Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro

bobbo

Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
As a home computer builder, I recently purchased an OEM version of Vista
Home Premium that I plan to install as a dual boot operating system with
Windows XP Pro.
I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0, which indicated that the Tekram
SCSI controller (Tekram DC-395U/UW/F, DC-315/U or DC-305I/E PCI Ultra SCSI
Host Adapter V3.0.3) for my Iomega 100 Zip drive will not work in Vista. So
far, I have been unable to install Vista in dual boot mode. I start the
installation, but on the first reboot I get the message “DISK READ ERROR,
press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart". Pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del only restarts the
install process but encounters the Disk Read Error again on the first reboot.
At that point, it becomes necessary to restore an image of my Windows XP
partition in order to enable booting into Windows XP. Is it possible that
the Tekram SCSI controller is preventing the installation?
Vista Upgrade advisor found no other problems except for Realtek audio which
can be fixed with a driver upgrade.
I have two SATA hard drives installed, a Western Digital WDC
WD1600JS-55MHB1 as the boot drive, and a Western Digital @DC WD
2500KS-00MJBO. I have heard that there could be a problem installing Vista
dual booting on SATA hard drives.
Please advise as to how I may successfully install the Vista Home Premium in
a dual boot mode.
Thank you,
--
bobbo
John Barnes

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
You probably need to supply the SATA controller drivers on your MOBO

"bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As a home computer builder, I recently purchased an OEM version of Vista
> Home Premium that I plan to install as a dual boot operating system with
> Windows XP Pro.
> I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0, which indicated that the
> Tekram
> SCSI controller (Tekram DC-395U/UW/F, DC-315/U or DC-305I/E PCI Ultra SCSI
> Host Adapter V3.0.3) for my Iomega 100 Zip drive will not work in Vista.
> So
> far, I have been unable to install Vista in dual boot mode. I start the
> installation, but on the first reboot I get the message “DISK READ ERROR,
> press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart". Pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del only restarts the
> install process but encounters the Disk Read Error again on the first
> reboot.
> At that point, it becomes necessary to restore an image of my Windows XP
> partition in order to enable booting into Windows XP. Is it possible that
> the Tekram SCSI controller is preventing the installation?
> Vista Upgrade advisor found no other problems except for Realtek audio
> which
> can be fixed with a driver upgrade.
> I have two SATA hard drives installed, a Western Digital WDC
> WD1600JS-55MHB1 as the boot drive, and a Western Digital @DC WD
> 2500KS-00MJBO. I have heard that there could be a problem installing
> Vista
> dual booting on SATA hard drives.
> Please advise as to how I may successfully install the Vista Home Premium
> in
> a dual boot mode.
> Thank you,
> --
> bobbo

bobbo

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
I attempted to upgrade the WD SATA drivers, but Windows said that there were
no better drivers than the one(s) that were in use provided by Microsoft. My
MOBO is an Asus A8N5X, and will check whether there are SATA drivers
available from Asus.
--
bobbo

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You probably need to supply the SATA controller drivers on your MOBO
>
> "bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As a home computer builder, I recently purchased an OEM version of Vista
> > Home Premium that I plan to install as a dual boot operating system with
> > Windows XP Pro.
> > I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0, which indicated that the
> > Tekram
> > SCSI controller (Tekram DC-395U/UW/F, DC-315/U or DC-305I/E PCI Ultra SCSI
> > Host Adapter V3.0.3) for my Iomega 100 Zip drive will not work in Vista.
> > So
> > far, I have been unable to install Vista in dual boot mode. I start the
> > installation, but on the first reboot I get the message “DISK READ ERROR,
> > press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart". Pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del only restarts the
> > install process but encounters the Disk Read Error again on the first
> > reboot.
> > At that point, it becomes necessary to restore an image of my Windows XP
> > partition in order to enable booting into Windows XP. Is it possible that
> > the Tekram SCSI controller is preventing the installation?
> > Vista Upgrade advisor found no other problems except for Realtek audio
> > which
> > can be fixed with a driver upgrade.
> > I have two SATA hard drives installed, a Western Digital WDC
> > WD1600JS-55MHB1 as the boot drive, and a Western Digital @DC WD
> > 2500KS-00MJBO. I have heard that there could be a problem installing
> > Vista
> > dual booting on SATA hard drives.
> > Please advise as to how I may successfully install the Vista Home Premium
> > in
> > a dual boot mode.
> > Thank you,
> > --
> > bobbo

bobbo

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
I have contacted Asus Tech support requesting driver download information on
WD SATA internal drives.
--
bobbo

"bobbo" wrote:

> I attempted to upgrade the WD SATA drivers, but Windows said that there were
> no better drivers than the one(s) that were in use provided by Microsoft. My
> MOBO is an Asus A8N5X, and will check whether there are SATA drivers
> available from Asus.
> --
> bobbo
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > You probably need to supply the SATA controller drivers on your MOBO
> >
> > "bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > As a home computer builder, I recently purchased an OEM version of Vista
> > > Home Premium that I plan to install as a dual boot operating system with
> > > Windows XP Pro.
> > > I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0, which indicated that the
> > > Tekram
> > > SCSI controller (Tekram DC-395U/UW/F, DC-315/U or DC-305I/E PCI Ultra SCSI
> > > Host Adapter V3.0.3) for my Iomega 100 Zip drive will not work in Vista.
> > > So
> > > far, I have been unable to install Vista in dual boot mode. I start the
> > > installation, but on the first reboot I get the message “DISK READ ERROR,
> > > press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart". Pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del only restarts the
> > > install process but encounters the Disk Read Error again on the first
> > > reboot.
> > > At that point, it becomes necessary to restore an image of my Windows XP
> > > partition in order to enable booting into Windows XP. Is it possible that
> > > the Tekram SCSI controller is preventing the installation?
> > > Vista Upgrade advisor found no other problems except for Realtek audio
> > > which
> > > can be fixed with a driver upgrade.
> > > I have two SATA hard drives installed, a Western Digital WDC
> > > WD1600JS-55MHB1 as the boot drive, and a Western Digital @DC WD
> > > 2500KS-00MJBO. I have heard that there could be a problem installing
> > > Vista
> > > dual booting on SATA hard drives.
> > > Please advise as to how I may successfully install the Vista Home Premium
> > > in
> > > a dual boot mode.
> > > Thank you,
> > > --
> > > bobbo

John Barnes

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
They are available on the support downloads page.
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

"bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news43F1233-00B8-4408-A919-39D02A7F78DA@microsoft.com...
>I have contacted Asus Tech support requesting driver download information
>on
> WD SATA internal drives.
> --
> bobbo
>

> "bobbo" wrote:
>
>> I attempted to upgrade the WD SATA drivers, but Windows said that there
>> were
>> no better drivers than the one(s) that were in use provided by Microsoft.
>> My
>> MOBO is an Asus A8N5X, and will check whether there are SATA drivers
>> available from Asus.
>> --
>> bobbo
>>

>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>> > You probably need to supply the SATA controller drivers on your MOBO

John Barnes

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
Use the search box in the upper left corner of the link I sent.

"bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news43F1233-00B8-4408-A919-39D02A7F78DA@microsoft.com...
>I have contacted Asus Tech support requesting driver download information
>on
> WD SATA internal drives.
> --
> bobbo
>

> "bobbo" wrote:
>
>> I attempted to upgrade the WD SATA drivers, but Windows said that there
>> were
>> no better drivers than the one(s) that were in use provided by Microsoft.
>> My
>> MOBO is an Asus A8N5X, and will check whether there are SATA drivers
>> available from Asus.
>> --
>> bobbo
>>

>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>> > You probably need to supply the SATA controller drivers on your MOBO

bobbo

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
I've been to the link you provided, but I'm not sure which download to try.
Is it this one: nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows
XP(WHQL)? .

--
bobbo

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Use the search box in the upper left corner of the link I sent.
>
> "bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news43F1233-00B8-4408-A919-39D02A7F78DA@microsoft.com...
> >I have contacted Asus Tech support requesting driver download information
> >on
> > WD SATA internal drives.
> > --
> > bobbo
> >

> > "bobbo" wrote:
> >
> >> I attempted to upgrade the WD SATA drivers, but Windows said that there
> >> were
> >> no better drivers than the one(s) that were in use provided by Microsoft.
> >> My
> >> MOBO is an Asus A8N5X, and will check whether there are SATA drivers
> >> available from Asus.
> >> --
> >> bobbo

bobbo

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
I downloaded nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows
XP(WHQL), however I don't believe there are SATA drivers there. At least,
Windows couldn't find a driver update in that download. I'm wondering
whether it's a driver problem at all, as the problem of “DISK READ ERROR,
press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart" occurs during boot up, not within Windows. I
see that the Chipset drivers are dated 7-27-2005, whereas my Asus A8N5X MB
was purchased in December 2006,... if that makes any difference.

In any event, John, I appreciate your contribution to this post.
--
bobbo

"bobbo" wrote:

> I've been to the link you provided, but I'm not sure which download to try.
> Is it this one: nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows
> XP(WHQL)? .
>
> --
> bobbo
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Use the search box in the upper left corner of the link I sent.
> >
> > "bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news43F1233-00B8-4408-A919-39D02A7F78DA@microsoft.com...
> > >I have contacted Asus Tech support requesting driver download information
> > >on
> > > WD SATA internal drives.
> > > --
> > > bobbo

Richard Urban

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
You are getting the disk read error because you had a second (an IDE hard
drive) connected when you installed Vista on your SATA drive. Am I correct?

Disconnect the 2nd, 3rd, 4th drives (all drives you are not installing Vista
to) and install Vista to the SATA drive. Boards with the Nvidia chipsets are
vulnerable to this anomaly.

After a successful boot into Vista, shut down and reconnect your other
drives. All will be well.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"bobbo" <bobbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As a home computer builder, I recently purchased an OEM version of Vista
> Home Premium that I plan to install as a dual boot operating system with
> Windows XP Pro.
> I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0, which indicated that the
> Tekram
> SCSI controller (Tekram DC-395U/UW/F, DC-315/U or DC-305I/E PCI Ultra SCSI
> Host Adapter V3.0.3) for my Iomega 100 Zip drive will not work in Vista.
> So
> far, I have been unable to install Vista in dual boot mode. I start the
> installation, but on the first reboot I get the message “DISK READ ERROR,
> press Ctrl/Alt/Del to restart". Pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del only restarts the
> install process but encounters the Disk Read Error again on the first
> reboot.
> At that point, it becomes necessary to restore an image of my Windows XP
> partition in order to enable booting into Windows XP. Is it possible that
> the Tekram SCSI controller is preventing the installation?
> Vista Upgrade advisor found no other problems except for Realtek audio
> which
> can be fixed with a driver upgrade.
> I have two SATA hard drives installed, a Western Digital WDC
> WD1600JS-55MHB1 as the boot drive, and a Western Digital @DC WD
> 2500KS-00MJBO. I have heard that there could be a problem installing
> Vista
> dual booting on SATA hard drives.
> Please advise as to how I may successfully install the Vista Home Premium
> in
> a dual boot mode.
> Thank you,
> --
> bobbo

bobbo

Re: Can't dual boot Vista Home Premium & Win XP Pro
Hello Richard, thanks for your input.

I don't have any IDE hard drives in my system, however I do have IDE DVD/CD
and IDE DVD/CD/RW drives in my system (one each). Once apon a time, I
cloned an IDE to a SATA drive using Acronis True Image, but I have done two
or three clean installs of Win XP Pro since then. I also have an external
USB HD. I also have a Tekram SCSI controller for an old internal Zip 100
drive. It's been suggested to pull the plug on the zip drive, which will be
part of my next attempt.

I haven't been able to get past the first restart when attempting to install
Vista; it always stops, displaying the disk read error.
--
bobbo