
: news:uxvqrxlxHHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: >
: > "Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message
: > news:139fo861b5eqbc2@corp.supernews.com...
: >>I just did a fresh install of my Win Xp Pro and then tried to install my
: >>Vista Business Upgrade and when I enter the key number I get a error
: >>message saying I have to install from my previous version of windows
: >>??????? BTW I did activate XP pro before trying to install Vista. XP Pro
: >>is my previous version of windows, what up with this?????
: >>
: >> Confused
: >>
: >>
: >> Thanks
: >
[...]
:
:
Just Me

Re: Problems installing Vista Business upgrade
Mainly because I wanted a fresh install and in past versions of Windows all
you had to do is insert the previous version CD and then the newer version
will install. Another thing, I am trying to install this Vista on a
different computer with XP Pro not the computer that I have the XpPro that I
bought and got this free upgrade to Vista with. Could this upgrade be tied
to the XP Pro I bought ? it would have to be tied to the Key code of the XP
Pro I bought and that would suck.

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Inline.

"Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message news:139pc0ank6ibg25@corp.supernews.com...
: Mainly because I wanted a fresh install and in past versions of Windows all
: you had to do is insert the previous version CD and then the newer version
: will install.
- Insert prior software is no longer supported

: Another thing, I am trying to install this Vista on a
: different computer with XP Pro not the computer that I have the XpPro that I
: bought and got this free upgrade to Vista with. Could this upgrade be tied
: to the XP Pro I bought ?
- If this is an OEM upgrade from your pc supplier, you might ask them if it is tied to the manufacturer/bios/etc of the original as purchased machine. What does seem clear and/or apparent is the oem intended for it to installed on the machine qualifying for the upgrade.

--
....winston
MS-MVP WLMd

: