Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file

Paul J Carroll

Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I had to
upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the internet.
Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install shield
just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin dc:\windows\command.com" and
then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing back.
Malke

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
Paul J Carroll wrote:
> My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I had to
> upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the internet.
> Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install shield
> just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin dc:\windows\command.com" and
> then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing back.

Intuit (the maker of QuickBooks) has stated that only the most recent
version of QuickBooks is compatible with Vista. Do you have this
version? The fact that your error message is referencing the ancient
command.com makes me think not. If not, there's your answer. Contact
Intuit for further help with their software.

http://www.quickbooks.com/Helpcenter/vista/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
dean-dean

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
Command.com is in C:\Windows\System32\

You could try making InstallShield happy by putting a copy of that file
(don't move it) under C:\Windows\.

When you open Command Prompt, and type "Set" (without quotation marks), what
is the value for ComSpec?

"Paul J Carroll" <Paul J Carroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I had
> upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the internet.
> Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install shield
> just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin dc:\windows\command.com"
> and
> then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing
> back.

Justin Brown - SYNACS

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
On Jul 12, 7:56 am, Paul J Carroll <Paul J
Carr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I had to
> upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the internet.
> Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install shield
> just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin dc:\windows\command.com" and
> then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing back.

QuickBooks 2007 is the only version that is officially supported on
Vista. Are there any other problems you want to address? I usually
turn of IPv6 on fresh installs, but other than that HP has new printer
drivers, etc, and Vista seems to be a decent upgrade.

Paul J Carroll

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
Thanks for suggestion
Comspec value is C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
Bit nervous about messing at this level.
Quickbooks say that they have run 2005 version with only minor problems but
I suspect that this has been a current install that has been vista upgraded.
Bit gauling to have to replace software that is less than 2yrs old. In
addition quickbooks only certify 2007 version for vista and this has not been
released yet in the UK.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Command.com is in C:\Windows\System32\
>
> You could try making InstallShield happy by putting a copy of that file
> (don't move it) under C:\Windows\.
>
> When you open Command Prompt, and type "Set" (without quotation marks), what
> is the value for ComSpec?
>
> "Paul J Carroll" <Paul J Carroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I had
> > upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the internet.
> > Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install shield
> > just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin dc:\windows\command.com"
> > and
> > then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing
> > back.

dean-dean

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
No, you don't need to change your Environment Variables. Environment
variables are a set of dynamic values that can affect the way running
processes will behave on a computer. Your ComSpec value is correct. I'm
just wondering why InstallShield wasn't reading that.

Until the UK Vista compatible version comes out, you could also try
right-clicking on your InstallShield setup file, choose Properties, and on
the Compatibility tab, and choose "Run this program in compatibility mode
for Windows XP SP 2" (Apply, OK). The only caveat, though, is that
command.com on XP is also under C:\Windows\System32\. Putting a copy of
that file (don't move it) under C:\Windows\ won't hurt or change anything
(there are two notepad.exe's after all), and you can remove it after the
installation is finished.

> Thanks for suggestion
> Comspec value is C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
> Bit nervous about messing at this level.
> Quickbooks say that they have run 2005 version with only minor problems
> but
> I suspect that this has been a current install that has been vista
> upgraded.
> Bit gauling to have to replace software that is less than 2yrs old. In
> addition quickbooks only certify 2007 version for vista and this has not
> been
> released yet in the UK.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Command.com is in C:\Windows\System32\
>>
>> You could try making InstallShield happy by putting a copy of that file
>> (don't move it) under C:\Windows\.
>>
>> When you open Command Prompt, and type "Set" (without quotation marks),
>> what
>> is the value for ComSpec?
>>
>> "Paul J Carroll" <Paul J Carroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > My new vista system has given me nothing but problems. Fist of all I
>> > had
>> > upgrade the firmware in my router to get it to even talk to the
>> > internet.
>> > Now I can't get my quickbooks account system to load. the Install
>> > shield
>> > just comes up with a message saying "cannot fin
>> > dc:\windows\command.com"
>> > and
>> > then terminates. Any body got any suggestions before I send this thing
>> > back.

Paul J Carroll

Re: Compatablility of XP programmes. No Command.com file
Problem Sorted
Quickbooks 2005 Installation
Using the Installation wizard it is easy to tab through the compatability
options, especially as the wording is in the negative. Clicking the
compatability to windows XP service pack 2, run as administrator and using
the browse facility to select the setup. exe file on the CD drive gets it
loaded.
Once loaded you need to right click the link and under compatablity tab
select Run in compatability mode, and as administrator.
Hey Presto.
Just need to sort out why certain programmes wont see the network at the
moment and I'll be back up and running.

Thanks for all help. a voice in the wilderness always sustains hope.
Regards